Elementary of Biochemistry vs Biochemistry for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lyn92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently finishing up my bachelor's degree, and I was concerned about what type of biochemistry course would be the most helpful to take, before taking the MCAT.

The medical school I want to attend require 1 course of biochemistry, and they said that elementary of biochemistry will suffice, but will that be enough for the MCAT test? will I be ready after taking only the elementary course? Or will I have a better chance on the MCAT if I take a general biochemistry course rather than the elementary?

Also, I have another question about organic chemistry. will taking general organic chemistry 1 be enough for the MCAT? or is it better to take Ochm 1 and 2? what would be more helpful for the MCAT? will it be enough just by taking general Ochm 1? is elementary of organic chemistry even an option for the MCAT, or is that too low of a level?

Please let me know about your recommendations and what helped you be fully prepared for the MCAT, when it came to these two courses. Any other course recommendations will also be helpful.

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

What's the difference between the regular and elementary versions of those courses at your school?