EM chances for MD/DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tux4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I was wondering if I could get feedback on my chances to match a solid EM program. I would prefer to match into a large MD academic program so I would have an opportunity to do some research as well.

-OMS 3
-Comlex 1: >670
-usmle 1: > 250
-Top 15% of class in pre-clin
-Honors in first few rotations including EM.
-Around 6-7 research experiences by the time I apply (pubs/presentations/abstracts) not related to EM
-I can interview very well and think I would be fine auditioning

Is it possible to match these programs as a DO with my stats? What else should I do to help myself, besides doing well on step 2? Do they all mostly require you to do a rotation there to be considered? When should I start applying to rotate there? My school doesn't offer any sort of guidance on these matters.

Members don't see this ad.

Chances are slim. You at least need > 270 to even think about acgme as a DO.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am a current MD applicant to EM. Your app seems pretty strong. I would say do well on Step 2 and apply to places you are interested in and who have a history of taking DOs. I feel like most EM programs are quite DO-friendly, at least most of the places I have interviewed/rotated. Try to rotate at places that are of particular interest to you and destroy the rotations; that is helpful for any applicant, DO or MD. Apply broadly, and you should get plenty of interviews.

There are plenty of programs that give excellent training. The question is do you want to make money, or do you want to make tenure at Famous Brands?

Nice humble brag, might as well throw in some derm & ortho as backup. You'll match into one of the top academic programs, just have to find which one has a history of taking DOs before.

Reactions: 5 users
Dude, you're in great position. I can't really tell if @Ddrumem is being a troll or not. Anyways, you may not match into an elite program, but I can't imagine that you won't get a ton of interviews and end up somewhere really solid. I looked into DO's matching into the elite EM resideinces, and that seems close to impossible, but surely you'll end up somewhere respectable. If you can't, then I may end up doing a residency at Minute Clinic inside a Walmart.

Dude, you're in great position. I can't really tell if @Ddrumem is being a troll or not. Anyways, you may not match into an elite program, but I can't imagine that you won't get a ton of interviews and end up somewhere really solid. I looked into DO's matching into the elite EM resideinces, and that seems close to impossible, but surely you'll end up somewhere respectable. If you can't, then I may end up doing a residency at Minute Clinic inside a Walmart.

Straight trollin.'

Reactions: 1 user
Hey I was wondering if I could get feedback on my chances to match a solid EM program. I would prefer to match into a large MD academic program so I would have an opportunity to do some research as well.

-OMS 3
-Around 6-7 research experiences by the time I apply (pubs/presentations/abstracts) not related to EM

Is it possible to match these programs as a DO with my stats? What else should I do to help myself, besides doing well on step 2? Do they all mostly require you to do a rotation there to be considered? When should I start applying to rotate there? My school doesn't offer any sort of guidance on these matters.

Your stats are fine, but the honest reality is, in order for you to be taken seriously at some of the "bigger name" places, you'll need to rotate there and make a great impact. In addition, you'll need to get an EM specific LOR that is unique to our specialty: http://www.cordem.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3743. Only EM faculty from EM residency programs can fill it out. Don't bother getting one at an AOA place because no one will know them except for within that region.

You apply for audition rotations via VSAS starting early 2016. Programs have differing start dates so look through VSAS early to get an idea of which programs being accepting applications when.

Good luck!

With these stats and research experience, you should be asking about your chances of matching urology.

Unless you are aiming for specific top notch EM programs, I foresee that you won't have a problem getting plenty of interviews.

Straight trollin.'
I'm definitely trollin. Not sure why someone in 99th percentile has to ask about their chances. A quick search will give you an answer. Maybe I'm just from a bygone era of looking things up on my own.

I believe most patients expect their physician to know how to Google. Because they do.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I specifically asked about MD academic programs. I have no idea how competitive it is now compared to 5+ years ago or even 2 cycles ago because it changes so often...which is what most google searches reveal. Coming from a DO school it is notoriously difficult to match decent MD programs and I have no idea what it is like for EM programs. All I want is insight into this, not other opinions.
Urology sounds awful btw. I just want to do something I would enjoy

I specifically asked about MD academic programs. I have no idea how competitive it is now compared to 5+ years ago or even 2 cycles ago because it changes so often...which is what most google searches reveal. Coming from a DO school it is notoriously difficult to match decent MD programs and I have no idea what it is like for EM programs. All I want is insight into this, not other opinions.
Urology sounds awful btw. I just want to do something I would enjoy

You said in your OP you wanted "feedback" but now you want "insight" but not "opinions." What exactly are you asking for? Anyhow, the objective data from last year is right here: http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Main-Match-Results-and-Data-2015_final.pdf. Perhaps you need to work on your Google-fu?

