EMT in private service for Clinical Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

klever

Reaction score
answered, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello,

I have many hours in EMT private service (aside from shadowing, volunteering in hospitals, and normal volunteering). Will the admissions committee look down upon my hours as an EMT because they are not in 911 (I primarily did facility to facility transport and hospice)? Or will they look fine and looked upon well by the admissions committees, and be considered hours of clinical experience along with my other hours? Thanks!
I think it really does not make much of a difference. The EMT experience involves great patient contact hours regardless of the types of calls you're running.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it really does not make much of a difference. The EMT experience involves great patient contact hours regardless of the types of calls you're running.
Yea, I guess you're right!

The only time I have fielded objections to EMT is if you are only doing event contingencies (stand by during concerts or sports events).
Makes sense, I'm always doing stuff involving patients while I'm on the clock. Thanks!

Depends entirely on how you approach it. One of my most memorable experiences in my ~7 years in EMS was during an IFT call where I had the privilege of bringing a hospice patient from a hospital to a hospice facility. The family met us on the way there, and due to it being COVID essentially said their goodbyes there. Treat every patient as a privilege (no matter how cranky) and you will have tons to write about, and will learn a lot.

Reactions: 2 users
Depends entirely on how you approach it. One of my most memorable experiences in my ~7 years in EMS was during an IFT call where I had the privilege of bringing a hospice patient from a hospital to a hospice facility. The family met us on the way there, and due to it being COVID essentially said their goodbyes there. Treat every patient as a privilege (no matter how cranky) and you will have tons to write about, and will learn a lot.
Great story, will keep stuff like this in mind, thanks for sharing!

Hello,

I have many hours in EMT private service (aside from shadowing, volunteering in hospitals, and normal volunteering). Will the admissions committee look down upon my hours as an EMT because they are not in 911 (I primarily did facility to facility transport and hospice)?
It's patient contact experience; that fine.

Unless you were just being a glorified bus driver?

It's patient contact experience; that fine.

Unless you were just being a glorified bus driver?
Hmmm, I took care of them at their lowest, and took care of the usual trach patients and those who need oxygen. I ofc formed little relationships with them along the route, and had some scary situations with some of the vitals and the instability of vitals that I had to monitor closely and be there for the patients. I think this was a bit above bus driver experience. I was just worried about how admissions would see it!

Hmmm, I took care of them at their lowest, and took care of the usual trach patients and those who need oxygen. I ofc formed little relationships with them along the route, and had some scary situations with some of the vitals and the instability of vitals that I had to monitor closely and be there for the patients. I think this was a bit above bus driver experience. I was just worried about how admissions would see it!
You'll be fine!!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Agree that it’s value is mostly dependent on how you tell the story. Still, you should strive to get some 911 experience. I’ve done both and garnered much more practical knowledge and experience from my 911 work.

Agree that it’s value is mostly dependent on how you tell the story. Still, you should strive to get some 911 experience. I’ve done both and garnered much more practical knowledge and experience from my 911 work.
The fire training academy is lengthy, and is kind of out of the way and doesn't really fit into my schedule, unfortunately

I had about 2 years working full time as an EMT in private. Any EMT experience is such a plus over most volunteer or shadowing experience as far as knowing if you like working with patients and understand the actual practice of medicine. Also being the one actually making some of the decisions helps you start to feel comfortable with the responsibilities to come. i met maybe one person on the interview trail that didn’t seem impressed - and I actually learned later they were PhD not MD or DO. Most people thought it was a pretty big deal as most traditional students aren’t able to get that type of experience before med school.

Do 911 if you want - don’t if you don’t want. It shouldn’t make a difference for admissions so that decision would be just what you prefer. If you’re already dead set on a specialty such as Emergency or surgery - or you’re entertaining the idea - it could be good experience. You’ll get plenty of experience in later years though too. I hate anything urgent and I’m in a specialty that fits not having to do anything (most things) urgently.