EKG books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Claymore

Yankees Suck
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Does anyone out there have any suggestions as to a good book on the interpretation of EKG's? I'm starting my unit on cardiovascular physiology in a few weeks and need a book or two. Our professors recommended "Rapid Interpretation of EKGs" by Dubin, and also "Basic Dysrhythmias, Interpretation and Management" by Huszar. Any opinions on these or other books? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The Only EKG Book You'll Ever Need by Thaler. Great companion to Rapid Interpretation.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's ECG you crazy americans ;D
ElectroCardiogram?

Why do you call it the EKG?

disclaimer: School finished for the year 2 months ago and I've forgotten 90% of the stuff I've learned in the last two years. ;D So if the EKG is not the same as the ECG... :O

Originally posted by Purifyer
ElectroCardiogram?

disclaimer: School finished for the year 2 months ago and I've forgotten 90% of the stuff I've learned in the last two years. ;D So if the EKG is not the same as the ECG... :O

Wilhem Einthoven, a pioneer recorder of the electrical impulses of the heart, is credited with naming the machine that he used for this purpose the Electrokardiogram, or EKG. ECG is the anglicised version of the word.

As to the best introductory EKG text, I must admit to favouring Thaler's The Only EKG Book You'll Ever Need. It explains matters quite succintly. It also has the crucial advantage of actually being quite comprehensible.

But he's German (or sounds it) - I don't use German terms for anything else ;) But I do understand now - does look wierd to a non-american though :laugh:

The ECG made easy is good - but of course you're not in the UK so that's no use at all is it.... Ho hum.

Stop the posting! No more replies! This seriously, without a doubt, is the best EKG book out there...

The Art of 12-Lead EKG Interpretation, by Garcia

Ah, i love that book. Let me explain.

I used the orange EKG book by Dubin much like my colleagues, and that gives you a basic understanding of it, and indeed you will need that at first. But once you begin third year, you will see that Dubin was really more for just identifying easy rhythms...

But in Garcia's book, oh my... you will learn absolutely everything about EKGs... and its written so ANYONE can learn, there are three levels of difficulty throughout the book... and the explanations are easy to read... not only once have I looked like a stud because of busting out orthodromic WPW or Brugada's syndrome (things not in Dubins, as far as i can remember). Also, (and this is a random statement)... I have been interviewing for EM residency, and I would say about 3/4 of the attendings offices I have been in, I have seen the Garcia book in their collection.

Q

That is the one I used, and most doctors I know. It is old...but classic and has everything you will need, provided you have paid attention in the Cardiac Physiology course.

Originally posted by Purifyer
ElectroCardiogram?

THAT IS BACAUSE OVER THE YEARS PEOPLE HAVE REALISED THAT ECG SOUNDS EXACTLY LIKE EEG, ESPECIALLY ON THE PHONE, SO EKG WAS PREFFERED INSTEAD.