Penn vs. Emory vs. UTSW (full tuition)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcr88

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I feel very fortunate to have some great options, and I've narrowed my choices down to three (not including waitlists), but I'm struggling to decide between them. Any insight would be appreciated!

Penn (cost TBD)
Pros
  • Location - I'm from the DMV and would love to go back east/stay on the east coast for residency, close to support system (family mostly in DC/NYC)
  • Associated vet school would be a good resource for my interests (One Health/emerging infections)
  • Research and clinical powerhouse
  • Prestige
  • Absolutely mind boggling match list
  • Second look hasn't happened yet, but I felt like I vibed with my interviewers/current students the most here
  • 1.5 year preclinical
Cons
  • Grading - slightly concerned about honors/HP/P/F grading
  • Has a reputation for potentially being gunnery/intense?
  • If no scholarship, will be expensive
  • Imposter syndrome?
Emory (cost TBD)
Pros
  • True P/F preclinical and clinical
  • Literally across the street from CDC - great networking opportunities in emerging infectious diseases at CDC (and also at Emory itself)
  • Rollins School of Public Health
  • Warm weather
  • Clinical training at Grady seems great, and I think training at a public, safety-net hospital would be invaluable
  • 1.5 year preclinical
Cons
  • Location - have never been to Atlanta (and virtual second look boo) so it's hard to judge but I am slightly wary of the deep south, also farther from home
  • If no scholarship, will be expensive
  • Less prestigious than Penn (don't know how much this should matter to me?)
UTSW (OOS, full tuition)
Pros
  • Free - would allow me to graduate debt free
  • Really loved their second look! Current students/other M0s had a good balance of being smart and also personable/friendly, admin did a really good job of making me feel welcomed and valued
  • Similarly to Emory, clinical training at Parkland seems great, and I vibe with public safety-net hospital
  • Warm weather
  • 1.5 year preclinical
Cons
  • Also not entirely P/F grading
  • Possibly the worst fit of my options for my interests, school of public health is new this year
  • Dallas drivers
  • Seems like many of their students end up staying in Texas for residency, which I already know I don't want
  • Relatively large class (>200); would prefer a slightly smaller class
  • Like Penn, has a reputation for being intense/gunnery
  • Less prestigious than Penn (again, how much should this matter?)

Any insight and perspective you all can provide would be super helpful, especially if anyone has more information about the atmosphere (i.e., is it cutthroat?) at each school. I think Emory is arguably the best fit for my interests, but I know people change their minds in med school, and I also am uncertain as to how to weigh prestige (Penn) or money (UTSW) in this decision. Thank you all in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I’d say UTSW over Emory for sure. They’re the same tier. I would wait for the money at Penn and see how that plays out but UTSW full tuition is nothing to sneeze at which is why I’m having difficulty with my own similar decision

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed with comment above...and would also add that if you get good aid at Emory, I'd lean towards Emory given it's proximity and connections to the CDC.

If Penn gives good aid, I'd say it over Emory given your pros/cons. Penn also has a bit of a prestige advantage which is nice, but I don't think it'll make a difference for your interests.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd eliminate Emory unless they post full tuition.

I'd eliminate UPenn unless they give you some aid. Their tuition is 69K/yr (source). UTSW is competitive enough to keep ALL specialties open, albeit less likely to end up at Mass Gen compared to UPenn. But 270K debt is not worth that slight prestige bump. To me, Penn would have to post half-tuition scholarship or better, at which point I'd choose them.

TLDR; Emory = no unless full tuition. Penn = no unless half tuition.
270k debt + high COL compared to Dallas - likely around 350-400k debt at the end of the day

It is hard to pass up full-tuition. I would take UTSW unless Emory came back with a full tuition. Anything less than that and it would be UTSW. The other benefits won't outweigh those financials.