Embryo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carve em up

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know embryo is not high-yield, but the Qbank questions on this subject are kicking my @$$. Is there a concise, effective resource to review embryo, First Aid is not cutting it.

Members don't see this ad.

I went throuhg HY Embryo in a few hours today, and thought it was very complete, while sitll a pretty quick read. I'm doing the Qbank tomorrow, so we'll see how good it really is.

What are the rest of you doing in terms of studying embryo? Because I heard through word of mouth that it was low yield, I hadn't set aside any time to review it. I was just going to learn what was presented in FA. But now I'm having 2nd thoughts. I don't want to miss easy ?s b/c I only studied what was in FA... :oops: :confused:

I had just planned on reviewing FA, but I think that I might borrow someone's HY, which begs the question, am I really going to retain any of what I have been reading? I learned a few subjects really well (Pharm, Micro, Path, Physio), which might lend themselves well to the casual read-type review I am doing now (ie. just refreshing my memory). The others may not and I don't really have time to do anything else. Hopefully they wont show on the exam in significant amounts! :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am planning on using FA as my sole source for embryo and histo. They seem to be the lowest yield. What is everyone else using?

First aid only. use your time for path and pharm. they will ask the questions mostly from first aid and whatever is not in that will not be in high yield or any other review book. be prepared to see questions that you have never seen before.

Thanks musicman.

I would rather know FA cold than read many review books and not retain a thing. I'm using Goljan's new book, BRS physio, and FA. That should be sufficient considering the Goljan book has a little bit of everything.

I read the Kaplan Anatomy Lecture Notes. They have a nice brief embryo section as well as a few pages of embryo before every organ system. Kaplan is nice becuase it reads more like a textbook, with explanations, as opposed to FA which is justs lists of stuff that you should already know. I think its easier to remember stuff if you have a story about it instead of lists.

Kaplan notes are an easy read an I think if you picture the fetus developing in your head once you won't forget. After going through the stuff in Kaplan I cement it in by reading FA and jotting down any stuff that FA leaves out in the margins. Did the same thing for Histo and Biochem.

Seems to be working so far...my Embryo and Bicochem, Genetics, etc. scores on qbank have gone from low 60's to mid 80's-lower 90's and a 100 in one dicipline. The trick is remembering all this 4 weeks from now :eek:

The way I look at it is that my first two years were the "story". That is probably the biggest aspect in preparing for the boards. It doesn't really matter what review books you use if you didn't work hard for the past two years. I forgot to mention that I am also using Qbank along with a few other question sources. The questions are probably of more value than anything else to give you an idea of how they are going to present the questions.

unc12 said:
The way I look at it is that my first two years were the "story". That is probably the biggest aspect in preparing for the boards. It doesn't really matter what review books you use if you didn't work hard for the past two years. I forgot to mention that I am also using Qbank along with a few other question sources. The questions are probably of more value than anything else to give you an idea of how they are going to present the questions.

Problem is that I heard the biochem/genetics and gross/embryo "stories" almost 2 years ago and while I was still getting accustomed to med school. I actually did very well in both courses but I dont remember much, therefore I like to read a review book that puts things into words instead of lists. Its not like I'm reading the textbook all over again. The same is not true of path and pharm as I just finished those and there lists would be great as refreshers. Just my oppinion.

As far as questions--- i couldn't agree more. I think they are by far the best way to study for exams. You can read something a million times over and think you got it but its not until you get a question wrong and understand why you got it wrong that you really begin to grasp the concepts.