Emory (full tuition scholarship) vs. Baylor (half-tuition scholarship)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Thowwwawayyy

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Throwaway account because of reasons. So I’m very fortunate to be in this predicament right now. I was offered merit scholarships at both and I feel like both are very similar yet very different.



Emory:
Pros
  • Full tuition Scholarship for 4 years (!!!!!!!!!!!)
  • Closer to family and support network
  • Great hospital network which includes Grady (the safety net hospital of Atlanta), a VA, Midtown, University hospital, Children’s Hospital of Atlanta etc.
  • Emory has Rollins School of Public Health, Winship Cancer Institute, the CDC is super super close
  • 1.5 preclinicals
  • 5 month dedicated research time
  • Very good vibe, loved my time there
  • beautiful campus and great facilities
  • Everyone I met was extremely nice and seemed happy at Emory (might be a biased group from interview who knows)
  • Rank lists are SOLID and a lot of students match back at Emory (I don’t know if this is considered a good thing??)
  • Lower cost of living in Atlanta
Cons
  • no video recordings 🙁 ... but audio is recorded everyday and made available (class is not mandatory)
  • the average Step score not as high as Baylor
  • Step is taken after pre clinicals (not sure if a con)
  • Lower ranking than Baylor
  • The preclinical curriculum is divided into “healthy human” and “disease” have heard some people don’t really like how it’s arranged
  • seems like students were much more hands on at Grady than the other hospitals, might change the rotation experience if one doesn’t get the desired location

Baylor
Pros
  • Half tuition Scholarship for the first year, brings tuition down to the in-state level. (~$8,000 a year in tuition and fees for 4 years if I get residency)
  • STEP scores are always amongst the highest in the country
  • Have been doing the 1.5 year pre clinical curriculum for years, and it seemed they have it perfected to a T
  • Texas Medical Center is phenomenal, Ben Taub is also a great safety net hospital, other affiliated hospitals are great as well
  • Research opportunities are solid, MD Anderson is very close by
  • Pre-clinical students seemed pretty relaxed for the most part, they were happy with how their curriculum was set up. Got to attend a class on interview day and really enjoyed how it was conducted.
  • M3s were very busy but every one of them had great anecdotes and it seemed that the physicians at Baylor trusted the students and let them be very hands on.
  • Class is video recorded everyday and posted right after, not mandatory class
  • Step is taken after clinicals (not sure if a pro)
  • Rank List is amazingg!!
  • “true” top 20

Cons-
  • Farther away from family and support network
  • The process to move there will be more expensive, and overall will need to take more loans than at Emory
  • Cost of living in Houston is slighty higher than Atlanta
  • Not as familiar with Houston
  • I don’t know if I would like to stay in Texas after med school although Baylor students seemingly have no problem matching out of state
  • Some say Baylor has a cutthroat environment


Both are true P/F for pre clinicals, both are 1.5 years pre clinicals, I will need a car for both, both have expensive parking, both have amazing safety net hospitals and affiliated hospitals, both have great research opportunities.

Atlanta and Houston have a similar vibe-ish (to me) as cities although Houston is slightly more expensive. I think they are very similar and I think their ranking difference is negligible.

Baylor would be more expensive than Emory.


What would you do??? Any insight of anyone that had to make a similar decision in the past is appreciated! Thanks for the help!
 
Emory. They are essentially the same tier - many may even say Emory may be more prestigious. Step score has more to do with the students and less with the school. I would go with the better scholarship and location.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Throwaway account because of reasons. So I’m very fortunate to be in this predicament right now. I was offered merit scholarships at both and I feel like both are very similar yet very different.



Emory:
Pros
  • Full tuition Scholarship for 4 years (!!!!!!!!!!!)
  • Closer to family and support network
  • Great hospital network which includes Grady (the safety net hospital of Atlanta), a VA, Midtown, University hospital, Children’s Hospital of Atlanta etc.
  • Emory has Rollins School of Public Health, Winship Cancer Institute, the CDC is super super close
  • 1.5 preclinicals
  • 5 month dedicated research time
  • Very good vibe, loved my time there
  • beautiful campus and great facilities
  • Everyone I met was extremely nice and seemed happy at Emory (might be a biased group from interview who knows)
  • Rank lists are SOLID and a lot of students match back at Emory (I don’t know if this is considered a good thing??)
  • Lower cost of living in Atlanta
Cons
  • no video recordings 🙁 ... but audio is recorded everyday and made available (class is not mandatory)
  • the average Step score not as high as Baylor
  • Step is taken after pre clinicals (not sure if a con)
  • Lower ranking than Baylor
  • The preclinical curriculum is divided into “healthy human” and “disease” have heard some people don’t really like how it’s arranged
  • seems like students were much more hands on at Grady than the other hospitals, might change the rotation experience if one doesn’t get the desired location

Baylor
Pros
  • Half tuition Scholarship for the first year, brings tuition down to the in-state level. (~$8,000 a year in tuition and fees for 4 years if I get residency)
  • STEP scores are always amongst the highest in the country
  • Have been doing the 1.5 year pre clinical curriculum for years, and it seemed they have it perfected to a T
  • Texas Medical Center is phenomenal, Ben Taub is also a great safety net hospital, other affiliated hospitals are great as well
  • Research opportunities are solid, MD Anderson is very close by
  • Pre-clinical students seemed pretty relaxed for the most part, they were happy with how their curriculum was set up. Got to attend a class on interview day and really enjoyed how it was conducted.
  • M3s were very busy but every one of them had great anecdotes and it seemed that the physicians at Baylor trusted the students and let them be very hands on.
  • Class is video recorded everyday and posted right after, not mandatory class
  • Step is taken after clinicals (not sure if a pro)
  • Rank List is amazingg!!
  • “true” top 20
Cons-
  • Farther away from family and support network
  • The process to move there will be more expensive, and overall will need to take more loans than at Emory
  • Cost of living in Houston is slighty higher than Atlanta
  • Not as familiar with Houston
  • I don’t know if I would like to stay in Texas after med school although Baylor students seemingly have no problem matching out of state
  • Some say Baylor has a cutthroat environment


Both are true P/F for pre clinicals, both are 1.5 years pre clinicals, I will need a car for both, both have expensive parking, both have amazing safety net hospitals and affiliated hospitals, both have great research opportunities.

Atlanta and Houston have a similar vibe-ish (to me) as cities although Houston is slightly more expensive. I think they are very similar and I think their ranking difference is negligible.

Baylor would be more expensive than Emory.


What would you do??? Any insight of anyone that had to make a similar decision in the past is appreciated! Thanks for the help!