Research for IM/FM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tjdwlgns612

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,

I'm a current OMS-1 in the Navy HPSP and very interested in IM (possibly even FM). How important is research, especially for military residencies for these specialties? I'll be honest, I absolutely despise doing research so if I didn't do one, would it affect my application for IM/FM military residencies?

Other than that, I would love any advice on how to better prepare my application for military IM/FM residencies going forward. Thank you all.
 
The residency application process/scoring just changed, and I haven't read up on all the details. Used to be, 1-2 case reports as a co-author would max out the available scoring. Even then, I'm not sure how much of an impact it had in the end. Consultants and program directors still had a decent amount of latitude.

Spots do vary by service and by year, but I wouldn't think IM or FM would be so competitive you'd need to worry about that.

If you have an opportunity as a 3rd or 4th year to write up something with a staff, it's not going to hurt. Grades, boards, and recommendations will almost certainly carry more weight than if you did research or published.

Talk to a junior resident at one of the Navy IM/FM programs, they'll have a a better feel for what recent applicants did.
 
Last edited: