EK August 2004 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

princessd3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Might as well start this thread for the people taking Examkrackers. Don't think the courses started anywhere yet, but they will soon. First diagnostic is Saturday. Anyone did any studying to prepare for the diag? I surely haven't. For those taking the course, do you think the classroom prep is enough? Are you going to suppliment with anything else, AO, 1001 series?

Members don't see this ad.

They don't offer the course in my neck of the woods and I like theirs better than the kaplan books. I also got the AO, 1001 series and the minimcats are on order. I am hoping that I do well enough so that I can unload my books on another premed when I am done and recoup aprox 80% of what I spent. But only time will tell

Im waitlisted at a few schools...i just registered for the class today, Friday...im gonna see if i can get a higher score this time around...by the way, where in NY are u taking it? Im at St Johns

I'm taking it at 32nd street. Did you take a full length on Saturday?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I am in the kaplan course for the 2nd time and I also bought the EK stuff also, how to you feel that the book are different t6han Kaplan. I think that I will like the EK better they even look better. like something fun, mabye I will get tricked it to becoming friends with the Kracker and learning something

JohnB79 said:
They don't offer the course in my neck of the woods and I like theirs better than the kaplan books. I also got the AO, 1001 series and the minimcats are on order. I am hoping that I do well enough so that I can unload my books on another premed when I am done and recoup aprox 80% of what I spent. But only time will tell

For folks like JohnB79 who don't live in an area where EK courses are given but would like to use the EK material. I used the materials for the April (04) MCAT. Early on, I sent EK and email and said that, "I wasn't in an area that offered their course but, did they have a home study schedule?" They sent me a schedule that helped me lay out my study time using their material. It really helped get me organized. Drop them an email. If they don't have a self study schedule for Aug. 04, download the schedule for one of their classroom courses. It's about the same.

Since we don't have scores back for Aug '04, I can't tell you how much their material helped but, in general I found them to be really good (especially if you've had all the coursework before and are "brushing up").

And no matter if you use kaplan, TPR, or EK... Get the AAMC practice tests and take all of them under practice conditions. That was the best tip I got (again qualifying it with the fact that I have no scores to back up my opinion yet).

Good Luck.

Hi There,
I really enjoy the EK books as well.. I have the mini MCAT and bio1001 on order. For the ones of us who have looked at the home study schedule, find it intense enough? Also any feedback on the min mcat book. I think it is really cool that they offer online support with their books. Are folks planning to buy the EK practice tests?
Bye
Amy

amy73 said:
Hi There,
I really enjoy the EK books as well.. I have the mini MCAT and bio1001 on order. For the ones of us who have looked at the home study schedule, find it intense enough? Also any feedback on the min mcat book. I think it is really cool that they offer online support with their books. Are folks planning to buy the EK practice tests?
Bye
Amy

For the Home study schedule... I was working 40+ hours a week while studying and found it to be about right for me. It definately could be more intense if you want to make it. Especially if you've got more free time during the summer to study. Note I didn't really practice verbal much(should have). I did do some "pre-reading" of topics for about a month before digging into the schedule (Again I'm qualifying all this with the fact that I haven't received my MCAT scores yet. I did see a 5-7 point improvement on my practice tests though)

I think what worked best was to start plenty early, tinker with the schedule a bit, and decide what worked for me. For example I started the schedule 3 weeks early. This allowed me to "skip" a few days when I was fried and also gave me some time to re-visit some weak topics.

As far as practice tests, I did one of the EK practice tests and it was OK. I was much more impressed with the AAMC online tests (I printed them out then loaded in my answers) because of the stats and explanations.

Hey yall-
I have a question:
An unknown fluid has a specific gravity of 3. When a 12 kg object is submerged in the unknown fluid, the object's apparent weight is 30 N. What is the specific gravity of the object?
The answer choices are either 3, 4,5, or 6. I got the right answer, but im not sure how. Thanks.

Yep. I threw some isht together and got it, but i was wondering how other people solved it. Thanks

The weight of the object is 120 N the apparent weight is 30 N, so there must be a force pushing up on it in order for it to weight less. The is the buoyant force and it equals 120-30 = 90 N. Buoyant force equals = g * V(volume of liquid displaced by object) * p (density of fluid). You know the density of the fluid is 3. plug in the numbers to get the V which is 3. This volume displaced is also equal to the volume of the object (since the object is completely submerged). You know the mass of the object (12) and now you know the volume (3) so you can get the density of the object (12/3 = 4). The density of the object over the density of water (which is 1) is the specific gravity of the object. (4/1 = 4)

In case anyone is looking for it, I've had the home schedule posted on my webspace for a while now. Here is the link Home Schedule