EMR of choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobLoblaw78

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
We are still doing paper charting (not that I mind) and considering a switch to intraoperative EMR. We are smaller 8 OR hospital facility that uses hospital-wide Meditech Expanse. So, any that you would recommend to consider (or to stay away from)?

I don't always think the grass is greener, but think EMR's bring more positives then negatives. I don't look forward to a transition but hope it will be worth it. Or should I fight it off until it is mandated by the government? Thanks!

(couldn't find this topic elsewhere, although, it isn't easy to search when multiple users have EMR in their user name!)

Members don't see this ad.

If you have Draeger machines, the Innovian system is modern and works well. I've seen it at the VA.

There is also this, specifically for your EMR: https://www.meditech.com/productbriefs/flyers/AnesthesiaInterfaceSuite.pdf (I have no idea about it).

In this day and age, paper-based documentation is mainly for practices who wish to hide poor intraop management, or for short procedures (e.g. cardioversion, EGD). I think the pluses far outweigh the minuses.

(Personally, I like EPIC, but that's not an option for you.)

Last edited by a moderator:
We've used Drager machines and Innovian in the Navy since 2006. It's a simple, easy to use system that works.

It was state of the art 12 years ago, however it hasn't really changed or been updated since then. I'm not sure that the lack of updates and feature creep is a bad thing. But the fact that it's not tied into our other EMRs is a small problem.