EK 30 min exams (Biology 1)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chiderachin

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

So one of my weak points is interpreting graphical data. In the EK 30 min exam for lecture 1, Passage 1, I'm having trouble interpreting the graph. What exactly do the "+" and "-" signs denote? Are there multiple trials that are carried out? I would really appreciate if someone could clear this up for me. Thank you and happy studying!

(note: please don't be nasty and condescending in the comments)

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• IMG_9177.JPG
    IMG_9177.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 103
+ and - are commonly used in biology to denote the presence or absence of some condition. In this case, it's marking what the sample in each lane is incubated with (what it's incubated with is on the left). So for instance, for the MHC samples, they are either incubated with just antibody (left), just Unc45b (center), or Unc45b and Hsp 90 (right).

In general, this is what + and - will refer to in biology - nothing special.

Members don't see this ad :)
+ and - are commonly used in biology to denote the presence or absence of some condition. In this case, it's marking what the sample in each lane is incubated with (what it's incubated with is on the left). So for instance, for the MHC samples, they are either incubated with just antibody (left), just Unc45b (center), or Unc45b and Hsp 90 (right).

In general, this is what + and - will refer to in biology - nothing special.

Thank you! So the band's represent that either unc454b flag or unc454b flag/hsp90 have bound to the motor domain of both MHC and fragment S1?

Thank you! So the band's represent that either unc454b flag or unc454b flag/hsp90 have bound to the motor domain of both MHC and fragment S1?

I'm not familiar with the passage but usually, the meaning is that those samples were incubated with those proteins. Whether or not they actually bound those proteins is determined by radiography, as stated explicitly in the section of the passage that was included in the picture you posted.

Oh I'm sorry for getting specific! Completely forgot that I never posted the passage. But thank you so much for your feedback. It really helped me out!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile