endodontics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blue sky 426

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys this is my first post.

I really need help.
I’m a foreign graduate dentist have a license in California (through the bench exam)
Have 5 years experience, I’m a green card holder, done hundreds of endo .
ndbe1 86 ndbe2 83
I applied last yearto endo programs ..Not even an interview..:(

Should I do GPR, AEGD , internship?
Were do u think I should apply east coast new York ,Pennsylvania ?????

Any input will be greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

not to rain in on your parade but I don't see endo in your future. Endo is VERY competative, like 90+ boards, and then there's the politics on top of that. Your skills are a great asset to have as a GP though. You can always look to see what GPRs didn't match any residents or see where there's open slots. Or just do private practice.

not to rain in on your parade but I don't see endo in your future. Endo is VERY competative, like 90+ boards, and then there's the politics on top of that. Your skills are a great asset to have as a GP though. You can always look to see what GPRs didn't match any residents or see where there's open slots. Or just do private practice.

I don't know if I 100% agree, though I think you are mostly correct. If you were an American dentist, I would say you have a reasonable chance. Doing a GPR/AEGD can always help and I'd suggest that if you are really set on endo. The problem for you is being foreign trained. From what I am told, this makes acceptances very hard to come by... Best of luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Foreign trained makes your goal a bit more challenging. If you were US trained I would say you have a fair to decent shot. Many of my friends got into endodontics with similar marks as you. If endo is your passion, go for it.

Foreign trained makes your goal a bit more challenging. If you were US trained I would say you have a fair to decent shot. Many of my friends got into endodontics with similar marks as you. If endo is your passion, go for it.

Thank you guys for replying. I know it is very tough for me ...but I want that very bad.. Any thoughts, do you know any school that might consider foreign graduates
Thanks

BlueSky,

I don't think a GPR/AEGD would strengthen your application at this point. It mainly serves to be a quick route to "experience" that most programs like to see. Since you've been practicing for 5 years, I would say that you already have some "experience." If you know what I mean.

You sure sound to be serious about endo. I applaud you for your drive. If I were you, I would focus my efforts on doing research (maybe even look into an M.S. program where you can get published). Another thing would be to look into preceptorships. San Antonio, Oregon and Baylor all have something similar where you attend lectures etc. for a year with the residents. A lot of these guys end up getting in the year after their preceptorship at that school or somewhere else.

Another thing is that starting in 2010 the NBDE is going to be Pass / Fail only. This may make your sub-90 board scores less important (although not until 2012 or so).

Best of luck.

ElDienteLoco :hello:
Thank you for your post, I was thinking to do exactly what you have said..I'm just browsing the web, emailing and see what happens..Few months ago I was going to buy a practice and just do general dentistry...But I couldn't do that I Simply like to do endo and surgery.(.I like endo more) I know i will do well ..I just want somebody to give me a chance..
I have done a lot of endo ..The more I do it the more I like it ..It became a passion..
Thanks again...