Yeah, every year I've picked up some people on the interview list from the residency fair that I otherwise probably wouldn't have because they would have gotten put on the backburner in the 1000 apps you have to review to get to 80 interviews. Look, once you figure 30 students rotating (in a nl year), plus looking at in state apps, plus apps from people who applied for rotation but couldn't schedule, like 75% of the interviews are already taken up. So its a TON of apps for relatively few spots. The issue is USUALLY the residency fairs (EMRA and the ACOEP one) are AFTER I've already looked at the first batch of applications. So at that point we have some interviews, but not a ton. The ACOEP one comes so late usually we are filled up and just filling a wait list.
This year is different because both fairs are actually before ERAS even opens. So you have the potential for far more invites to be open at the time of the fairs. And its free and online, there's virtually no barriers to attending it. Plus students are limited on how many places they can speak to. So it has the ability to let you know who is actually interested in hearing more about your program, not just who could afford to fly across the country and who could go talk to 50 diff places.
So I DEFINITELY think this year will be more useful for programs trying to determine who has an interest.
Personally, I wouldn't worry about what you say. That's not the point of the fair IMO. It's not an interview. Anyone who stops by at the fair to my table gets their app looked at and I decide on whether to interview them. I can't look at 1000 apps for 20-30 interviews (after the rotator + in state group). Once full, your full and there just isn't a point at looking at say the last 400 apps once you've already got 80 scheduled and a waitlist of 50. So to me, the point of the fair is an indication of interest, and so it allows me to at least find the students in that pile of 1000 applicants who have said interest and pick their apps out of the pile to look at them for consideration.