1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

EK Verbal Worth It???

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by scotties123, May 7, 2007.

1. scotties123

scotties123 GrandMacDaddy
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i know alot of people say this book is a must have for verbal, but ive been reading reviews of it online and it seems that a good 1/3 of the book has unreasonable passages/questions/answers. the only reason im thinking about getting this book is because i do verbal almost every day and im starting to run out of verbal passages to work through. i use TPR A-D and verbal workbook now, but im gettin kinda low on passages. So, is Ek verbal worth getting despite the setbacks?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would say yes.

Good enough practice. Just make sure to judge yourself off of the AAMCs.

4. bluesTank

bluesTank Zombie
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    yes, get it if you need passages. They don't get much better to the real thing in my opinion.

5. Anastasis

Anastasis caffeinated for safety
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yes - if you need more practice, definitely get EK. It's actually pretty good prep (IMHO); however I think the scores tend to be 1 -2 points too low (at least for me).

6. bluesTank

bluesTank Zombie
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Wait, clarify that...do you mean that what you get on them is lower then on the actual MCAT or the other way around?

Haha because I have been doing pretty well on them, so I was hoping I was improving :scared: since I haven't taken an actual practice test in a while.

7. Anastasis

Anastasis caffeinated for safety
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Oh sorry - I meant that on EK (at least for me) I was scoring 1 to 2 points LOWER than AAMC tests (and the real deal).

EK average 11 --> real deal 13

That better? Sorry to freak you out! :)

8. riceman04

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am curious to know if you hit a rut in your improvement in the verbal section.

I just finished the last 8 passages of the verbal workbook (after reading the POE and MAPS section) and realized that, somewhere in my application of what I learned, I did pretty badly (compared to the previous 16 or so passages). I am trying to figure out why I am all of a sudden missing more questions. Got any suggestions?

Thanks

9. raptors

5+ Year Member

I'm finding that the Examkrackers verbal is much easier than Priceton. I don't know if anyone agrees with me on that.

The passages I find are an easier read because they're interested. I find it difficult to get the main idea in Princeton passages.

Anythoughts or am i just crazy?

10. riceman04

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That last passage #36 is crazy hard (at least when trying to read it at a 3 min read pace)...it caught me by surprise.

11. bluesTank

bluesTank Zombie
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well, i'm relatively improved. I'm still not doing great, but on the timed passages i've done, I have been scoring about 70% on average, as opposed to 50-60% on practice TPR exams.

12. bluesTank

bluesTank Zombie
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Good news! That makes me feel a little more optomistic. :rolleyes:

13. scoobie

scoobie Member
    7+ Year Member

Funny, I was gonna say that the EK passages were more difficult, but I'm realizing that they're just "different." I do agree that the passages are more interesting though, it's just that the questions are harder imo.

14. Surf Rx

7+ Year Member

I agree. The passages are an easier read but the questions are definitely a little whack (for me at least). The explanations kinda suck too. It definitely is good practice though.

15. scotties123

scotties123 GrandMacDaddy
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    thanks guys, this helped alot. ill get them for sure now.