Elution Vs Retention time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SyrianHero

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between the elution time and retention time in Gas Chromatography? What does a high elution time indicate vs a high retention time.

Members don't see this ad.

What is the difference between the elution time and retention time in Gas Chromatography? What does a high elution time indicate vs a high retention time.
Pretty sure this type of thing is on the MCAT.
I haven't heard of "elution time" but if I had to guess I'd say it's the same thing as retention time. When something elutes that just means that it has traveled through the column and left it. If you record the amount of time it takes for something to leave a column, it'd be the same as the amount of time it was in the column (which by definition is retention time). Just an educated guess though.

Elution time is retention time in GC. Elution just means that it comes off of the column to the detector. Longer retention time = longer elution time because it takes longer to come off the column.