ek 101 passages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avicenna04

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So i took the first 101 exam and scored pretty decent. I'm wondering though... did i score decent because i followed EKs strategy? In otherwords, was the test designed to give me a high mark using their OWN strategy? Just to make their strategy look good? I guess i need to take some real AAMC exams to be certain. Just makes me wonder....

I never looked back to the passage once in answering any of them. But now that i think about it, there were no questions that required specific detail from the passages.

Ok, it's 3am, just got home...better get to bed. You know you're studying for the MCAT too much when you start thinking of questions you wanna ask on SDN while clubbing. Man, i need to get this dam test over with.

Members don't see this ad.

Yea, I noticed that too. I can't help buy wonder if EK is really arrogant and bias.

1) The EK Verbal book (not the 101 series, the actual book) says "Our competitors list different methods... IGNORE ALL OF THESE". I was like okay, you know different strategies work for different people guys.

2) Later on in that book they say "Even without reading the passage you can answer questions just by reading the question stem and the answer choices." They show an example than tell you to try it on the following passage. I knew they would would make it work perfectly on that passage, so instead I tried it on the last passage in the book... I got all 7 wrong :laugh:

3) The go on to say "our competitors say 'if you want for practice material, just read everyday things so you can improve your reading skills'. Clearly our competitors simply ran out of practice material and then told their students to read everyday things instead of buying material from their competitors!"
Then in the Organic book, they say "You should only read our text. Reading other MCAT Organic books will confuse you and lower your score!!" Hmm, hypocrite anyone?

lacipart, yeah i actually agree with you, esp on point 2.

that cute little strategy of theirs seems to be just that, cute. it conveniently works on just that passage, and u can't really pull it off on most other passages

they actually claim that the passage they used for that was an AAMC one...They must have done a lot of looking around...

Members don't see this ad :)
I like their strategy.... I mean.... It makes sense.... When one reads a regular article say in a newpaper, it's not like you write things in the margin or look to note specific details. I mean, it would be smart for the AAMC to reward people who read the passage the way EK teaches it.

I read about the EK strategy but did not follow it. It just seemed too complicated, and I opted for the "read the passage, comprehend it, and answer the questions" method. I guess I had no strategy. It is afterall a reading comprehension test though. If you read things and understand them, you'll do well.

I did all of the EK101 book and it didn't help me. I got 10s on almost every single one except an 11 on one and a 12 on one. I got a 10 on the actual test.

It is pretty reflective of your performance on the actual test I think, although the passages felt different.