Employer contact?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zooboy827

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a non-trad that has been part of the work force for about 8 years after graduating college. I have interviewed at different schools and have received acceptances. I am definitely going to school next year, but I don't see any advantage to giving an eight month notice to my work. I plan on telling them my plans about a month before I leave.

My concern is that one of the schools will contact my employer to verify my employment, work ethic, etc. If they call, then my work will find out I'm leaving. I don't want to burn any bridges or have them hear from someone else; they have been a good employer and deserve an explanation from me. At the same time, I don't see any advantage to telling them yet, I think it would make for a complicated work environment at this point...

Long story short, has anyone had a school contact their employer before or after acceptance?

Thanks!

I am not aware of any school that would contact employer unless there is a legitimate reason. Even if they do, I doubt they will reveal your medical school acceptance that could potentially jeopardize your job situation.

I am in the same situation and I've never heard any school contacting employer to verify employment, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reassurance, I'm just too much of a Type A sometimes. I have an interview at my top school (DMU) tomorrow so I'm probably just stressed out. I'm going to try and slow my mind down and get some solid sleep.

Thanks for the replies

Good luck tomorrow! Interviews are quite stressful, but relax, be yourself and do well!

And to answer your question, most places wont call your place of employment because there are far too many applicants to make calling all employers a worthwhile adventure Unless you give a reason or a doubt to call an employer, you are perfectly fine.

Good luck. I can confidently say DMU did not call my employer so they won't call yours. Unless there is a blatant lie like you founded the company and you work for microsoft.