Emergency Medicine 2014-2015 Residency Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah i get that programs interview 10x more. Just trying to figure out how many people they email first and hence determine if hope still exists. Im genuinely shocked i didn't hear back from lukes, akron and Einstein yet. They are very DO friendly and i thought they would have liked me :-(

When did you apply? How many real SLOEs do you have, who are they from, and what do you think they say about you?

Members don't see this ad.

When will they come? My problem is that I only have 2 acgme so far. I applied to 46 acgme. If ppl in the interview thread already got invited from places I applied and they didn't rotate, doesn't that mean I'm kinda screwed? If I use this logic, that means I only have maybe 25 programs left, which means I might only get like 6 more interviews. I didn't realize being a DO would suck this much. That's y I did 3 rotations and honored at least 2. The third could be honors too cuz my school admin looked and gave me an okay to upload it. Also step 2>step 1 with high 250s. Top 5 ppl in class of 135-145. Like dude wtf

Do you have good ECs otherwise? The way I have always looked at it (and I may have a different perspective due to my background I guess) is that when your application is in a sea of really high scoring applicants, sometimes its almost as if you will never stand out. Maybe being a DO is a harder battle also, but in my opinion if you did your homework and chose the places that are relatively DO friendly it won't matter much.

I mean, I have a Step 1-212 and Step 2-227 (I won't even mention my rank because it will make you sad for me) and I've gotten 3 ACGME interviews since it opened, plus 2 more from rotations. You can't always rely on scores. However, I am guessing that you have a solid application otherwise. Honestly, last year my boyfriend applied to EM with ridiculous scores (higher than or at least equal to yours), and he didn’t get many interviews until mid October. He ended up with 13 in the end. You're definitely not screwed yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have good ECs otherwise? The way I have always looked at it (and I may have a different perspective due to my background I guess) is that when your application is in a sea of really high scoring applicants, sometimes its almost as if you will never stand out. Maybe being a DO is a harder battle also, but in my opinion if you did your homework and chose the places that are relatively DO friendly it won't matter much.

I mean, I have a Step 1-212 and Step 2-227 (I won't even mention my rank because it will make you sad for me) and I've gotten 3 ACGME interviews since it opened, plus 2 more from rotations. You can't always rely on scores. However, I am guessing that you have a solid application otherwise. Honestly, last year my boyfriend applied to EM with ridiculous scores (higher than or at least equal to yours), and he didn’t get many interviews until mid October. He ended up with 13 in the end. You're definitely not screwed yet.
Yeah i have a master's that yielded two pubs but i wasn't first author and it's not related to em. I just want an idea of a date that's a good time to freak out but also early enough to add 15 more programs. I was told by two PDs who knew my app well that 40 was more than enough. I feel like emailing them now and asking wtf lol

Well if you are DO and have 3 acgme interviews right now I feel better. I guess i should stop comparing myself to drdancr and the rest of that crew

When will they come? My problem is that I only have 2 acgme so far. I applied to 46 acgme. If ppl in the interview thread already got invited from places I applied and they didn't rotate, doesn't that mean I'm kinda screwed? If I use this logic, that means I only have maybe 25 programs left, which means I might only get like 6 more interviews. I didn't realize being a DO would suck this much. That's y I did 3 rotations and honored at least 2. The third could be honors too cuz my school admin looked and gave me an okay to upload it. Also step 2>step 1 with high 250s. Top 5 ppl in class of 135-145. Like dude wtf

My only ACGME interview invites came in November. Interviewed on the very last date at one place. And ended up matching. But this is also why I tell DO students who ask me for advice to apply the first day the DO apps open and then apply again when the MD apps open. You can always cancel the DO interviews if you get enough MD ones, but it is way too late to apply to DO programs after you realize you won't be getting many MD invites. I had 4-5 DO interviews before October last year that I actually went to. Not only was it good practice for the later interviews, but it was also nice to know I had those in my back pocket should the MD invites not come.

My only ACGME interview invites came in November. Interviewed on the very last date at one place. And ended up matching.
How many acgme interviews did you have? And I'm guessing the ppl who invited you invited others in October and you didn't fret? I guess I should stop thinking not gettin an interview during the first round was a bad thing

I didn't fret because I had about 10 DO interview invites by the end of October. Didn't end up with many MD invites, but I went with my gut in the match, and it worked out. I did freak out when I decided to do the MD match.

