Electives to make me a better ENT resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CTashby

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently scheduling my electives for my fourth year. I'm already filled to capacity with ENT rotations all of which are places where I intend to apply.

What I would like to know from you is this: Which electives should i do to better prepare myself for my internship year or, even more broadly, as an ENT resident? What can i learn now that will make my life easier in the future?

I would like to do an anesthesia rotation so that i'm more familiar with what is going on in that end of the OR.

I'm also considering doing a radiology rotation to sharpen my eyes when it comes to reading films.

Plastics seems like it would be beneficial to me as well.

Please provide your own input and experiences.

Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

From some current 4th years, i was told to do neuro-radiology, and to do anesthesiology just to get more comfortable with airways.

How many ENT rotations are you guys planning on doing? i was going to do one at my school, and then one away...i was told by my chair that if you do too many you don't really learn that much more and it looks like you were just trying to get interviews.... but i still feel like 1 more wouldn't be a bad idea?

any other suggestions for 4th year would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

CTashby said:
I'm currently scheduling my electives for my fourth year. I'm already filled to capacity with ENT rotations all of which are places where I intend to apply.

What I would like to know from you is this: Which electives should i do to better prepare myself for my internship year or, even more broadly, as an ENT resident? What can i learn now that will make my life easier in the future?

I would like to do an anesthesia rotation so that i'm more familiar with what is going on in that end of the OR.

I'm also considering doing a radiology rotation to sharpen my eyes when it comes to reading films.

Thanks a lot.

From some current 4th years, i was told to do neuro-radiology, and to do anesthesiology just to get more comfortable with airways.

How many ENT rotations are you guys planning on doing? i was going to do one at my school, and then one away...i was told by my chair that if you do too many you don't really learn that much more and it looks like you were just trying to get interviews.... but i still feel like 1 more wouldn't be a bad idea?

any other suggestions for 4th year would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

CTashby said:

Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
i've done one 4 week rotation in this year and i plan on doing 2 more next year. I'm splitting them up, however, so that i can see as many programs as possible.
As far as doctors thinking that you just want to get interviews....well, thats true isn't it?
I've been told by a number of physicians in positions of power that what they care about most is actually seeing you in action and making sure that you are someone they will be able to trust with their patients and that you will be able to get along with everyone for 5 years. Of course, this is the D.O. world i'm talking about but I doubt it differs that greatly from the M.D. world.

Thanks for the info on the neuro-radiology. I'll have to see what i can find in chicago. Anesthesia for sure. just can't get enough glottis.

I think that if you have free time in your fourth year and have done an elective in oto at your school and maybe one away, and you want to do something that will help your application then do research electives. No electives will help your app like research.

Now if you want to do electives to help you be a better oto, then neuro-rads or anesthesia are good ones. Others that are good are Rad Onc, head/neck path, OMFS, and plastics. If I had to pick one that would be good, its neuro rad.

CTashby said:

Thanks a lot.

Hi there,
Also consider doing an Endocrine Surgery rotation at a good tertiary center like Mayo Clinic. You can get some great thyroid and parathyroid experience there. Also, an SICU rotation is not a bad idea either.

nbjmd :)

TheThroat said:
Now if you want to do electives to help you be a better oto, then neuro-rads or anesthesia are good ones. Others that are good are Rad Onc, head/neck path, OMFS, and plastics. If I had to pick one that would be good, its neuro rad.
Showing OMFS some love...very noble! We've had a few M.D.s rotate through with us during their residencies. It's a blast--we love giving them a taste of the dental "dark side". =)

Love your quote, by the way...one of my favorite flicks.