Endocrinology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Target Endo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have finished my residency in 2005 and am interested in endocrinology fellowship.I am planning to start doing research now and apply in 2007.I wanted to get valuable suggestions from those who are applying or have applied and matched into endo fellowships,regarding ways to improve my chances to match when i apply next year.

Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I have finished my residency in 2005 and am interested in endocrinology fellowship.I am planning to start doing research now and apply in 2007.I wanted to get valuable suggestions from those who are applying or have applied and matched into endo fellowships,regarding ways to improve my chances to match when i apply next year.

Thank you all.

I have a question concerning Endocrinology. So I know Step 1 scores are the key to getting into a good residency, but if you are wanting to do a subspecialty of IM, like cardio or endo, will any residency do? I ask this, because IM is fairly uncompetitive and would be somewhat easy to match into, and I'm wondering what then are the criteria are for being selected as an endocrinology fellow. Is it the work you do in your residency?

Please don't discount my questions because I am early in the process :)

Thanks

Here's what they look for as far as I know based on my own interview experience...
1. what research you have done in medical school and in residency
2. Step scores --- they look at trends and passing...rather than actual high scores, so if you're doing better or about the same all your step scores, that's all they care about
3. great letters of recs
4. if you have a faculty recommendation from the place you want to do fellowship at, that's an extra plus
5. how well you express your desire to do endo at the interview
6. they are looking for academic people, or people really into clinical or basic science research and the desire to go into academic medicine some day

good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys i'm a second year resident at a community program in pittsburgh. I have applied to 20 programs all over the place and have yet to hear anything either way. When do programs normally start interviewing.

Hey guys i'm a second year resident at a community program in pittsburgh. I have applied to 20 programs all over the place and have yet to hear anything either way. When do programs normally start interviewing.
I am in a community program too, applied to about 30 programs, nothing so far. Not even a negative answer. My hopes that it is still early in the interview season. Some of the programs just downloaded my application. Let me know how if your interviews will go. Good luck.

Hello!
I'm also from a community program - but in Chicago. I've applied to 30 programs, as well. I've received 5 interview invitations - for which I'm happy...but I was also expecting more of a response. I was a little worried because 2 of my LORs didn't get in until late Dec.
I hope we all hear more in the next week or so!

Hey thats great that you already have 5 interviews, I'm sure you are ahead of the game. Were you able to do much in the way of research as a resident, I heard that endo programs really like that. Let us know how your interviews go. Any interviews on the east coast or chicago

Thanks!
I have been involved in 2 clinical studies. One with moderate involvement, on the other I just finished writing the protocol (phew!). I also recently submitted an abstract to the endocrine society.
My first interview was at Georgetown - seems like a great/strong clinical program - lemme know if you want details!

congrats on the interviews, all the best
i m first year resident in a community hospital in chicago, i m also intersted in endo. my question to you are you doing the reasearch at your hospital or at some other hospital, i have been trying to hook up with some reasercher at the university hospitals with out success. if you could guid me regarding where and how can i get a research apportunity, i would really appreciate that.

Hey there!

Glad to see the interest in endo! It was an exhausting interview season - happy it's over.
I was able to plug into some clinical research at my university-affiliated/community program. Most of the attendings are clinical, but we have two that are 80% research 20% clinical. One is involved in bench and the other clinical research. I opted for clinical. Anything is good, but bench research might have made me even more competitive in terms of interview invitations (though I can't complain since I got my first choice program).

Message me some more info about you - maybe I can provide some ideas... I'm no big expert, though, by any means ^_^

Good luck!

Thanks Adam6 for your reply and congrats on getting your first choice program.

the thing is that we do not have endo research at my hospital
so i m trying to hook up with an ongoing research at some other hospital . i sent e mails to some endocrinologist in the universities hosp like northwestern, UIC , U of Illinois. asking them if they have any research opportunity but i have not got any response so far.
do you think you have such opportunity at your hospital? any suggestions about this matter?

my other question is for IMG who are applying to endo? because I m on H1 and i do not know how is that gonna affect my application, i heard that very few programs sponsor H1.

hey damen what is up with your interviews?

thanks

Hey I didn't have much luck with interviews. I still have to hear from a couple of programs but I'm not holding my breadth. I think it is important to get involved in some research especially anything with primary data collection. I did some studies with chart reviews and am actually presenting at the AACE meeting in Seattle but I guess the programs were not that impressed. Anyway definitely get involved in research and if possible do an away elective that way you are not just an app. I think if I reapply next year I am going to do an away elective. Good luck

Damien