EMT far from perfect, You know what to do.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMTKid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having the hardest time finding which medical schools to look at when applying. I'm also taking the may 1st MCATS. So far I have this:

-cGPA: 3.7
-Major: Human Biology at UCSD
-TA'd for three quarters for three different classes
-Mentored fifth graders for half a year
-Full-time EMT-B for a summer
-per-diem ER tech for 1 year (EMT, but with no wheels and in the ER)
-Aiming for a 35+ for MCATs (update: I got a 37Q)

BIGGIE TO CONSIDER:
I graduated in June of 2009, went to Vietnam just to explore the world, came back and work until November 2009, then helped my mom run a homestay business taking care of two foreign students until February. Then became a self-employed tutor.

tl;dr 3.7, awaiting mcats, emt, GO

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm having the hardest time finding which medical schools to look at when applying. I'm also taking the may 1st MCATS. So far I have this:

-cGPA: 3.707
-Major: Human Biology at UCSD
-TA'd for three quarters for three different classes
-Mentored fifth graders for half a year
-Full-time EMT-B for a summer
-per-diem ER tech for 1 year (EMT, but with no wheels and in the ER)
-Aiming for a 35+ for MCATs

BIGGIE TO CONSIDER:
I graduated in June of 2009, went to Vietnam just to explore the world, came back and work until November 2009, then helped my mom run a homestay business taking care of two foreign students until February. Then became a self-employed tutor.

tl;dr 3.7, awaiting mcats, emt, GO

sorry, this isn't in regards to your post....

how long did you have to train to become an EMT? What about an ER tech? I'm looking at doing this in my off year. Thx :)

If you go 35+ on MCATs you are solid to apply at any school in America, you just need to have a full application: Personal Statement/ECs/clincal/etc maybe research.

Your MCAT means everything, 29 or 36 will completely change the picture.

EMT-B training is usually a few months long. Check your local community colleges. ERs often hire EMTs to work as techs.

To the OP,
You have a solid GPA...is your sGPA about the same as cumulative? UCs are a toss up. Do you have an MSAR? Your best OOS choices are usually private schools, or public schools that take a fair amount of non-residents. You can find these stats in the MSAR. If you get 30+ on the MCAT--and apply wisely--you should be fine. I believe a 35 MCAT puts you around 94th percentile, so if you can pull that off you'd be golden--but the reality is that there are very few people in the 35+ range, despite what you see on SDN.

Members don't see this ad :)
If a half year of mentoring kids is all the community service you have, you might want to work on adding more on a regular weekly basis, as all med schools like to see volunteerism.

Also, have you done anything you would characterize as peer leadership?

Your teaching is particularly strong, and I'm sure you've worked side-by-side with ER docs. Have you formally shadowed an office-based primary care doc, or maybe a surgeon or hospitalist for some variety of exposure to different ways medicine is practiced?

Without a substantive research experience, you might consider not applying to the top twenty or so most selective, research-giant type schools, but otherwise, if you get the MCAT you project, you could have a decent shot at any school whose mission matches up with your experiences.

I'd list the travel to Vietnam under Other, just because it's interesting and somewhat unique.

I took a 8 week program in the summer at a local JC. Cost was about 300 for class, 300 for materials. On top of that it was 300 more to get all your certs and to take the NREMT. I worked for an ambulance company for a 3 months in the summer and while I did that I kept applying to work as an ER Tech. The more classes you can take on top of your EMT-B will help you. Things like ACLS or combitube or whatever else is out there. This is because ER Tech positions can be taken up by paramedics and OR techs.

I say go for it.

Nothing else has strengthen my drive to become a doctor more than to interact with patients in an acute care setting. Just know that it'll take some preparation and perseverance to get to ER tech. I know tons of people that got their EMT-Basic class done, but stopped at taking the NREMT test. So they basically took a class and a test, then didn't use the cert. Plan your time accordingly and it could be a very fulfilling experience.

Thanks to everyone else for the encouragement. I really need some research bad, but I don't know where to go to get an entry position. I graduated and I don't even know if internships are offered to someone like me.

I got a 37Q on the MCATs. How am I looking. I'm from Cali, what schools should I look into?

Great job!

Have you done anything to boost your ECs in the last two months?

Stats-wise, you can reasonably apply anywhere you like. But with no research, minimal community service, and no leadership experience that we're aware of, if cash is tight, you might logically go light on top twenty research schools. Your teaching and clinical background are terrific though. Ideally, you'd look through an MSAR and read the schools' missions, looking for those that emphasize your strengths.

I joined the Red Cross and will be helping out with tons of first aid station stuff this summer. I am also in the interview process for a clinical research position at Stanford. So none of it will be going on my app.

You pegged me though on looking through MSAR. It's my bible. :D

I really want to go to UC Davis. I hope they don't mind.

Thanks for your help Catalystik and everyone else!