Emory 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:( nothing new has showed up in my to do list.

and al sharpton was supposed to be there last week. haha

Paul Farmer is coming for graduation :D

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, they were handing out free copies of Mountains Beyond Mountains.
Sweet. :D
I'm still upset about financial aid though. :mad:

Yeah, they were handing out free copies of Mountains Beyond Mountains.
Sweet. :D
I'm still upset about financial aid though. :mad:

Hi Fuji,
Are you coming to 2nd look this week? If you are, maybe you could talk to the deans/ financial aid people. I know the deans office has some need based scholarship aside from regular financial aid..

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Fuji,
Are you coming to 2nd look this week? If you are, maybe you could talk to the deans/ financial aid people. I know the deans office has some need based scholarship aside from regular financial aid..

Yeah, I'll see you there. It's worth a shot, I suppose.

I guess that's the end of my anonymity on this forum. :laugh:

now im scared. how is it that the avg debt is only like 110 grand? which means a lot of people are below that number.

also, what with all this if you do not submit your forms before april 1 you may not be eligible for need based grants and all that jazz, what about people on the WL. what about people who get accepted in JUNE. i assume they have no chance at all for any need based aid? that cant be...or i guess maybe it can.

now im scared. how is it that the avg debt is only like 110 grand? which means a lot of people are below that number.

also, what with all this if you do not submit your forms before april 1 you may not be eligible for need based grants and all that jazz, what about people on the WL. what about people who get accepted in JUNE. i assume they have no chance at all for any need based aid? that cant be...or i guess maybe it can.

yep you are correct! the waitlist people dont' get anything aside from the staffords...

yep you are correct! the waitlist people dont' get anything aside from the staffords...

hey ahhh123, have you thought about where you want to live?

ya, mine still hasn't been posted either. is your aid appearing under view/accept my financial aid?

The one thing i've been noticing from fin. aid packages at different schools is that there is VERY little need based aid to go around, and very few even qualify.

The reason for the avg debt figure. I think that has to do with people who have parents paying for everything, or do get full scholarships. The others have around 200-250K. So, whereas the mean is around 100K, I'd bet it has a bimodal distribution.

The one thing i've been noticing from fin. aid packages at different schools is that there is VERY little need based aid to go around, and very few even qualify.

The reason for the avg debt figure. I think that has to do with people who have parents paying for everything, or do get full scholarships. The others have around 200-250K. So, whereas the mean is around 100K, I'd bet it has a bimodal distribution.

in the fin aid book debt distribution list it doesn't look so bimodal. there was only one person with 240,000-250,000. and it really did seem to stretch sort of evenly from 0-200,000, with that one person up at 250,000. hmmmm.

in the fin aid book debt distribution list it doesn't look so bimodal. there was only one person with 240,000-250,000. and it really did seem to stretch sort of evenly from 0-200,000, with that one person up at 250,000. hmmmm.

I guess I'm that one person. :laugh:

hi desidr... i haven't decided where to live yet since i'm still deciding between emory and another school. If i do end up living at emory, i probably won't live in the apt complexes immediately surrounding emory since it's more expensive. I'm thinking about living 10-15 minutes away from campus.

are you from the emory area? have u checked out housing yet?

Members don't see this ad :)

If I were to go, I'd love to live in downtown Decatur area. Right next to the marta train, great restaurants and cafes like brick store and Java Monkey, a 10 minute bike ride from campus (less than 2 miles- I don't own a car so I don't know how long a drive this is.)

Candler park is another great, hip area, right next to a nice park, and near a marta station. A 10 or 15 minute bike ride from campus.

If I were to go, I'd love to live in downtown Decatur area. Right next to the marta train, great restaurants and cafes like brick store and Java Monkey, a 10 minute bike ride from campus (less than 2 miles- I don't own a car so I don't know how long a drive this is.)

Candler park is another great, hip area, right next to a nice park, and near a marta station. A 10 or 15 minute bike ride from campus.

Yeh i love decatur! it's one of the few places that you actually don't need car to get around.

fuji, are you still considering emory?

Yeh i love decatur! it's one of the few places that you actually don't need car to get around.

fuji, are you still considering emory?

Yes, but as the reality of debt sinks in, I'm more seriously considering other schools... :(

i am one of the people on the wailist and actively trying to get off. this news of no need based financial aid for wiatlisters is quite disheartening tho :( i thot that the waitlisters might get the aide that the people who declined would get? i loved emory sooo much, but if they dont give me any money and if they accept me id have to turn them down :(

sorry i know this is the thread for the people who have already gotten in but i felt the need to express my emotions and i guess, wishfull thinking? :oops:

fuji, I wouldn't blame your parents at all... I guess it's worth talking to admissions, but my package is the same as all of yours and I got mine in before the deadline. I have also received similar packages from other schools... it seems crazy that they expect us to do this but I guess it is just how it goes for medical school. I'm going to have to suck it up either way (my state school's not that good of a deal and I dont plan on going there), so I'm trying to rationalize!!!

