Engaged/Newly Married People

Xandie

OB/GYN Resident
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I was just wondering how many of us are engaged or newly married, and how we see medical school affecting a serious relationship. For people who have made it work, any advice for us newbies?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been married for about 13 months. I start med school on Aug. 13.

My wife and I are both a little worried about how things will pan out in school. We're both loathe to miss any time apart. More importantly, we're worried about when is the best time to have kids.

I have no answers for you--only questions. Sorry.

--Funkless

Funkless-

What does your wife do? I think it's so much easier to handle the kids question if its the man that's in school and the woman does something more flexible.

Members don't see this ad :)
My wife is a veterinarian. Works a 40-hour workweek. Very stable job.

I think it'll be nice since she's a little more settled. At least she knows what to expect. My fiance and I will both be students, poor and in limbo, for the full four years. :thumbdown:

However, the kids thing. My friend's dad is a neurosurgeon (named John Hopkins, ironically) and he was doing the end of his residency/fellowship when she was a kid. She said she didn't recognize him until she was about five.
So if you're going into something with a ten year training program, I don't know when a good time would be!

That's exactly my problem.

Of course, anyone who names their child "John Hopkins" deserves what they get.

--Funkless

Mods, could you please move this to the spouses and partners forum?

Spouse forums...no need to remind us of what we don't have.

I got engaged on Memorial Day (yay me!). I've been with Fiancee 8 years, and I doubt anything will change, but I've seen more than one good marriage wrecked by med school, so we're probably waiting until after 2nd year.

Married one year yesterday. :) We've actually been living together since I started med school, so we've made it through 3 years of that. Advice: nothing will be perfect, med school WILL be a huge stress on both, but it's definitely workable.

Xandie said:
Hi everyone!

I was just wondering how many of us are engaged or newly married, and how we see medical school affecting a serious relationship. For people who have made it work, any advice for us newbies?
I've been married almost 2 years ( 2 years in August). I think that you both just have to sit and talk about your plans. Try to set a schedule. I told my hubby that I need to study X days a week for X hours...so he knows that he can do whatever he wants to at that time. Then we have a day when I don't study and focus completely on him! Communication is key! When I just wanted to study whenever...he felt neglected and I felt like he just didn't understand...but when we talked, things went smoothly. I cook while I'm studying...sometimes!! And...when he gets home, I've studied for a few hours and can then spend time with him. It will work out! It will be a challenge, but you can do it! As for time to have kids?!!!!! WHO KNOWS?!! I'm still trying to figure that one out....I think I'll wait until b/w 2nd and 3rd year or after the terrible rotations of 3rd year and just have it during 4th year when things are a little calmer...I'll just pray until then!!! :)

FH is in med school. He has been our entire relationship (6 years, we're in Italy so med school is that long here). I work. For the first 4 years I was in school (undergrad and grad). I don't really foresee any problems. We have the same issues to deal with as most couples. He just has more irregular hours. Until we have kids, I just roll with the flow. I would imagine that once we have kids, that will be more difficult.

I guess my biggest gripe is that he is always studying and using it as an excuse for not helping out around the house. Although somehow he manages to find time to surf the internet for hours on end, or watch tv for hours on end :rolleyes: . I honestly don't think this has anything to do with medicine though bc I have heard lots of gfs and wives complain about the same thing. So basically even though I work 9-6 M-F, I am still the one who does ALL the cooking, cleaning, ironing, etc.

someone engage me *cries*

i got asked once... but i didn't think he was serious about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Moving to spouse forums.

i am engaged. lord knows when we will actually get married... which is sort of a touchy subject for me right now... grrrrrr... maybe during or after 2nd year. or maybe we will just run away to vegas and elope.

i am a little nervous about how med school is going to change things. a good friend of mine just broke up with her boyfriend of 5 years, right at the end of her M1 year. she said it was just too hard and he was causing her more stress than good. but i think my fiance and i will be ok. we have been through some pretty extreme periods of change before, and our relationship seems to be flexible and strong enough to grow through it. my hope is that even though it will be stressful, i will be happy because i will be doing something i care about, and he will be happy to see me love what i do.

