Emory Rollins MPH Department Transfer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SimpleScience

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The question is for any current Emory students who happen to read this or other MPH applicants who've encountered my problem. I was accepted to Emory MPH for my 2nd choice program, and still prefer Rollins to the other schools I'm considering. I did read on the Emory website that you can submit a 'change of department' form, that must be approved by the chair of your current program, as well as the one you're intending to transfer into. I am wondering what the chances are of being accepted into another department if I do well in the core curriculum and apply after my first semester?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
When I went to the admitted students day, the ADAP told me it was pretty easy to switch as long as you do it early. Each department has a cap, so if you wait too long it might be filled. I would contact your ADAP now and see if you can switch to make your transition easier.

The question is for any current Emory students who happen to read this or other MPH applicants who've encountered my problem. I was accepted to Emory MPH for my 2nd choice program, and still prefer Rollins to the other schools I'm considering. I did read on the Emory website that you can submit a 'change of department' form, that must be approved by the chair of your current program, as well as the one you're intending to transfer into. I am wondering what the chances are of being accepted into another department if I do well in the core curriculum and apply after my first semester?

I'm a current Emory student who switched departments in my first year!

I was accepted to my first choice (GH), but determined that GLEPI was a better fit for me later. Like the other poster said, departments have a cap on numbers, so more popular/smaller departments (like GLEPI) are more difficult to switch into than others and may involve more work/time.

What happens with a departmental switch (or at least what I was told) is that a committee from that department will review your file to determine if you are a good fit for a transfer and then make the recommendation to the chair. Objectively, you will need something to make your file more attractive to them this go-round. I agree that you should start soon, however, since you weren't accepted into the department it's unlikely that they would approve the transfer before school starts in the fall (unless you've done something since you applied that would beef up your attractiveness to that department, if so, then go for it now!). I think your plan of excelling in the classes related to your intended department is smart and will be your best bet.

Even though my circumstances were different, GLEPI is a really small program and there was a lot of interest in switching into it, so I think my route may be applicable to your pursuit:

1) Let the ADAP of the department you want to switch into know about your interest (I would always remain positive about your current department, but let them know the reasons why the new department would be a better fit). For me, the department was full at the time, but when they decided to open some spots the ADAP contacted me because I had kept in touch with her. I would suggest letting the ADAP know and also following up periodically throughout the semester.

2) Make sure to take the section of courses intended for people in that department - It would help to know what department you are interested in switching into, but, for example, there are two sections of the general EPI 530 that almost everyone takes in the fall, one section is for Epi/Glepi people (generally taught by Goodman) and the other is for other departments...Goodman's section was very different from the other section, if you were trying to switch to Epi it would work in your favor to take the section intended for those people (just an example, but the same would go for other departments if they have a similar course). Sometimes this isn't obvious (I wouldn't have known if I hadn't talked with a now-2nd-year GLEPI student before making my schedule) so ask a current student (you may have done this already, but just in case :) ).

3) If that department has a required course for fall that other-department students can't sign up for, email the ADAP and get on the wait list ASAP. Again, if it's Epi then all those people take EPI 533 which has a wait-list for non-epi people, I barely got off the list and I requested a spot early in the summer. Regardless of the department, check the website to see what's required for fall and make sure to be in all those courses if you can!

4) I would also suggest going to office hours and talking to the professor in the courses you take related to the department you want to be in. I did this and had a professor offer to speak on my behalf when my file came up for the transfer. They ended up only allowing 2 people to make the switch and I think this is what made the difference for me.

If you happen to want to switch into Epi/Glepi feel free to PM me since that's what I'm familiar with. Otherwise good luck, you seem dedicated and I think you have a great chance of making the switch work! Hope to see you at Rollins in the fall!

Last edited: