Research for IM/FM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tjdwlgns612

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm a current OMS-1 in the Navy HPSP and very interested in IM (possibly even FM). How important is research, especially for military residencies for these specialties? I'll be honest, I absolutely despise doing research so if I didn't do one, would it affect my application for IM/FM military residencies?

Other than that, I would love any advice on how to better prepare my application for military IM/FM residencies going forward. Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

The residency application process/scoring just changed, and I haven't read up on all the details. Used to be, 1-2 case reports as a co-author would max out the available scoring. Even then, I'm not sure how much of an impact it had in the end. Consultants and program directors still had a decent amount of latitude.

Spots do vary by service and by year, but I wouldn't think IM or FM would be so competitive you'd need to worry about that.

If you have an opportunity as a 3rd or 4th year to write up something with a staff, it's not going to hurt. Grades, boards, and recommendations will almost certainly carry more weight than if you did research or published.

Talk to a junior resident at one of the Navy IM/FM programs, they'll have a a better feel for what recent applicants did.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user