Emergent Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matthew87922

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I scored 500 on MCAT last year and applied med schools but didn't get in anywhere. I scheduled my test on July 9th this summer and submitted my AMCAS application in middle of June (I indicated I will retake the test). I did AAMC practice test and score 506 yesterday. Should I reschedule my test day to July 22 (I know I can improve a little bit more)? Will this date be considered as "late"?? Anyone, please give me some advices.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd try and take it on the 9th, but if you really think waiting an extra week is gonna help that much then do it. July 22 isn't that late, as long as you do well. The schools will know to be expecting a new MCAT. Doing well is more important than when you submit

I'd try and take it on the 9th, but if you really think waiting an extra week is gonna help that much then do it. July 22 isn't that late, as long as you do well. The schools will know to be expecting a new MCAT. Doing well is more important than when you submit

Thank you. I heard schools will accept most of the students who submitted their application on time and left few spots for future applicants, is it true?

Thank you. I heard schools will accept most of the students who submitted their application on time and left few spots for future applicants, is it true?

It depends on if the school is on rolling admission or not. It's always better to apply early, but there are still spots available wherever you go. However, as spots fill up, schools can become more selective of who they choose for their last few spots

I agree that there is probably very little difference that waiting two weeks will make. A 506 on the practice AAMC probably translates to about a 509 on the actual MCAT, which is comparable to a 30 (a pretty good score).
The important thing is that you submit your application just so it can go through the verification process. The longer you wait, the longer you'll be on the queue to get verified. I don't think that 7/22 us terribly late. There are lots of people who have to get committee letters, and this doesn't happen till as late as September for some people. Since your app isn't complete until all things are submitted, I think your timing is still ok. Schools will know that you have a pending exam/score, so they will just put your app on hold until everything comes in.