Emory vs Georgetown vs UMDNJ-RWJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John B

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would definitely appreciate any input on this one. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Emory. Best climate let alone everything else....

I wouldn't say it has the best climate, depends on what you like. They call it hotlanta for a reason, and it can be quite humid. I think it depends on what kind of environment you think you will do well in. I go to emory and kinda wish I had gone to either Georgetown or NYU. Emory med is like Emory undergrad, kinda cutthroat. If I had a nickel for every time I heard about notes or textbooks getting stolen. But like I said some people like a kinda competitive environment. So go where you think you would fit in best, but like I said I've been kinda disappointed in Emory. You can PM me if you have any questions, hope this helped :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know what year EmoryStud is in but the first year class (at least the folks I hang out with) aren't competitive at all. I've really liked everything about Emory (and Atlanta) so far.

I have a friend who is a 2nd year at Emory...she absolutely loves it. I think she has found her niche...so she is perfectly comfortable.

She says she likes being in Atlanta and likes the fact that she was able to BUY A HOUSE:eek: :eek: :eek:

Going to school in a real estate market that makes it possible for a med student living on a budget to buy a house in a reputable area is a major plus. Specifically she bought a 3bd rm house and rents out the other two rooms to other med students....yeah...she's practically making $$$$ especially since the real estate market out in Hotlanta is booming.

emory's by far the strongest choice here. from my experiences at revisit and the interview last year, i don't remember the students being competitive at all. competitiveness tends to vary by class anyway, so i'm not sure you can predict how your own experience there would be.

in any case, georgetown also seems to have letter grading (4 intervals during the basic science years?), so i would imagine that the environment there would be no less competitive than at emory.

choose emory! it's got a great campus, great people, new educational facilities, excellent resources nearby, and a darn good location...unless you absolutely hated Grady, i think it's the clear choice.

It's good to hear a few other students contradicting the statements made by EmoryStud. I also think Emory is the choice here, if this was my choice.

My response would be go to the school that will cost the least. I am about to graduate and realizing that by the time I am done with residency and maybe fellowship, I would owe close to half million bucks with all the stupid interest and all, is TERRIFYING!

I wouldn't say it has the best climate, depends on what you like. They call it hotlanta for a reason, and it can be quite humid. I think it depends on what kind of environment you think you will do well in. I go to emory and kinda wish I had gone to either Georgetown or NYU. Emory med is like Emory undergrad, kinda cutthroat. If I had a nickel for every time I heard about notes or textbooks getting stolen. But like I said some people like a kinda competitive environment. So go where you think you would fit in best, but like I said I've been kinda disappointed in Emory. You can PM me if you have any questions, hope this helped :)

Yeah, not sure which year this guy is in. I'm a third year at Emory Med and people are not cutthroat. People are more competitive with themselves than with others. People will share every single piece of note and every single book they own. People post their study guides and other study aides. And no one steals books.

Emory's a great choice, and it is a very strong program. The students, faculty, admin are all great.

Yeah, not sure which year this guy is in. I'm a third year at Emory Med and people are not cutthroat. People are more competitive with themselves than with others. People will share every single piece of note and every single book they own. People post their study guides and other study aides. And no one steals books.

Emory's a great choice, and it is a very strong program. The students, faculty, admin are all great.

I'm an Emory 4th year and I agree--i've never heard of anyone stealing notes or books. In fact, in my class, we actually had an online forum called Study Guides where people posted their own notes and outlines they had done for other people to use. We don't have an honors/pass/fail system, so hey, everyone can make an A if everyone gets 90% in the first couple of years. There'd be no point in trying to sabotage anyone else because it wouldn't improve your own grade at all.

If there is a significant financial advantage for going to your state school, I could see doing that depending on just how much you'd save. Georgetown though--personally, I don't think it's worth the money and from what I remember when I interviewed there, they don't give a ton of grants/scholarships.

i didnt apply to emory, but i just made the decision of georgetown over RWJ in my own applications. the students there (GU) were very positive about the fact that there are not as many gunners as everyone automatically presumes there are, and that the class was very friendly. good luck with your decision!