PhD/PsyD Eliminating postdoctoral training as a requirement for licensure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calimich

Associate Professor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
We were given this article from our internship TD to discuss in prosem:

Eliminating postdoctoral training as a requirement for licensure: Perceptions and anticipated impacts.
Boon, Austin T.; Lutz, David J.; Marburger, Katie M.
Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, Vol 46(1), Feb 2015, 62-69. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/a0038198

anyone else familiar with it? thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I am not, but seems logical to me unless one is persuing specialized training.

I haven't read the article, but I've seen the topic kicked around. I'd be okay w. it *if* accreditation was more stringent at the program level (to ensure more uniformed training) and "specialized" areas of training were better protected from hack "I took a weekend seminar" clinicians. I think if we could phase out general post-docs and phase in required boarding for speciality areas…I'd be in favor of it.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't read the article, but I've seen the topic kicked around. I'd be okay w. it *if* accreditation was more stringent at the program level (to ensure more uniformed training) and "specialized" areas of training were better protected from hack "I took a weekend seminar" clinicians. I think if we could phase out general post-docs and phase in required boarding for specialty areas…I'd be in favor of it.
this would be the wisest solution yet the world is not wise.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for mentioning that article, it was super interesting! I love how everyone agrees that licensure requirements should be consistent across states. Wouldn't that be the day...

Also, with regards to setting stricter and more standardized requirements for internship, how the heck could you do that anymore than is already implemented? Short of requiring only APA internships, I mean?

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't read the article, but I've seen the topic kicked around. I'd be okay w. it *if* accreditation was more stringent at the program level (to ensure more uniformed training) and "specialized" areas of training were better protected from hack "I took a weekend seminar" clinicians. I think if we could phase out general post-docs and phase in required boarding for speciality areas…I'd be in favor of it.

This is congruent with the authors' suggestions -- eliminate "generic" postdocs, reform internship to include competency-based along hours-based standards, allow licensure after internship, and use the year after graduation for specialization and boarding. They sell it as a win-win: sites could charge more for work done by newly graduated but yet unlicensed docs, and new professionals could begin earning those high LP salaries a year earlier and thus be able to pay down debt sooner.

Their study also showed that only 41% of 300 folks surveyed (81% non-students) actually knew the nitty gritty of hours & years required for licensure.

Reactions: 1 users