Einstein vs Pitt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toastmaster123

Reaction score
I'm curious to get opinions on these two schools, especially since Einstein doesn't have a second look weekend. I've listed a few pros and cons below, but ultimately I feel like I'm leaning towards Pitt because of reputation, but want to make sure I consider other factors:

Einstein:

pros:
1. proximity to home, family and friends
2. seemed like a very warm environment. I could envision myself being happy here
3. strong likelihood of matching in new york area, where I'd ultimately like to end up
4. on campus apartments would be a nice way to make friends

cons:
1. I really don't like the Bronx and worry I would not like living there
2. I'm concerned about Einstein's ranking compared to Pitt's, especially as this concerns research opportunities

Pitt:

pros:
1. amazing hospital network
2. very good reputation
3. fantastic research opportunities (i am very interested in going into academic medicine)
4. I think I would like living in Pittsburgh

cons:
1. far from family
2. no on campus apartments-maybe would make it more difficult to make friends?

Members don't see this ad.

I would not be concerned at all. If your goal is to end up in New York, Einstein is the clear choice. That your friends and family are close is just another good reason to choose Einstein.

Reactions: 1 user
If cost is similar given what you want to do I would go to Einstein.

Take pitt. It is not that far from NYC and could always go back for long weekends etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd choose Pitt. But if family is super important to you and you see visiting them often then Einstein may be the way to go.

I interviewed at both and got the sense that Einstein is a very tight knit community, while Pitt students were a little more independent/spread out. With Einstein you could always live on campus for the first year to make friends then move to Upper East Side. Also Einstein is a top ten receiver of NIH funds and has very robust research, so I don't think the difference in ranking makes much of a difference in terms of research opportunities

I'd go Einstein for sure. Einstein has fantastic research and very strong reputation with New York residency programs, not to mention other ones as well.