End of Freshmen Year GPAs!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr.Patel

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just completed my freshmen year in my state university. Currently I am a Pre Med/Dental (Shadowing both to decide what I really like---but that is besides the point).

I had a terrible start to my college life. First Semester I failed a course and my GPA with the failed course for the first semester was 1.8333. For the second semester My GPA was 3.45. Both combined my GPA comes out to about an overall of 2.6.

However My University completely replaces grades if you retake the failed course. I retook the course and got an A in it. With the replaced course, my overall GPA comes to 3.05. I am not sure whether Medical/Dental Schools (asking Pre Med students!) will look at the replaced GPA or the old one. My university gets rid of the old grade completly and puts an R in front of it (R = replaced). I know this is a bad start, but is there still good hope for me ?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone. I just completed my freshmen year in my state university. Currently I am a Pre Med/Dental (Shadowing both to decide what I really like---but that is besides the point).

I had a terrible start to my college life. First Semester I failed a course and my GPA with the failed course for the first semester was 1.8333. For the second semester My GPA was 3.45. Both combined my GPA comes out to about an overall of 2.6.

However My University completely replaces grades if you retake the failed course. I retook the course and got an A in it. With the replaced course, my overall GPA comes to 3.05. I am not sure whether Medical/Dental Schools (asking Pre Med students!) will look at the replaced GPA or the old one. My university gets rid of the old grade completly and puts an R in front of it (R = replaced). I know this is a bad start, but is there still good hope for me ?

US MD schools will look at both grades (assuming they show on the transcript) when calculating your GPA. DO schools will only look at the second grade. (Don't know what dental schools do).

Either way, the retake clearly helped and you know the material now. Assuming you don't bomb any more classes from here on out and you get high numbers, you can pull that GPA up and explain the 1 F as a mistake made early in your freshman year. There is still hope.

I'm in the same boat. I didn't too well my first year since I was having a really hard time transitioning to college. I haven't failed a course yet, but I've gotten nothing but B's. Two classes from last semester were pass/fail and I took one more pass/fail this semester since they were all mandatory pass/fail classes. I thought I failed Organic Chemistry I but through some miracle, I ended up getting a B. It feels like I can't get into medical school now because my freshman year grades are so horrible. I know it's no excuse, but I came from a large urban high school where academics were subpar. Going to this school was a huge change for me. Now that I know what to expect, I know what I need to do to increase my performance. Do I still have a chance? Should I just give up and now and just pursue a different career in International Relations or English? If I can somehow make straight A's for the next three years and maybe take some summer classes to make up for my pathetic GPA, will I be ok? I don't mean to sound neurotic at all. It's just that all the premed kids I'm surrounded with are so neurotic and competitive. I'm afraid I'm not as competitive as them. Help.

Members don't see this ad :)
US MD schools will look at both grades (assuming they show on the transcript) when calculating your GPA. DO schools will only look at the second grade. (Don't know what dental schools do).

I understand that they will look at both grades. However, which GPA will they see? The one with the replaced grade or the "Bad" one?

I understand that they will look at both grades. However, which GPA will they see? The one with the replaced grade or the "Bad" one?

They won't see either "GPA." They will see every single course you have ever received credit for, and the grade associated with these courses, and AMCAS will calculate your GPA based on that.

I think they average the two, though I'm not 100% sure.

Mr. Patel. We had a long thread on this subject several months ago. I can't find it right now, or I'd link you to it.

Most schools do show both grades. A few show an R and the second grade. AMCAS requires that grades be reported as shown on the transcript. Those of you have the "R" on there report that and report the grade for the second go-round. "R's", like "W's", wind up not being calculated into the GPA, since there is no defined value. Only the grade obtained on your second attempt will be calculated. Both will show on the printout.

Drpsycho, heck no, all is not lost! Don't let those other students get to you. It is not uncommon for students to struggle through their first year, because it is a time of adjustment. Your grades weren't even "horrible", they just weren't as high as you would have preferred. You have the opportunity to display "a strong upward trend", something that is taken into consideration. Do your best from here on out. Even if you don't get all "A's", you are in the running.

Too often, premeds have the need to feel superior to others. Don't let it get to you.

AMCAS will calculate your gpa with the F, AACOMAS will calculate your GPA with the replaced A.