Wow, so nobody has gotten any loans or grants at all yet? Looking at their distribution of debt at graduation, this doesn't make sense at all. I'm confused... where are all the people that graduate with 100K to 150K debt? All the people who have posted on this thread about their packages are set up for at least 240K of debt at graduation. hmm..

For those of you coming tonight, I'll see you there. I'll probably be the one at the shuffleboard. ;) :laugh:

Wow, so nobody has gotten any loans or grants at all yet? Looking at their distribution of debt at graduation, this doesn't make sense at all. I'm confused... where are all the people that graduate with 100K to 150K debt? All the people who have posted on this thread about their packages are set up for at least 240K of debt at graduation. hmm..

For those of you coming tonight, I'll see you there. I'll probably be the one at the shuffleboard. ;) :laugh:

so the reception tonight is informal right? t-shirt and jeans?

Just got my financial aid... $5000 grant/scholarship! I assume it's per year, but it doesn't say, so who knows? Hope you guys have fun at second look!

5,000 in scholarships, 38,500 in stafford loans, and 25,000 up to me, good bye Emory....

Yeah, what is up with the cost of attendance? :(

I think that the average debt rate that we reference is a mean, rather than a modal average. Meaning, I bet that the distribution is heavily bimodal with a number of students with 0 debt from a Woodruff or mum and dad, or else 200K+ in debt, which averages out to 100K

I think that the average debt rate that we reference is a mean, rather than a modal average. Meaning, I bet that the distribution is heavily bimodal with a number of students with 0 debt from a Woodruff or mum and dad, or else 200K+ in debt, which averages out to 100K
Not really according to the financial aid site, but the data is 2 years old. Plus those students started in 2001, and tuition has gone up a lot, giving a false impression of what total debt would be for us.

The larger point I was trying to make is that I'd bet that there is almost no one with the 100-120K debt figure. Rather, I'd bet people either have none, or almost the full cost of attendance.

Who knows how the numbers really work out. It is rather upsetting that if it were in fact bimodal, that they do not disclose that. Also with 60 million invested into a new science complex, and an Emory's aggressive push to "move up the rankings", I would think that they would rather bring people to the school with incentives, rather than push them away. This is even more important when you are talking a near 70k a year COA.

k i know the chart isn't really easy to read now, i'll fix it later. as for my fin aid: 10,000 sch and 5,000 of some other grant. that's roughly 1/3 tuition aid for the first year. and yeah, what is the deal? do we get it for the four years or could it change? and i agree, the coa for the first year is through the roof! maybe the later years are cheaper?

debt distribution for 2005 Emor Graduates is as follows:

Number of students--------------debt distribution
3------------------------1-19,999
4 -----------------------20,000-29,999
4 30,000-39,999
2 40,000-49,999
3 50,000-59,999
3 60,000-69,999
6 70,000-79,999
4 80,000-89,999
1 90,000-99,999
2 100,000-109,999
10 110,000-119,999
3 120,000-129,999
7 130,000-139,999
3 140,000-149,999
11 150,000-159,999
4 160,000-169,999
2 170,000-179,999
4 180,000-189,999
7 190,000-199,999
0 200,000-209,999
0 210,000-219,999
0 220,000-229,999
0 230,000-239,999
1 240,000-249,999

Hey all,

I wish I could have attended. How was the event? Are you all excited about attending Emory? Did you learn anything new that will help you make your decision? Did they further explain the curriculum? Are they sticking with letter grades? I hope you all had fun.

k i know the chart isn't really easy to read now, i'll fix it later. as for my fin aid: 10,000 sch and 5,000 of some other grant. that's roughly 1/3 tuition aid for the first year. and yeah, what is the deal? do we get it for the four years or could it change? and i agree, the coa for the first year is through the roof! maybe the later years are cheaper?

debt distribution for 2005 Emor Graduates is as follows:

Number of students--------------debt distribution
3------------------------1-19,999
4 -----------------------20,000-29,999
4 30,000-39,999
2 40,000-49,999
3 50,000-59,999
3 60,000-69,999
6 70,000-79,999
4 80,000-89,999
1 90,000-99,999
2 100,000-109,999
10 110,000-119,999
3 120,000-129,999
7 130,000-139,999
3 140,000-149,999
11 150,000-159,999
4 160,000-169,999
2 170,000-179,999
4 180,000-189,999
7 190,000-199,999
0 200,000-209,999
0 210,000-219,999
0 220,000-229,999
0 230,000-239,999
1 240,000-249,999
I think the problem with this may be that it's just debt, not scholarship/grants awarded. People may be in less debt because they had savings, their parents helped them out, etc. I think what would be more useful would be an "aid awarded" chart of some type, so that we could see just how much free money is given to students and how much people are getting on average. I don't think such a thing exists though.

