EK Verbal Worth It???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scotties123

GrandMacDaddy
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know alot of people say this book is a must have for verbal, but ive been reading reviews of it online and it seems that a good 1/3 of the book has unreasonable passages/questions/answers. the only reason im thinking about getting this book is because i do verbal almost every day and im starting to run out of verbal passages to work through. i use TPR A-D and verbal workbook now, but im gettin kinda low on passages. So, is Ek verbal worth getting despite the setbacks?

Members don't see this ad.

yes, get it if you need passages. They don't get much better to the real thing in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes - if you need more practice, definitely get EK. It's actually pretty good prep (IMHO); however I think the scores tend to be 1 -2 points too low (at least for me).

Wait, clarify that...do you mean that what you get on them is lower then on the actual MCAT or the other way around?

Haha because I have been doing pretty well on them, so I was hoping I was improving :scared: since I haven't taken an actual practice test in a while.

Wait, clarify that...do you mean that what you get on them is lower then on the actual MCAT or the other way around?

Haha because I have been doing pretty well on them, so I was hoping I was improving :scared: since I haven't taken an actual practice test in a while.
Oh sorry - I meant that on EK (at least for me) I was scoring 1 to 2 points LOWER than AAMC tests (and the real deal).

EK average 11 --> real deal 13

That better? Sorry to freak you out! :)

I am curious to know if you hit a rut in your improvement in the verbal section.

I just finished the last 8 passages of the verbal workbook (after reading the POE and MAPS section) and realized that, somewhere in my application of what I learned, I did pretty badly (compared to the previous 16 or so passages). I am trying to figure out why I am all of a sudden missing more questions. Got any suggestions?

Thanks

I'm finding that the Examkrackers verbal is much easier than Priceton. I don't know if anyone agrees with me on that.

The passages I find are an easier read because they're interested. I find it difficult to get the main idea in Princeton passages.

Anythoughts or am i just crazy?

I'm finding that the Examkrackers verbal is much easier than Priceton. I don't know if anyone agrees with me on that.

The passages I find are an easier read because they're interested. I find it difficult to get the main idea in Princeton passages.

That last passage #36 is crazy hard (at least when trying to read it at a 3 min read pace)...it caught me by surprise.

I am curious to know if you hit a rut in your improvement in the verbal section.

I just finished the last 8 passages of the verbal workbook (after reading the POE and MAPS section) and realized that, somewhere in my application of what I learned, I did pretty badly (compared to the previous 16 or so passages). I am trying to figure out why I am all of a sudden missing more questions. Got any suggestions?

Thanks

Well, i'm relatively improved. I'm still not doing great, but on the timed passages i've done, I have been scoring about 70% on average, as opposed to 50-60% on practice TPR exams.

Oh sorry - I meant that on EK (at least for me) I was scoring 1 to 2 points LOWER than AAMC tests (and the real deal).

EK average 11 --> real deal 13

That better? Sorry to freak you out! :)

Good news! That makes me feel a little more optomistic. :rolleyes:

Funny, I was gonna say that the EK passages were more difficult, but I'm realizing that they're just "different." I do agree that the passages are more interesting though, it's just that the questions are harder imo.

Funny, I was gonna say that the EK passages were more difficult, but I'm realizing that they're just "different." I do agree that the passages are more interesting though, it's just that the questions are harder imo.

I agree. The passages are an easier read but the questions are definitely a little whack (for me at least). The explanations kinda suck too. It definitely is good practice though.