EM Residency with low comlex level 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wonderwoman1010

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm fairly new to student doctor network but got my comlex level 1 score back today and am really in need of some guidance.

I had really been looking into doing an EM residency but after getting my comlex level 1 score today of 504 I'm very worried that this isn't a possibility. I took USMLE about 2 weeks ago and am waiting on that score. I'm also in the top 15% of my class so I'm hoping that'll help but I'm not sure. Is it still possible to match into a good EM residency with this score?

Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say so.
Auditions are key with aoa programs in EM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, if you aren't geographically restricted, that'll work in your favor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!

I'm fairly new to student doctor network but got my comlex level 1 score back today and am really in need of some guidance.

I had really been looking into doing an EM residency but after getting my comlex level 1 score today of 504 I'm very worried that this isn't a possibility. I took USMLE about 2 weeks ago and am waiting on that score. I'm also in the top 15% of my class so I'm hoping that'll help but I'm not sure. Is it still possible to match into a good EM residency with this score?

Thanks for any advice!

All ACGME EM residencies are "good". You'll get good training wherever you match. If you want a prestigious name just for the sake of the name, you may have a hard time since many prestigious University places arent the most DO friendly to begin with.

Reactions: 1 user
All ACGME EM residencies are "good". You'll get good training wherever you match. If you want a prestigious name just for the sake of the name, you may have a hard time since many prestigious University places arent the most DO friendly to begin with.

Ya no I guess when I say "good" just good training. The name of the program doesn't need mean so much to me. Honestly just trying to match into an EM residency is the ultimate goal

I'd say so.
Auditions are key with aoa programs in EM

Awesome. I know I know so much more than what my test score reflects so I'm hoping that was just a bad performance and I can perform so much better in rotations. And obviously I have places I'd like to stay for residency but I'm not tied down in any respects.

If you aren't geographically tied to one area, and aren't diehard concerned with matching at a place with a big name, you should hopefully be fine if you do well on clinical rotations. There are tons of community EM programs out there that match people with board scores in that range. Boards are only one (small) piece of the puzzle, clinical performance means so very much more.

If you aren't geographically tied to one area, and aren't diehard concerned with matching at a place with a big name, you should hopefully be fine if you do well on clinical rotations. There are tons of community EM programs out there that match people with board scores in that range. Boards are only one (small) piece of the puzzle, clinical performance means so very much more.

Any idea on where those programs might be? Or how to go about finding them? I've been looking up some programs I'm interested in but can't seem to find score data for them.

Any idea on where those programs might be? Or how to go about finding them? I've been looking up some programs I'm interested in but can't seem to find score data for them.

Programs don't typically offer this type of data. I would just apply broadly, and target ACGME programs that have historically taken DOs. You can check their websites, current classes, and sometimes it's even illustrated in their application criteria. Don't be afraid to contact programs either with your interest in apply/rotating.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Programs don't typically offer this type of data. I would just apply broadly, and target ACGME programs that have historically taken DOs. You can check their websites, current classes, and sometimes it's even illustrated in their application criteria. Don't be afraid to contact programs either with your interest in apply/rotating.

Check out www.emra.org/match

You can search by program and find the breakdown of % DOs in each program. This is information that was collected directly by a survey of program directors.

You can also filter on Step 1 score cutoffs, etc. but they dont include COMLEX data.

Check out www.emra.org/match

You can search by program and find the breakdown of % DOs in each program. This is information that was collected directly by a survey of program directors.

You can also filter on Step 1 score cutoffs, etc. but they dont include COMLEX data.

While you can find the % of DOs in each program, I was mostly referring to average step scores of specific programs.

I will say this, programs can be DO friendly and not have a current DO as a part of their PGY classes. So contacting places and doing research would be a good idea.