EK or Princeton Review Books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snowman5214

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for additional material to study with and I have heard good things about both the EK books and Princeton Review Books. Can anyone tell me if they prefer one over the other or if they have heard one is better then the other?

Members don't see this ad.

shantster said:
I've never looked at anything with TPR, but I did EK and loved it.

If you're looking for a nice "concise" MCAT targeted review, and want to get your review done quickly - EK is recommended, it has pretty good 30 min practice passages too.

If you need to re-learn anything, or looking for "comprehensive" MCAT targeted review, TPR books are recommended.

I've got both and the BIO book is useful but I've discovered that EK books are useless to the person who has not studied the topics before or who can't remember anything from their courses.

TPR books I've also discovered, take you through the concepts step by step and has questions interspersed throughout the text that gets you thinking MCAT style and have examples that show you how to do a specific type of problem that is "popular" in the MCAT. So while TPR books seem like "too much", in fact, these books also "only teaches" you what you need to know for the MCAT, with extra stuff to help you understand. But it takes more time to go thru these books.

Agreed, my technique is in theory /for augus mcat:

1. TPR course + books
2. buy physics and Gchem from EK and hammer that in the last month because I tend to forget subtle nuances of physica and gchem without constant practice

3. also do EK verbal, but thats more practice than anything

Members don't see this ad :)
xylem29 said:
TPR books I've also discovered, take you through the concepts step by step and has questions interspersed throughout the text that gets you thinking MCAT style and have examples that show you how to do a specific type of problem that is "popular" in the MCAT. So while TPR books seem like "too much", in fact, these books also "only teaches" you what you need to know for the MCAT, with extra stuff to help you understand. But it takes more time to go thru these books.

Are you talking about ALL the TPR books in the course, or just the science workbook, or what? I've got just the science workbook but you're making me think I should get them all now.

Ortho doc,

TPR, if your Chemistry and Physics is on the weaker side, their manual for Physics Sciences is really quite good, I would recommend it. Their Science Workbook is good for starters, but back it up in a half month's time with EK 1001 Q's for good measure.

TPR Verbal is ok, better than nothign, and their biology is good, but biology is so basic you should have nothing to worry about. Overall, TPR's science prep is exhaustive, but I feel as if they could drill me on some core concepts more...which is why i bought EK.

UofT_475 said:
Ortho doc,

TPR, if your Chemistry and Physics is on the weaker side, their manual for Physics Sciences is really quite good, I would recommend it. Their Science Workbook is good for starters, but back it up in a half month's time with EK 1001 Q's for good measure.

TPR Verbal is ok, better than nothign, and their biology is good, but biology is so basic you should have nothing to worry about. Overall, TPR's science prep is exhaustive, but I feel as if they could drill me on some core concepts more...which is why i bought EK.

I'm definetely talking about the review books and not the workbook, the workbook is just a bunch of standalone and passage based questions, which I haven't gotten to yet but I'm sure these will be difficult. If you're doing the work book and are able to answer the questions and you know your science stuff already, you really don't need the review books.

xylem29 said:
I'm definetely talking about the review books and not the workbook, the workbook is just a bunch of standalone and passage based questions, which I haven't gotten to yet but I'm sure these will be difficult. If you're doing the work book and are able to answer the questions and you know your science stuff already, you really don't need the review books.

Well I was just doing the science workbook (along w/all the EK materials that I already have) and thought it was good practice, but yesterday encountered a biology passage asking about TTP being made from what, and it's a pyrimidine and I was like, "HUH? Never heard of it, and it isn't in the passage anywhere either..." So then I thought maybe I need the review book? And then what about the in class compendium? (As in, what else am I missing that isn't covered by EK?)

UofT_475 said:
Ortho doc,

Sounds good. Thanks. I have all of the EK books. Review books, 1001, 101 Verbal, AO, you name it. Just thinking since my scores in sciences after 2 tries are still low, PR might be worth a try.

Orthodoc40 said:
Sounds good. Thanks. I have all of the EK books. Review books, 1001, 101 Verbal, AO, you name it. Just thinking since my scores in sciences after 2 tries are still low, PR might be worth a try.

Ah, I see. Well, I'm not sure if you really need the PR review books b/c if you're already at the point where you're doing pratice exams, then I think - though I don't know myself b/c i've haven't done it yet myself - you just need to keep at the tests and learning from those, getting into the structure and nature of the test etc. The in class compendium is a waste, it is another book of passages with questions that are sorta difficult but worse still...it doesn't contain any explanations to the questions b/c u do them in class and the instructor goes over the questions...so don't get it, esp since u have the work book. I say, you know, keep at the tests and you'll start to improve I'm sure. I'm not saying not to get the PR books, if you can somehow get them for free then go ahead, but don't spend $200+ for it from ebay or anything. Also, I've looked at my friends books from 2005 - exact duplicate of 2006, this might be helpful info too. Don't worry bro, I'm not even 50% done with content review yet, I don't know when i'll even be able to start on full lengths so you're way ahead.

This is the question I asked a few months ago. What to use when you need a bit more detailed review. I came to TPR conclusion, since EK wasn't cutting it for me. EK are great books and follow the verbal since it works for me, but I just need a bit more than a quick to the point review. I decided to take the test again in March or April 2007, so I will be covering all the material in TPR, then go over EK and do all 1001 books. My only concern is how old TPR edition I own. Got it from ebay a few months ago, but they are the 2001 ed. The seller told me the material is the same as this years, should I take his word? Can anyone confirm this? Also there are a few things that are not on the test anylonger (fetal circulation, alkenes...) but still in the books. Does the most recent ed. still have this? Can someone check please?

Thanks in advance, E.