Emotions Checks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samac

Rojo extraordinaire, gave away my tinfoil to PSV
7+ Year Member
Contest Winner!
Reaction score
So I'm on my first inpatient rotation. Today I had a patient I have grown very fond of decide to go to hospice. It was a very sound medical decision, but she started talking about how she'll go to heaven and be able to walk and see again and be with her husband and her parents.
It really got to me and I teared up and I don't want to do that in the future. I don't know what to do though to prevent it. Anyone else have emotions and can give me recommendations to keep mine in check?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think this is a normal response, and I don't know if you should do anything to prevent you from showing emotion. That is a recipe for burnout and might turn you into another one of those jaded, callous physicians. As time goes on and you see more and more patients, I bet you are going to find a way to channel that emotion into something positive and productive.

The patients are there for your medical expertise/knowledge AND your emotional and mental support. Your having an emotional manifestation for the fate of your patient is not only healthy but necessary for you to become an excellent physician. I just fear that you are going to lose that emotional and empathetic component that comes with being a physician.

Last edited:
So I'm on my first inpatient rotation. Today I had a patient I have grown very fond of decide to go to hospice. It was a very sound medical decision, but she started talking about how she'll go to heaven and be able to walk and see again and be with her husband and her parents.
It really got to me and I teared up and I don't want to do that in the future. I don't know what to do though to prevent it. Anyone else have emotions and can give me recommendations to keep mine in check?
You're a student and likely didn't have to deal with this at the level it happens in medicine. Over time you will develop a callous to it or at least better coping mechanisms. Don't try to force what will come naturally.

Members don't see this ad :)
I second the above with albinohawk. Time and experience will make instances like this less painful/teary. Somber moments will continue to come up in your training, but you'll be better equipped to deal with them.
Take comfort in being human - you're already a better student than the person who doesn't feel emotion the 1st time.

Don't prevent it.

You'll get used to seeing it if not everyday, every week. Keep as much of it around for as long as you can. Remember that feeling, even when your patient is a drug addict. Remember that they're a person, they're in pain, and they're coming to you for help.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
At some point you’ll realize it’s just a job, and then when that happens it kinda sucks. Enjoy the empathy!