I'm in the same boat. I didn't too well my first year since I was having a really hard time transitioning to college. I haven't failed a course yet, but I've gotten nothing but B's. Two classes from last semester were pass/fail and I took one more pass/fail this semester since they were all mandatory pass/fail classes. I thought I failed Organic Chemistry I but through some miracle, I ended up getting a B. It feels like I can't get into medical school now because my freshman year grades are so horrible. I know it's no excuse, but I came from a large urban high school where academics were subpar. Going to this school was a huge change for me. Now that I know what to expect, I know what I need to do to increase my performance. Do I still have a chance? Should I just give up and now and just pursue a different career in International Relations or English? If I can somehow make straight A's for the next three years and maybe take some summer classes to make up for my pathetic GPA, will I be ok? I don't mean to sound neurotic at all. It's just that all the premed kids I'm surrounded with are so neurotic and competitive. I'm afraid I'm not as competitive as them. Help.

id say don't stress. take a lighter course load, maybe do fewer ec's and work on improving studying skills and really hammering the classes you take. theres plenty of time to redeem your cum gpa, but you may have to think outside the box in terms of when it's the right time to apply (i.e. maybe you will be a stronger applicant after you graduate or after a post-bacc program or something because you would have more semesters with high gpas).

if you are worried about having too few ec's or too few credits, consider summer sessions/winter sessions and try beefing up ec's then.

good luck

Drpsycho, heck no, all is not lost! Don't let those other students get to you. It is not uncommon for students to struggle through their first year, because it is a time of adjustment. Your grades weren't even "horrible", they just weren't as high as you would have preferred. You have the opportunity to display "a strong upward trend", something that is taken into consideration. Do your best from here on out. Even if you don't get all "A's", you are in the running.

Too often, premeds have the need to feel superior to others. Don't let it get to you.
:thumbup:
i was too slow in responding

You now have a chance for a upward trend. Keep working hard, learn from your mistakes and achieve. You can do it.

3.02. Not good at all but I know I'll bring it up.

my freshman gpa is equivalent to academic probation.

They won't see either "GPA." They will see every single course you have ever received credit for, and the grade associated with these courses, and AMCAS will calculate your GPA based on that.

except universities that truly replace grades issue transcripts with "R's" ... AMCAS won't know what to do with an R, and so they'll just move on and take the better grade.

... right?

except universities that truly replace grades issue transcripts with "R's" ... AMCAS won't know what to do with an R, and so they'll just move on and take the better grade.

... right?

yes, an R will be equivalent of a W. too many of them will be brought up at interviews

... right?

Sort of right. They see the "R" and it stays listed, but it doesn't get calculated.

id say don't stress. take a lighter course load, maybe do fewer ec's and work on improving studying skills and really hammering the classes you take. theres plenty of time to redeem your cum gpa, but you may have to think outside the box in terms of when it's the right time to apply (i.e. maybe you will be a stronger applicant after you graduate or after a post-bacc program or something because you would have more semesters with high gpas).

if you are worried about having too few ec's or too few credits, consider summer sessions/winter sessions and try beefing up ec's then.

good luck

I think I have too many EC's. I was involved in like 4 things or maybe I'm just bad with managing my time. Anyway, I think I should be ok with EC's for now. I just really need to fix my GPA. I even thought about transferring to my state school hoping it would be easier. But I don't know how bad that will look.

I think I have too many EC's. I was involved in like 4 things or maybe I'm just bad with managing my time. Anyway, I think I should be ok with EC's for now. I just really need to fix my GPA. I even thought about transferring to my state school hoping it would be easier. But I don't know how bad that will look.

Yes, GPA takes priority over EC's. You've got to get the GPA up for them to even look at the EC's. So, work on the grades, and gradually add the activities as you feel confident. It's not unusual for freshmen to get over involved at the expense of their grades.

well i suggested cutting back on ec's (and credits) during the semester, but that may concern you. that's y i brought up summer and winter sessions for credits and ec's.

and Humid is right; gpa comes first. you have to prove that you can do well academically before all else. and im sure you know quality over quantity when it come to ec's.

transferring "down" is a no-no, according to the adcoms i've talked to (and LizzyM). you need to have genuine reasons for transferring, such as your school not having the major you want or a loved one falling ill and you needing to be closer to home for support.. otherwise, it looks like a cop-out. also, you need to be mindful of things like lors and leadership positions. transferring would most-likely hurt in those regards.