Hey guys, congrats on getting into Emory. It's an AMAZING school (I don't attend the med school though). A group here is starting a 501(3)c non-profit organization to lower the barriers of access to adequate health care by building free health care clinics in rural GA. There are spots on the steering committee available for upcoming M1s so if you are interested in helping out and would like more details please PM me. Thanks!

I think the problem with this may be that it's just debt, not scholarship/grants awarded. People may be in less debt because they had savings, their parents helped them out, etc. I think what would be more useful would be an "aid awarded" chart of some type, so that we could see just how much free money is given to students and how much people are getting on average. I don't think such a thing exists though.

true. that's what i'd be more interested in knowing right at this moment.

I also got a really crappy "financial aid package," if you can even call it that, uggh. 3rd one of the day too full of federal loans.

Emory
8500 Sub Stafford
30000 Unsub stafford

UMDNJ - NJMS and RWJ
8500 Sub Stafford
21500 Unsub stafford

Where are the grants? scholarships? love of any kind!??!

:(

holy cow, it's like you're reliving my life last year.

FWIW, i bit the bullet and came down here from jersey :)

holy cow, it's like you're reliving my life last year.

FWIW, i bit the bullet and came down here from jersey :)

jersey pride! i received a much better offer from UVA (weird that another state school would give me a scholarship when my own wouldn't :rolleyes: ), so I think Emory is out of the running. To everyone going there next year, enjoy the brand new building, it looks awesome!

it was great! i had alot of fun at second look.... the new building is gonna be awesome
Did they give any more details about the curriculum?

yep we spent an hour talking about the new curriculum.... what specifically do you want to know?
Well a detailed summary of what they said would be nice. I interviewed really early and they didn't know a lot of the details. All I know is 18 months of basic sciences and a 6 month "discovery phase" later in med school.

I don't suppose they've changed to pass/fail have they?

If you check your learnlink thing--Erica has posted a very detailed outline of the curriculum and a sample 1st year schedule. She also posted some pictures of the new building and it looks great.

If you check your learnlink thing--Erica has posted a very detailed outline of the curriculum and a sample 1st year schedule. She also posted some pictures of the new building and it looks great.

yeh we talked about everything on the packet. If you read that you should get a pretty good idea of the new curriculum.

Dr. Eley mentioned the possiblity of the first five month being pass/ fail. I believe the committee is having a meeting on that soon. Also, it's five rather than six month of discovery time.

Hey everyone...I have no idea which poster is who, but I met a lot of you at second look and really enjoyed myself...it seems like the c/o 2011 will be a pretty fun group.

I've got a question I'd like some opinions on, especially if anyone is in the same position. Here goes:
I'm trying to decide between Emory and my state school, which is not quite as good but is respectable. I love the opportunities at Emory, but if I go to my state school I'd be able to participate in a scholarship program this summer that would send me to Russia for free for a couple months. Long term, I want to work in some sort of international medicine in the Eastern Block. So, do I stay at my state school and increase my language skills this summer, or do I go to the school (Emory) with a bunch of international opportunities (and spend a bit more)?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Hey everyone...I have no idea which poster is who, but I met a lot of you at second look and really enjoyed myself...it seems like the c/o 2011 will be a pretty fun group.

I've got a question I'd like some opinions on, especially if anyone is in the same position. Here goes:
I'm trying to decide between Emory and my state school, which is not quite as good but is respectable. I love the opportunities at Emory, but if I go to my state school I'd be able to participate in a scholarship program this summer that would send me to Russia for free for a couple months. Long term, I want to work in some sort of international medicine in the Eastern Block. So, do I stay at my state school and increase my language skills this summer, or do I go to the school (Emory) with a bunch of international opportunities (and spend a bit more)?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Well, here's my attempt at answering this question. Both schools seem to offer great opportunities for international medicine. If you liked one school a lot more (I'm talking about intangibles -- how you got on with the students, which school seems to better fit your own philosophies, location, gut feelings etc.) then go to that one. IF you feel the same about both schools, then go to the cheaper one.

Hey guys,

Mike Behler from the med school financial aid department told me that the purely merit based scholarships should go out today. Anybody hear anything?

Hey guys,

Mike Behler from the med school financial aid department told me that the purely merit based scholarships should go out today. Anybody hear anything?

i was wondering when those would go out. nope, haven't heard anything. :(