Electronic Stethoscopes in the ED setting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rockingdoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I was wondering whether any of the ED docs here have used the electronic stethoscopes (Littmann 3000 or 4100) in a busy, noisy ED setting? How is it when compared to the traditional analog ones?
I did try searching for this topic in other threads, but there were not many opinions available about this topic. Most docs like Master Cardio or Cardio 3, but how are they when compared to the e scopes?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!

I was wondering whether any of the ED docs here have used the electronic stethoscopes (Littmann 3000 or 4100) in a busy, noisy ED setting? How is it when compared to the traditional analog ones?
I did try searching for this topic in other threads, but there were not many opinions available about this topic. Most docs like Master Cardio or Cardio 3, but how are they when compared to the e scopes?

I havent seen many used but I sure wish I would have had one the other day for recording purposes. We had a LOUD 'Hammans Crunch' that would have been cool to record...

Hi everyone!

Bought a ThinkLabs Medical electronic stethoscope. $200. Waste of my money. Big regret. Junky. Bulky. And does not work. Perhaps Littman does a better job. Sometimes I think all of those reviews out there are fabricated by the proprietors/companies.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an autoimmune hearing loss and my ThinkLabs helps me out a lot. Only thing I don't like about it is that I can't put it in my pocket. It does have a learning curve to it as the amplified sounds are a bit different from what you normally hear on a regular stethoscope. A few people with normal hearing have played around with my scope & haven't really liked it. I don't know that there's any benefit to getting an electronic stethoscope unless you have a hearing loss.

Every time you listen = additional charge on their bill.. right?

They might be nice, but if I was worried about breaking my stethoscope then what would I use as a reflex hammer?

Good point.

To alter the thread slightly: I have the Littman CLassic II which works well-enough, and as a relfex hammer. Do those of you using the cardio models find they are that much better? I've borrowed a few, and seems to be better, but before I buy, who has used one for a long time?

My favorite are the people who think that because you listen to 4 spots on their heart, that you're "looking for" their heart.

I've found the stethescope helps most to allow you to ignore the other people in the room. Pretend you can't hear them and they shut up usually.

My favorite are the people who think that because you listen to 4 spots on their heart, that you're "looking for" their heart.

I've found the stethescope helps most to allow you to ignore the other people in the room. Pretend you can't hear them and they shut up usually.
Both of your thoughts are hilarious - and (the second one) oh so true!

I've never had anyone say anything like this. Now that you mention it, I'm a bit surprised that I haven't.

:thumbup: an oft-used method, for sure

Dr.McNinja said:

I use it mostly to figure out who really has abdominal pain with palpation and who is just pretending...

The pretenders don't wince or moan when I listen to their stomach then push in hard with the stethoscope, but they put on quite a show when moments later I push with my hand.

Conversely, after giving you a dumb stare for the five minutes that you are trying to shake some sort of history out of their parent with dementia, the minute I put the earpieces in is the exact moment they decide to blurt out some key piece of information like "He threw up blood this morning" or "I gave him a triple dose of his digoxin for the past three days by accident".

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Unless you have hearing loss, the weak link in auscultation is your brain, not your ears. Conventional stethoscopes last over five years without any delicate electronics or even a single battery change. They only don't die when they get wet. And, speaking from experience, there is nothing more aggravating than getting a low battery warning on your stethoscope when you are walking into the ED at the beginning of a night shift.

I definitely prefer Siemens ultrasound machines to Sonosite, even though the latter are more popular.

I use it mostly to figure out who really has abdominal pain with palpation and who is just pretending...

The pretenders don't wince or moan when I listen to their stomach then push in hard with the stethoscope, but they put on quite a show when moments later I push with my hand.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Play it up by saying "now I'm going to LISTEN to your abdominal sounds" then "ok now I am going to press on your belly to examine you."

Electronic steth: no reason to ever buy one unless, as Mom said, you have hearing trouble. It might be kind of cool to get to play with one when you were first learning auscultation but after that - nothing. There is nothing left in medicine that you need to do with a stethoscope that requires that level of amplification. Murmurs --> echos. Crackles --> CXRs.