Quantcast
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted564680

Members don't see this ad.
So, I was bored and looking through ACGME fellowships and found it interesting that there are now only 6 total ACGME accredited endovascular surgical neuroradiology fellowships left.

3 in rads: Cleveland Clinic, WashU, Johns Hopkins
2 in neurosurgery: Barrow, Univ. of Florida
1 in neurology: Minnesota

Now, these are the accredited programs, and I guess there are more out there that are not accredited? Or is this fellowship truly dead. I know there was talk of this being a "bubble" subspecialty. I'm curious how it's viewed by those who are out there practicing. Is it finally dead?

chronicidal

Scrub
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
lots of unaccredited fellowships so the fellows can bill and be paid as instructor-level faculty

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this common in many subspecialties in radiology (or in medicine)?
Relatively common in radiology.
IR, Neuro, Nucs, Peds are accredited.
All others are generally not

MadRadLad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Relatively common in radiology.
IR, Neuro, Nucs, Peds are accredited.
All others are generally not

What are the perks of accreditation? I'm just curious why some fellows can bill independently (and I assume get paid more?) while others cannot because of the status of the residency.

D

deleted564680

So, there are a lots of them that are not accredited? That's interesting. So, those 6 accredited programs aren't necessarily the "best" ones to do then?
Also, I'm still not sure if this is still a viable subspecialty for a radiologist :p

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the perks of accreditation? I'm just curious why some fellows can bill independently (and I assume get paid more?) while others cannot because of the status of the residency.
ACGME basically makes you a learner and is more controlled and consistent on educational requirements. You can't sign out your own cases.

Non accredited gives more flexibility, more creativity in terms of crafting fellowship components and the ability to sign out your own cases. This may not lead to a higher salary as they use some of your billable work to subsidize your fellowship spot.

D

deleted564680

So it would seem that it would be better to be in an accredited program since it's more "legitimate" and focused on learning. Learning > money. Right?

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it would seem that it would be better to be in an accredited program since it's more "legitimate" and focused on learning. Learning > money. Right?
Some subspecialties none are accredited so it's not really the distinction. It's a program by program evaluation.

Secondly, by the time you are a fellow, autonomy is part of learning. Signing off your own stuff in a semi protected environment IS education. So I wouldn't use that as a decider. Plenty of ACGME programs scutting their fellows out for non educational tasks.

D

deleted564680

Makes sense. Thanks.

So, I should assume endovascular neuroradiology is probably oversaturated and undesirable these days then as the rumors state.

shark2000

Reaction score
Makes sense. Thanks.

So, I should assume endovascular neuroradiology is probably oversaturated and undesirable these days then as the rumors state.

Yes but you are still a neuroradiologist and can do diagnostics.

badasshairday

Vascular and Interventional Radiology
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most are not accredited like most fellowships in rads besides VIR and neuro. I would say neurointerventional, particularly stroke interventional is on the cusp of being the next biggest thing in medicine after cardiac angioplasty and stenting. So much so that VIR guys like myself want to learn stroke.