EM vs. FM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wa_medic

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which do you feel better prepares one for work as a special forces doc?

Members don't see this ad.

More than either, being ex-special forces. I know a couple of docs who were such, one a SEAL and another a PJ - they have a lot more street cred within that community than your average HPSPer.

Beyond that - probably doesn't matter. You'll get more trauma exposure in EM, but it's not like you're going to be working in an ER. Through ATLS, CSTARS, C4, etc, you'll be getting enough training for what you would be expected to manage trauma-wise.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you please elaborate on this?

The SF docs I know didn't do a residency in EM or FM. They did an internship, got screwed in the military match, and picked a SF unit rather than a conventional one. Now they're SF docs. That's all there is to it. Take an HPSP scholarship, don't do well in med school, pick a competitive specialty you won't match into, and voila....SF doc!

Based on my limited experience, I'd have to agree - the ex-SEAL was a non-residency dive doc and I believe the ex-PJ was a non-residency flight surgeon.