I didn't fret because I had about 10 DO interview invites by the end of October. Didn't end up with many MD invites, but I went with my gut in the match, and it worked out. I did freak out when I decided to do the MD match.
I have 5 Do invites So i took that advice. So to skip the match I'm guessing you ended up with about 10 acgme invites?

Good! 5 DO invites at this point is a good place to be. You'll be fine. Nope...less than 10 and I'll leave it at that. Just went with my gut come match time.

Good! 5 DO invites at this point is a good place to be. You'll be fine. Nope...less than 10 and I'll leave it at that. Just went with my gut come match time.
Cool thanks. Hope i won't Have to wait till Nov though. Don't think i can keep my cool till then

The silence is deafening today...

Total radio silence on my end. Sucks because I heard from at least one program each day last week. Was really hoping to keep up my streak..

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't even know this was a thing. I just thought automatic no invite=regret

I was under the impression programs at least have you a heads up that they will not be interviewing you? Anyone want to shed some light on this for us?

So I literally just joined sdn a few minutes back, but I figured it was time I post something after reading these forums for the past few years. Anyways, yeah I got a rejection notice from Carolinas on Sept 30. I am a DO student with a high USMLE and an overall decent app (I think at least) and have 1 of 2 SLOEs uploaded. I was a little peeved they didn't even wait until the MSPEs came out. Oh well, I do have 7 other ACGME interviews lined up so far.

I was under the impression programs at least have you a heads up that they will not be interviewing you? Anyone want to shed some light on this for us?

I got a bunch of regrets last year. All were pretty much in December and January once programs had already interviewed everyone they were going interview. At that point, I really didn't need a letter telling me I wasn't gonna be interviewed. I already knew...lol.

Total radio silence on my end. Sucks because I heard from at least one program each day last week. Was really hoping to keep up my streak..
You realize that there's people reading that haven't even received one invite yet, right? lol.

So I literally just joined sdn a few minutes back, but I figured it was time I post something after reading these forums for the past few years. Anyways, yeah I got a rejection notice from Carolinas on Sept 30. I am a DO student with a high USMLE and an overall decent app (I think at least) and have 1 of 2 SLOEs uploaded. I was a little peeved they didn't even wait until the MSPEs came out. Oh well, I do have 7 other ACGME interviews lined up so far.
7 already as a DO? To say you have a decent app is an understatement. I also got the Carolinas rejection on 9/30. No invites. mid 230's step 1, 2nd quartile, 3 SLOEs (1 3rd year HP, 2 4th year away Honors where I received great feedback), research, decent clinical grades. Hoping for some love in the next week or so :/ I need to get off SDN, it's a mind-f... :bored:

I randomly got 2 invites this afternoon after posting... I'm up to 5 total now which is better off than I was last week. Hopefully my second SLOE will come in tomorrow or Wednesday.

Is it ok to ask for an in the area interview invite? The interview invite thread says the program in question has given out interviews. I'd love to save some $$. How would I go about it?

Dear Program X,

I have made travel plans to City X next month and would love to interview at your program if I am extended an offer. Thank you for your consideration of my application.

Sincerely,
Me

Is it ok to ask for an in the area interview invite? The interview invite thread says the program in question has given out interviews. I'd love to save some $$. How would I go about it?

Dear Program X,

I have made travel plans to City X next month and would love to interview at your program if I am extended an offer. Thank you for your consideration of my application.

Sincerely,
Me

I've had a program director from a top place tell me that if you do send one of these, this is basically the way to word it. He also said that if worded like this, it likely could only help you.

Reactions: 1 users
Who do you address these to? PD? Program Coordinator?

At our place that'd be who you want to send it to.

N=1

So I'm new to SDN (just made account). I just got Step 2 score back (228) which is the exact same as my Step 1. I didn't know if I should hold off on sending this score to programs? The rest of my application is probably average to most, and I already have 3 SLOEs uploaded. Have received 2 interviews so far last week, none this week.

So I'm new to SDN (just made account). I just got Step 2 score back (228) which is the exact same as my Step 1. I didn't know if I should hold off on sending this score to programs? The rest of my application is probably average to most, and I already have 3 SLOEs uploaded. Have received 2 interviews so far last week, none this week.

I'm kinda in a similar boat, honestly I figure it's not going to help me so I'm not going to send it until given the opportunity to talk to them face to face.

Some places want to see that score before they offer an invite. I really don't think a 228 is going to hurt you too much either. It may not help you, but at least it won't hurt you. If I were you, I would consider sending it out now for the sake of completeness. If your application is not complete, you won't get interviews, and that would put you in a worse position than letting them see your lower than average score.

