Emailing programs addressing geography

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shawno19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I only applied to 2 programs within 200 miles of where I grew up (Boston) or where I went to medical school or did my undergrad (Texas). I know this is probably peak anxiety season waiting for interviews, so not sure if I am over thinking it but I have read several times the last couple weeks how geography will play an even bigger part in who gets interviews and the rank order, since there was less options to show how serious applicants were about a region.

So I was debating on whether I should email (or should I use the message feature through ERAS?) the programs I applied to explaining my interest in that area and why I applied there, or if that would come off as annoying or just not even matter at all.

I'm probably in that lower 1/3 group for competitiveness; nontraditional, 220 step 1, 500/555comlex level 1/2, DO school, no red flags, 6 years of work experience as an ER tech and a couple other healthcare jobs. I only applied to 48 programs, I feel like I did a decent job at, for the most part, only applying to programs I have a chance at and would actually want to match at. If I were more competitive and/or had applied to 100 programs I would probably just ride it out and assume I will get enough interviews to be confident in matching, but now I am stressing a bit on whether I need to be more proactive or not.

Members don't see this ad.

yes - email them. I would advise having at least 2 stellar reasons why you would be a good fit for their program aside from it's close to home. Though being close to home does count for something. it means you would likely stay in the area after residency and help serve that area's need.

Reactions: 1 user