Emergency Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

relentless11

Going broke and loving it
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious about Emergency Medicine. How long is the residency, and what is involved? The only info i have gotten about it is from TV(Trauma Life in the ER). But its sorta confusing, so do they do surgery too? Or what?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

EM residencies are three to four years long, depending on the program (but most are three). I suppose that trauma surgery might be included as a "rotation" in EM, but EM doctors don't do surgery routinely.

To be in trauma surgery, I think you go through a few years of general surgery and then do a fellowship in trauma surgery. You wouldn't start out in EM.

EM is a great field. You don't have to worry with your own practice, the hospital generally covers your malpractice insurance, you have other great benefits, there's no call, hours are somewhat flexible, and you're well compensated.

However, many of the patients are drug-seekers, self destructive, etc. You see a lot of the same thing from day to day, I would expect. It's not nearly as fast-paced as "ER" or "Trauma: Life in the ER" portrays. I shadowed the other day in the ER and one of the med students said that she had been there for two or three weeks on her rotation and she had only seen two major resucitations (sp?) the entire time.

But I would say that would be different in a residency. Most residency programs I would assume would be in large trauma centers (as opposed to the semi-rural ER I shadowed in) and therefore would have a larger patient load and more acute cases. For example, I was looking at UofL's EM residency and their website's movie said they had one major resucitation every day.

Hope this helps...

Members don't see this ad :)
The ER can be slow but, a downtown Detroit hospital is not boring for long. I've been a research assistant in the ER for about 3 1/2yrs and I've seen a lot. Yes it gets busy and ugly and yes it gets slow and boring also.

I really enjoy the ER and the fast pace of a lot of it. Remember, though, that the whole ER is not teeming with critical trauma. Many people come there for primary care of subacute illnesses. These people, at least in a large urban setting, come her b/c they have no insurance and/or no money. Some can pay but have no primary care physician or basic medical support. Small or midsize problems get worse with time and need to be treated here. We have Category one for most severe cases. It's like a mini ICU. Cat 2 and Cat 3 are for less severe. We also have a GYN area and a Peds Category. Lots to do, lots of people to see, not all life or death.

As for residency, it's 3 yrs here but you can do a combined EM/IM in 5 yrs.

Interesting. Is there actually an ER doc who deals with specifically Pediatrics? I'm doing an internship at UC Davis Med Ctr Peds ER this summer. I'm very excited since its the only level 1 trauma center north of San Francisco.

Lastly, i'm just wondering about the lifestyle for emergency medicine. I've met one of the professors of vascular surgery here at UCDMC, he pretty much goes from 6am-6pm on average. So i'm wondering like if i have to rotate through night shifts..etc.

How competitive is it to get into a EM residency? Is UofL's competitive or cook county's in chicago?

Q, I was wondering the same thing....and being brought up by different people, too. Odd....