EK BIO Book Error?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mecute

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm posting this here because I'll probably get a faster response from here than the EK messageboard. This is driving me nuts. Here goes:

Page 143 Figure 7-6 Cross-sectional Area vs. Velocity

I've looked it over and over. The figure caption says the green line is cross sectional area and the yellow line is velocity. I think its reversed. How the hell can the cross-sectional area of a capillary be larger than the cross sectional area of the aorta? Besides that fact, how can the velocity be almost nothing through the capillaries and fast through the aorta when that defies Bernoulli's principle?

Someone help me out here, I'm almost positive i'm right but I wanted to see what everyone else says. And if it is an error, DAMN that's a huge error.

Members don't see this ad.

its the total cross sectional area of all the capillaries not just one.

Yeah, I don't have my EK bio book but I'm sure Indo is right. Total cross sectional area of caps is a lot more than artery area. Look into a standard bio text for more info.

after I posted that, I read one of the questions at the end of the section, and it mentioned something about the total cross sectional area...so I had the feeling that was what they were talking about. Oh well, thanks a lot anyways. That was a little bit misleading if you ask me, lol.