I'm engaged. We're getting married this September - I should start med school next September. Exciting year!

dtreese said:
I got engaged on Memorial Day (yay me!). I've been with Fiancee 8 years, and I doubt anything will change, but I've seen more than one good marriage wrecked by med school, so we're probably waiting until after 2nd year.

I'm engaged and thinking of waiting until after 1st or 2nd year myself for EXACTLY the same reason.

I want to get engaged to my med school sweetheart. Things worked beautifully for us during the first year of medical school and I love her very much. Still, some of you know I'm so worried because she's in the Army HPSP and that makes our future so very uncertain. I've been torn up for over a week now over it. I wish there was a clear answer...

I?m engaged and starting med school in the fall. My fiance is starting Ph.D. work. I don?t know when the wedding will be. I asked a lot of people at the school I chose, and they said 1st year summer is a good time, but I honestly don?t think we?ll be ready by then. We?d have to adjust to school and plan a wedding at the same time, and we?re going to school far from home, so that will be tough anyway. I?m thinking summer after second year. It will be tight with rotations starting, but perhaps I can delay a rotation or even take the whole year off to do research. Regardless, I want to set a date soon.

Hey folks,

We got married in May, and start school in 3 weeks! We are both very excited and nervous at the same time, but we have discussed and continue to discuss our plans and how we will handle school. I definitely think communication is the biggest key to success. If one or both of you are fustrated you have got to talk about it. Our biggest problem when I was studying for the MCATs was dividing housework as well. I was terrible about doing anything, and he pulled a lot of my weight but wasn't to thrilled about it. I will try and be more conscious (sp?) of it once med school starts, that and money thing are always issues in any relationship regardless if you are in school or not-- I think school just makes it a bit more challenging. As long as you commit yourself to your spouse FIRST (and school second) and you both work thru med school AS A TEAM then in the end it will all be ok and your relationship will be that much stronger for it.

FutureERDoc said:
As long as you commit yourself to your spouse FIRST (and school second) and you both work thru med school AS A TEAM then in the end it will all be ok and your relationship will be that much stronger for it.

That's what I figure now. I know that if I would have to be away from my wife for more than a year, I would leave my MD/PhD program, get my MD, and move to wherever she had to be.

Harsh isn't it? But, these are the sorts of sacrifices you need to be willing to make if you want to get married. If I was in a LD relationship, I'd be completely dysfunctional knowing that I was away from the woman I love.

I got married this past Saturday. He has to stay in San Diego to finish his Masters program, but he'll be able to move up with me in December. It's going to be really sad to be apart Fall quarter :( but I think it's for the best, since I'll be swamped with gross anatomy that quarter.

I got married right before M1 year (got married in May started in August) and I'm starting M3 year now. It hasn't been too bad but it helps to have other married friends to whine to when it gets close to exams. I keep at least 1 day per week for my husband (unless it's exam week, in which case he gets a couple of hours). It's really important to keep your spouse informed about what's going on (exams, level of stress, test scores). I know someone who didn't share her test grades with her husband and he didn't know she wasn't doing well at all.

I got married right before the start of my MS3 year (just celebrated our first anniversary!) My wife and I happened to start out in a long-distance relationship, so we had already experienced the "limited-time-with-each-other" thing...still, we knew from the stories floating around that this past year was going to be rough.

It takes hard work, like any marriage does. Keep doing all of the important things, big and small alike. As many have said before me, communicate. Schedule time with your partner just like you would for any other school obligation. I discovered pretty quickly that letting together-time fall where it may usually meant that it keeps getting pushed back further and further and...

One thing in particular which helped us ease the shock of suddenly being apart again during third-year... two-way text pagers! As a student, you're probably going to get a pager eventually anyway. Plus, cell phones are generally frowned upon in most places within a hospital (typically the places you will find yourself in :rolleyes: ). This neat little solution allowed my wife and I to "talk" anytime we wanted to, day or night...even if one of us was asleep, at work, in lecture, or whatever else.

Marriage is about unconditional love, communication and commitment. If you mean what you say when you take your vows, you can conquer anything. :)

Been married for 20 whole days now and I start med school Aug 9th. We've lived together for the last 4 years though so I don't see things being much different. We know it'll be stressful, and we know it'll be hard, but we also know that this is my dream. I think we'll be just fine :)
Good luck to you all!