I think you are being a little dramatic. EM is not so volatile despite its perception here on SDN. The data shows that the questions you are asking about (board scores, class rank, # of pubs, etc) are increasing at a rate consistent with other specialties. I guess the fill rates are getting closer and closer to 100% each year, but EM is still not derm, uro, et al.

Also, it is not notoriously difficult to match into "decent MD programs" from a DO school. You must be motivated and strategic - and I am guessing by your scores that you are, so relax. While it is true that there are still some specialties at some places that will be very hard even for the most qualified DO applicant, it isn't as tough as you are making it out to be. You will be fine.

Good luck!

You said in your OP you wanted "feedback" but now you want "insight" but not "opinions." What exactly are you asking for? Anyhow, the objective data from last year is right here: http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Main-Match-Results-and-Data-2015_final.pdf. Perhaps you need to work on your Google-fu?

I think you are being a little dramatic. EM is not so volatile despite its perception here on SDN. The data shows that the questions you are asking about (board scores, class rank, # of pubs, etc) are increasing at a rate consistent with other specialties. I guess the fill rates are getting closer and closer to 100% each year, but EM is still not derm, uro, et al.

Also, it is not notoriously difficult to match into "decent MD programs" from a DO school. You must be motivated and strategic - and I am guessing by your scores that you are, so relax. While it is true that there are still some specialties at some places that will be very hard even for the most qualified DO applicant, it isn't as tough as you are making it out to be. You will be fine.

Good luck!

Thank you, I appreciate all the help!

There's an EM resident who posts here from time to time, who had better scores than you a few years back and had problems at top programs. He was quite vocal about it, so I think your post is warranted in all honesty. You would be better off posting on the EM forums and the pming the DOs who reply for more specific info. Good luck man.

There's an EM resident who posts here from time to time, who had better scores than you a few years back and had problems at top programs. He was quite vocal about it, so I think your post is warranted in all honesty. You would be better off posting on the EM forums and the pming the DOs who reply for more specific info. Good luck man.
Sylvanthus

What are some good academic programs that OP would have a shot at (i.e. Which programs are open to DOs with good scores)?

Respectfully, I still think it's an unnecessary post. With a little research, we can see that it's possible to get those academic residencies. USC took two DO's last year, there's a DO at UCLA from RVU, Cook County has a DO, etc. The OP knows his/her stats are great. Regardless of stats, the OP's game plan does not change. He/she needs to do a couple of aways at good institutions, get good SLOES, and apply broadly to both competitive and less competitive places. With a 250+ step 1, almost all places are open in EM. This isn't ortho or derm.

-OMS 3

Your chances are really good. Just don't get too cocky and only apply to top academic programs in competitive locations. There are still some programs that don't take DOs or only take DOs with strong ties to the program (rotated there, did research there, used to work there). Apply broadly with a good mix of programs and you should be fine. If there's a specific region of the country you want to end up in make sure to do an away rotation there if possible.

Respectfully, I still think it's an unnecessary post. With a little research, we can see that it's possible to get those academic residencies. USC took two DO's last year, there's a DO at UCLA from RVU, Cook County has a DO, etc. The OP knows his/her stats are great. Regardless of stats, the OP's game plan does not change. He/she needs to do a couple of aways at good institutions, get good SLOES, and apply broadly to both competitive and less competitive places. With a 250+ step 1, almost all places are open in EM. This isn't ortho or derm.

The climate for matching into EM has most likely changed since Sylvanthus' time (funny part is that its not that long ago). In 2012 only 68% of programs would interview DOs and in 2014 77% of programs would interview DOs. Even a competitive applicant such as Sylvanthus still got into a good program (even if he considered it mid-term). So it would be fair to say a competitive applicant would have a decent shot at least a mid-tier program in this current environment.