Bahh its early yet dudes, relax. It wasn't until after ACEP last year that the invites really started rolling in if I remember correctly. PDs are getting ready for the conference, which **** reminds me I have to buy a plane ticket.

For those concerned about their current number (or lack thereof) of interviews, I think the following from last year is very elucidating:
I'm at ACEP and talked to a number of PDs yesterday and several of them said that they have been working through the pile of apps slowly and have set aside some as late as Friday that they gave to the program coordinators before they left to contact so don't be too surprised if a few still trickle in. I also talked to a fair number of places that flat out said they don't send any out before ACEP. The big take home... there was a recent poll done by CORD that one PD showed me and the jist was "when do you fill all of your open interview slots?" and it was very scattered... a few percent in early Oct, a few late Oct, more in early Nov, about the same in later Nov, and so on. The take home was that if you aren't hearing much right now it's OK... like 90%+ of places have not filled. He said "now if you aren't starting to get close to where you want (in terms of interview numbers) by about mid to late Nov... that's time to start to worry". Overall, it's about 90% open now but by mid Nov it falls to 47% he said so the next 3-4 weeks should be pretty busy.... let me rephrase that... BETTER be pretty busy, or ELSE! :whoa:

For those concerned about their current number (or lack thereof) of interviews, I think the following from last year is very elucidating:

ACEP was also two weeks earlier last year I believe...so not sure if comparing to last year helps or not

It was on the 15th or so, however, which helps me breath a slight sigh of relief that I'm only at 3 currently.

surprised people dish out the cash to go to acep

Folks - Attending at UMD here. It is still early in the season. Yes, a lot of us are getting ready for ACEP. No, don't get freaked out.

When I applied, I had 3 or 4 rejections come in the space of a few days after submitting my ERAS. I thought the world was going to end. Despite that, I interviewed at a lot of great places and graduated from an excellent program. It does work out in the end.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions about UMD or the application process or our interviews. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
does anyone have the link for the data that show the number of interviews needed to achieve a certain percentage match rate

So I got an interview from a program after sending them an email to request it. Does this make my interview less legit lol ie I hope they are not just doing me a favor

You got the interview, that's all that matters at this point, and i doubt programs send out pity invites. Go, interview, crush it, repeat. You've got a stellar app, don't doubt yoself meow.

haha aww yeeah, gotta try and lighten the mood during these stressful times man.

So I got an interview from a program after sending them an email to request it. Does this make my interview less legit lol ie I hope they are not just doing me a favor
What was the gist of this e-mail? That's pretty impressive.

What was the gist of this e-mail? That's pretty impressive.
Its somewhere in this thread. That I'm really interested and that ill be in the area. It could be a coincidence. It was days later

Its somewhere in this thread. That I'm really interested and that ill be in the area. It could be a coincidence. It was days later

You know, I cant wrap my head around this logic. I mean, im assuming most programs have their interview days kind of on like a Fri/Sat schedule. So even if you WERE in the area, its not like you can attend 2 interviews simultaneously. Why would a program fall for this "ill be in the area" mumbo jumbo

You know, I cant wrap my head around this logic. I mean, im assuming most programs have their interview days kind of on like a Fri/Sat schedule. So even if you WERE in the area, its not like you can attend 2 interviews simultaneously. Why would a program fall for this "ill be in the area" mumbo jumbo
Lol Idk so Mayb they actually like me

Probably because that isn't true to begin with. If anything most places seem to be either Tues or Thurs (I think because that's when most programs have conferences and they like to group the two). Regardless there is enough variability that one of these emails could be believable.

Lol Idk so Mayb they actually like me

Surprising, huh? ;) jk

Probably because that isn't true to begin with. If anything most places seem to be either Tues or Thurs (I think because that's when most programs have conferences and they like to group the two). Regardless there is enough variability that one of these emails could be believable.

Well thats interesting to know. Ive only gotten 2 invites so far and both are on a Fri/Sat schedule. I guess if you did an interview on a Tues you could stay an extra couple days to do one on a Thurs, if so that would make sense

Well thats interesting to know. Ive only gotten 2 invites so far and both are on a Fri/Sat schedule. I guess if you did an interview on a Tues you could stay an extra couple days to do one on a Thurs, if so that would make sense
That's funny...most of my interviews so far are Mon/Wed/Fri. One Tuesday. I think basically every day but Sunday is an option somewhere...

Any IMG has interviews so far ? I didn't hear anything expect rejections and it is getting to my nerves