My husband and I just celebrated our 1 year anniversary on the 13th. I am starting my second year August 9th and cannot imagine going to school without a husband!! My single friends have to cook for themselves and go grocery shopping alone and deal with other small things (that add up to big things) that I have support with. I think I am just lucky with my husband because he shares the duties with me 50/50. If I have a big test coming up and I need to study all weekend, he makes my meals and brings them to me in my office. Having someone to share the everyday little things makes med school that much more doable. We are planning on trying to get pregnant after I take my boards at the end of this upcoming year. With any luck I should be able to have my baby by the end of third year. There is no good time to have kids. As physicians we will never have an ideal amount of time, but I refuse to put my life on hold for school/residency/etc. Think about those people who work 3 jobs and still have kids. It is all about sacrificing for what you want!!

funkless said:
That's exactly my problem.

Of course, anyone who names their child "John Hopkins" deserves what they get.

--Funkless

Ah actually, it's Johns Hopkins ;) If they were named "Johns" not "John" that would spark my attention too

I have been engaged since October of 2003. Our marriage is planned for June 4, 2005.

I'm really not worried about how med school will affect things. I have been with this woman for longer than many people stay married. If we can survive all the crap we've been through, on top of my being "pre med" and her being in nursing school, we can survive med school.

The only thing that really bothers us right now is this limbo period in the application cycle. Not knowing where I will be a year from now makes planning a marriage a pain in the ass. If I don't get in, then I have to find a decent-paying job to support us until I do get in. Or do I jump over to Grenada and get it over with?

I kind of wish now I wasn't a psychology major. I really enjoyed learning what I did, but if I had though I would be stuck two years or more between graduation and med school I would have studied something a bit more marketable.

Hey there,

How are you faring so far?

I'm "spiritually" married to a first year med student. First week has been tough. We have had some mutual skepticism -- him fearing that I'll pull the plug on his dreams, me fearing that med school is more important than me. Deep down we know each other's hearts and trust each other, but we're human too, and that makes it scary. It's kind of cyclical -- when I reassure him I'm going to be with him and love him no matter what, and if I ever get to the point where I think I just can't go on, I'll wait until God gives me the resources I need, then he is able to let down his guard and really show me love, put me first etc, which in turn enables me to be supportive and make sacrifices out of love. I also think getting a life is really important, which I am working on since we just moved.

What are you learning so far?

I just got engaged and have absolutely no clue when we are going to get married. I guess I need to start planning...lol.

JKDMed said:
I have been engaged since October of 2003. Our marriage is planned for June 4, 2005.

I got married June 4th, this year. Nice date choice.

Well I've just joined the club of engaged persons. Anyone have experience planning a wedding in another city?

Cuteasaurus said:
Well I've just joined the club of engaged persons. Anyone have experience planning a wedding in another city?

Depends which city, I may have experience in the one your thinking of. :D

Congrats

engaged as a sophomore in college, jkd med? what are you LDS??

Been with my bf for 3.5 years (and thats just the official part)...

After I finished grad school, a lot of my friends and his asked if I was going to move to Indianapolis for the last 2 years of his school. Well, since he is returning to Cincinnati to start in his dad's dental practice, we decided it was best just for me to stay here and start working instead of uprooting twice.

I never thought he would propose until after he passed his Boards Part I (and we are still waiting to hear!!) so form now on... who knows, maybe he'll pop the question. But I know it probably won't be until this time next year...

I just want to get married within about 6 months of his graduation- get it all started already. :) We will have been dating 5 years by then. Especially since any time we have between grad and marriage he will have to live with his parents. Oh... what... fun.

Its nice to know thats what I can expect though- him coming back here.. and that its only 2 years away.

ArmCandy said:
Depends which city, I may have experience in the one your thinking of. :D

Congrats

Hehe, well it's not a city. I'm in Baltimore for school but am getting married back home in rural town, USA. I think I'll be pulling a lot of favors with ppl back home.

But seriously, I'm sure some ppl here have been in medical school in different places than where they were getting married, yes?

why do you need to get married mjtig? why not put that off -- just stay a committed partnership maybe 6-10 years, then marry? Why is 2-3 years some kind of cutoff?

