Electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

degoo_

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there are people in a similar position as me: Finishing MS2, no definite residency choice yet and having to choose electives. I've been wondering how best to chose them so that I'm not disadvantaged when I pick a career plan...

I'm still torn between some medical specialties, surgical, rad. I guess I've only ruled out psych and family, although they could get ruled back in.
Thanks.

If anyone has advice on picking a specialty that's appreciated too... I've done most of the online things and shadowed extensively.

edit:
I should clarify, I'm in Canada. Here, I believe only our marks from third year appear on the "report card" that our school sends out. The schools you apply to will see the electives you're doing in fourth year but there will be no marks for them at that point.
I want to know which electives the students who are yet to "differentiate" take.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
phospho: A lot of people know what they're interested in very early, although some invest too much in one area and discover they like another
Those who know what they like can pick electives in that general area.

phospho: A lot of people know what they're interested in very early, although some invest too much in one area and discover they like another
Those who know what they like can pick electives in that general area.

I would say if you have any interest in surgery make sure you do at least a few sub-surgical electives. If you pick a notoriously difficult one (Vascular or Neurosurgery) it will be a good way to see if you are "meant for surgery." I think many/most medical students like surgery, the main consideration comes down to whether or not you can handle the long hours, call, etc. And, if you decide surgery is not for you after these electives and want to do IM you are not at any disadvantage.