Technology Encripting wireless internet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Megalofyia

425 lbs and growing
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got a wireless router for a laptop but I'm still directly connected to the internet via a desktop that's attached to the router. My question is how do I encript my internet so that I'm not giving away free internet to my apt complex? I don't really need people downloading stuff that will get me in trouble. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Read the manual. Truthfully, that's the answer.
HOW exactly to do it will depend on which router youhave.

If possible, you need to find out how to do the following:
Disable SSID broadcasting
Enable MAC address limits so only you can connect
Enable 64 bit WEP (128 is fine and dandy, but i've had speeds slow due to it and 64 is find for this)

Members don't see this ad :)
Megalofyia said:
I don't have the manual.

Yeah, do exactly those three things that phatmonkey said. Just google for it, and you can find out. If you can't, post me the make and model of the wireless router, and I'll find the links that have the how-to.

Many routers dont support #1, but they all support #2 and #3.

How do you know if you've done it correctly?

I'm using a linksys wireless B broadband router. It apparently came with some CD that would make encrypting easy. I however don't have this CD is there anyway I can download it from somewhere? I can't seem to find this.

You don't have the manual?? That sucks.

Before you even get to the wireless part of the router, you'll need to connect it to your [cable or DSL] modem and make sure the wired connection works first.

Do you know the IP address of the router? 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.100 or something along those lines. Log in with the default administrator password (usually none or admin) and hopefully you'll have some sort of web-based interface.

The first thing I would do to keep people out is to use the MAC filter. THEN deal with the WEP or WPA encryption.

what brand.model router? got to the manufacturer's website and download the manual.

to test if it's working, turn the security features on, delete all the wireless settings on ur laptop and try to connect. if u can, it isn't working. if u can't, then it's working flawlesly.

I don't have the laptop... and *my* laptop doesn't have wireless abilities. The brand is what I mentioned above. The manufacture doesn't have the stuff I need to install on their website...

OK, so you have a desktop and a laptop, and neither of them support wireless? A lot of routers have the ability to turn off wireless completely if that's what you want to do.

Megalofyia said:
I don't have the laptop... and *my* laptop doesn't have wireless abilities. The brand is what I mentioned above. The manufacture doesn't have the stuff I need to install on their website...

what's the model #? it should be located on the bottom of your router. post it and we'll find the link for you.

i have a netgear wireless b router and found that even though i blocked access to the router but turning off the radio, i can still pick up a signal but wasn't able to do anything with it....so it's relatively still secure.

Dallenoff said:
OK, so you have a desktop and a laptop, and neither of them support wireless? A lot of routers have the ability to turn off wireless completely if that's what you want to do.
The desktop MIGHT support wireless but it's connected directly to the router.. (I JUST got it a few days ago.) I'm trying to work my cable so I can share it with a neighbor who does have a labtop that supports wireless but I don't want other neighbors getting the wireless too. I also want to set it up so that it's not my IP address being used when she's on the internet.

Yogi Bear said:
what's the model #? it should be located on the bottom of your router. post it and we'll find the link for you.

i have a netgear wireless b router and found that even though i blocked access to the router but turning off the radio, i can still pick up a signal but wasn't able to do anything with it....so it's relatively still secure.
BEFW11S4

I have the link to the manual. That I DON"T want.. what I want is the software that was suposed to come with the router.

I still can't find the software I need on that site.. when I click on what should be the link it says document contains no data.

Megalofyia said:
I still can't find the software I need on that site.. when I click on what should be the link it says document contains no data.

why don't u just email customer support and ask them to email u the software? typically routers don't need additional software to use. u simply access the settings via your web browser (various by manufacturer, but something like http://xxx......). it doesn't get much easier than that. the address should be in the instruction manual.

Yeah that looks like what I will have to do. The person who wants the wireless connection wants it today... and I want to be all encrypted when that happens rather than letting everyone have internet.

In your web browser type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar.

A login window should pop-up, leave the username blanks, and just type admin in the password window.

It should log you into the router control panel.

I would suggest 64-bit WEP Encryption and MAC Filtering, but leave the SSID broadcast alone. The person running the wireless card might have trouble if you disable the SSID broadcase. When you encrypt the router you must share the 1st key generated with the other person, otherwise they will be unable to use the wireless connection. I would also recommend against using WAP encryption unless the person is using a linksys wireless card, as it probably won't be compatible. WEP encryption is universal and they should have no trouble.

Here is a link to the user guide for your hardware, it should show you step-by-step how to do the two things I mentioned above:

ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pdf/befw11s4ug.pdfftp://ftp.linksys.com/pdf/befw11s4ug.pdf