Emory (full tuition scholarship) vs. Baylor (half-tuition scholarship)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thowwwawayyy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Throwaway account because of reasons. So I’m very fortunate to be in this predicament right now. I was offered merit scholarships at both and I feel like both are very similar yet very different.

Emory:
Pros
  • Full tuition Scholarship for 4 years (!!!!!!!!!!!)
  • Closer to family and support network
  • Great hospital network which includes Grady (the safety net hospital of Atlanta), a VA, Midtown, University hospital, Children’s Hospital of Atlanta etc.
  • Emory has Rollins School of Public Health, Winship Cancer Institute, the CDC is super super close
  • 1.5 preclinicals
  • 5 month dedicated research time
  • Very good vibe, loved my time there
  • beautiful campus and great facilities
  • Everyone I met was extremely nice and seemed happy at Emory (might be a biased group from interview who knows)
  • Rank lists are SOLID and a lot of students match back at Emory (I don’t know if this is considered a good thing??)
  • Lower cost of living in Atlanta
Cons
  • no video recordings :( ... but audio is recorded everyday and made available (class is not mandatory)
  • the average Step score not as high as Baylor
  • Step is taken after pre clinicals (not sure if a con)
  • Lower ranking than Baylor
  • The preclinical curriculum is divided into “healthy human” and “disease” have heard some people don’t really like how it’s arranged
  • seems like students were much more hands on at Grady than the other hospitals, might change the rotation experience if one doesn’t get the desired location

Baylor
Pros
  • Half tuition Scholarship for the first year, brings tuition down to the in-state level. (~$8,000 a year in tuition and fees for 4 years if I get residency)
  • STEP scores are always amongst the highest in the country
  • Have been doing the 1.5 year pre clinical curriculum for years, and it seemed they have it perfected to a T
  • Texas Medical Center is phenomenal, Ben Taub is also a great safety net hospital, other affiliated hospitals are great as well
  • Research opportunities are solid, MD Anderson is very close by
  • Pre-clinical students seemed pretty relaxed for the most part, they were happy with how their curriculum was set up. Got to attend a class on interview day and really enjoyed how it was conducted.
  • M3s were very busy but every one of them had great anecdotes and it seemed that the physicians at Baylor trusted the students and let them be very hands on.
  • Class is video recorded everyday and posted right after, not mandatory class
  • Step is taken after clinicals (not sure if a pro)
  • Rank List is amazingg!!
  • “true” top 20

Cons-
  • Farther away from family and support network
  • The process to move there will be more expensive, and overall will need to take more loans than at Emory
  • Cost of living in Houston is slighty higher than Atlanta
  • Not as familiar with Houston
  • I don’t know if I would like to stay in Texas after med school although Baylor students seemingly have no problem matching out of state
  • Some say Baylor has a cutthroat environment

Both are true P/F for pre clinicals, both are 1.5 years pre clinicals, I will need a car for both, both have expensive parking, both have amazing safety net hospitals and affiliated hospitals, both have great research opportunities.

Atlanta and Houston have a similar vibe-ish (to me) as cities although Houston is slightly more expensive. I think they are very similar and I think their ranking difference is negligible.

Baylor would be more expensive than Emory.

What would you do??? Any insight of anyone that had to make a similar decision in the past is appreciated! Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Emory. They are essentially the same tier - many may even say Emory may be more prestigious. Step score has more to do with the students and less with the school. I would go with the better scholarship and location.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
WOW!! Congrats! That’s truly impressive.

I’d personally go with Emory. You can’t beat a full-tuition scholarship!

Members don't see this ad :)
Throwaway account because of reasons. So I’m very fortunate to be in this predicament right now. I was offered merit scholarships at both and I feel like both are very similar yet very different.

Emory:
Pros
  • Full tuition Scholarship for 4 years (!!!!!!!!!!!)
  • Closer to family and support network
  • Great hospital network which includes Grady (the safety net hospital of Atlanta), a VA, Midtown, University hospital, Children’s Hospital of Atlanta etc.
  • Emory has Rollins School of Public Health, Winship Cancer Institute, the CDC is super super close
  • 1.5 preclinicals
  • 5 month dedicated research time
  • Very good vibe, loved my time there
  • beautiful campus and great facilities
  • Everyone I met was extremely nice and seemed happy at Emory (might be a biased group from interview who knows)
  • Rank lists are SOLID and a lot of students match back at Emory (I don’t know if this is considered a good thing??)
  • Lower cost of living in Atlanta
Cons
  • no video recordings :( ... but audio is recorded everyday and made available (class is not mandatory)
  • the average Step score not as high as Baylor
  • Step is taken after pre clinicals (not sure if a con)
  • Lower ranking than Baylor
  • The preclinical curriculum is divided into “healthy human” and “disease” have heard some people don’t really like how it’s arranged
  • seems like students were much more hands on at Grady than the other hospitals, might change the rotation experience if one doesn’t get the desired location

Baylor
Pros
  • Half tuition Scholarship for the first year, brings tuition down to the in-state level. (~$8,000 a year in tuition and fees for 4 years if I get residency)
  • STEP scores are always amongst the highest in the country
  • Have been doing the 1.5 year pre clinical curriculum for years, and it seemed they have it perfected to a T
  • Texas Medical Center is phenomenal, Ben Taub is also a great safety net hospital, other affiliated hospitals are great as well
  • Research opportunities are solid, MD Anderson is very close by
  • Pre-clinical students seemed pretty relaxed for the most part, they were happy with how their curriculum was set up. Got to attend a class on interview day and really enjoyed how it was conducted.
  • M3s were very busy but every one of them had great anecdotes and it seemed that the physicians at Baylor trusted the students and let them be very hands on.
  • Class is video recorded everyday and posted right after, not mandatory class
  • Step is taken after clinicals (not sure if a pro)
  • Rank List is amazingg!!
  • “true” top 20
Cons-
  • Farther away from family and support network
  • The process to move there will be more expensive, and overall will need to take more loans than at Emory
  • Cost of living in Houston is slighty higher than Atlanta
  • Not as familiar with Houston
  • I don’t know if I would like to stay in Texas after med school although Baylor students seemingly have no problem matching out of state
  • Some say Baylor has a cutthroat environment

Both are true P/F for pre clinicals, both are 1.5 years pre clinicals, I will need a car for both, both have expensive parking, both have amazing safety net hospitals and affiliated hospitals, both have great research opportunities.

Atlanta and Houston have a similar vibe-ish (to me) as cities although Houston is slightly more expensive. I think they are very similar and I think their ranking difference is negligible.

Baylor would be more expensive than Emory.

What would you do??? Any insight of anyone that had to make a similar decision in the past is appreciated! Thanks for the help!