EK Bio Lecture 1 Exam Q 17

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pine138

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was working through this passage in the EK bio book and do not understand question 17 at all.
Even after reading the passage, question and answer a couple of times, it still does not make sense.
My understanding is that the experiment is exploring the association between MTP and apoB/E1/E2 by inhibiting MTP (using CP346084) and measuring the level of apoB, E1, and E2 after 24hr and 48hrs and comparing this to a negative control (no inhibitor).

Ek Passage.png

EK question.png

My initial thought process:
A.) does not relate to lipoviro-particles -> eliminated
B.) since viral envelope proteins are contained within lipoviroparticles, apoB negative cells would not contain them and the virus would just shed. -> selected
C.) this does not seem relevant to lipoviro particles, inhibition of MTB also inhibits other lipoprotein formation. -> maybe
D.) would think that co-precipitation of apoB and HCV would be desired to show correlation between the two. -> eliminated

EK Answer.png

The answer addresses the proteins but not the fact that MTB inhibition also inhibits the formation of other lipoproteins (LDLs, VLDLs, etc.) that could play a role.

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

A. Doesn't involve lipoviro-particles-out
B. It's a negative apoE cell line, so it argues against the hypothesis-out
C. If MTP inhibiition affects no other protein other than apoE, then it is likely that apoE is involved in E1/E2 and not another protein. In the passage, they mention viral glycoproteins E1/E2. There is no graph/data showing that MTP inhibits TRL formation, so don't think that. "To evaluate the role in lipo-viral formation..." most likely MTP is involved in the glycoproteins (post-modification of protein). If anything, by how weak A, B, and D are it is C.
D. Talks about a particular cell line of liver cells, while the one in the experiment is different and shows the association. So it really don't doesn't help-out