Would you split with this guy if he is intractable on marriage for 5-10 years?

dont do it... dont get hitched... its not worth it... :thumbdown:

unless you both are like really good and honest towards each other... one of you will get burned.... badly...

something else to consider... in divorce court... if you got your license (or diploma in whatever) then you have to pay like half or more of it to your spouse... for ppl in hihgly paid professions like medicine... that could really screw you if you got married before you finished residency and then get divorced afterwards...

thewebthsp said:
why do you need to get married mjtig? why not put that off -- just stay a committed partnership maybe 6-10 years, then marry? Why is 2-3 years some kind of cutoff?

Would you split with this guy if he is intractable on marriage for 5-10 years?

If I gave the impression that I was biting my nails in frustration or was resentful or angry, I apologize. I meant to just chat about where we are right now... and my feelings about engagement are more of a "I wonder when" for the curiosity of it than "dear god what is he doing?".

I know he feels the same way- on getting married in 2006 or 2007. And the question of if he's intractable for 5-10 years is a moot point because we talk about it all the time. Its a question... no, let me rephrase... a curiousity.. of when in 2006 or 2007. He wants to get started as much as I.

I don't know if I would have been with him this long if he didn't want to get married for years and years in the future. We know what our time frame is, I am just having fun being curious about the details.

And btw, I have to be married in my values to have children. And I am not a fan of having children after age 35 due to all the risks.

MJTig said:
If I gave the impression that I was biting my nails in frustration or was resentful or angry, I apologize. I meant to just chat about where we are right now... and my feelings about engagement are more of a "I wonder when" for the curiosity of it than "dear god what is he doing?".

I know he feels the same way- on getting married in 2006 or 2007. And the question of if he's intractable for 5-10 years is a moot point because we talk about it all the time. Its a question... no, let me rephrase... a curiousity.. of when in 2006 or 2007. He wants to get started as much as I.

That's not a curiousity, that's a rigid plan!

MJTig said:
I don't know if I would have been with him this long if he didn't want to get married for years and years in the future. We know what our time frame is, I am just having fun being curious about the details.

And btw, I have to be married in my values to have children. And I am not a fan of having children after age 35 due to all the risks.

Well you're 22 now, so if you waited 10 years you would be 32, enough time to have 2-3 kids before 35. The risks are not that substantial until 39+. Ok a more focused question: would you dump him if he said no marriage for the forseeable future?

Um the "rigid" plan has been talked about mutually between us for a while now, through natural conversation. Mutually= him and me. Stop making it sound like I am some hen pecking away at my bf... I never ask about it, and if it comes up in conversation (usually by him)... we'll discuss it. And how is it rigid if its a general time frame following his graduation? if I was as unyielding and imptaient as you make me sound, i would not have been totally cool with being LD for 4 years and waiting until he is done with school to get married. I would have been bugging him for the last 4 years. :rolleyes:

And by the way, I am 26, not 22. And I think its our decision when we want to have children, and when to time it. He agrees with me on that, btw.

If he said no marriage for forseeable future, I would find out the reasons behind it, and if its just that he wants to play for years longer I may reconsider. I don't know. Would cross the bridge if we ever came to it. But seeing as though he, yes, he brings up "when we are married.." all the time... not going to be an issue. So why dwell on it.

Why is this so important to you? :confused:

i thought i wanted to be married before... now i dont even want to date... the women i have known have put such a bad taste in my mouth...

i think if gays and lesbians want to get married ... let them... let them go through all of the pain and agony like everyone else....

i like this old saying... men would be happy in a card board box if not for women... women want to get married and look cute... men want to have sex and joke around... when the two come together it gets more serious than either intended...

blah -- i dont care about your specific case. being 26 is also a little different from 22, i wrongly assumed 22, sorry about that.

In general i want discover why many females decide the early 20s is time to settle down and find their husband. It seems many women care about being married more than the person they're with.

I think 5-10 years is better to get married than 2-3 years... mainly because if you're still together that long it's likely you are deep friends already and marriage won't be a big deal. Thus less of a chance of being used by a marriage than being a partner in it.

Wow. :eek: I'm shocked by how negative folks here are about marriage. I'm married to an M1 and we both think marriage is the best thing to happen to us :love: :love:

Just wanted to add an opposite veiwpoint to the negativity on this thread!

- Dodo.

thewebthsp said:

Cool, and I actually agree with your comment on some people wanting the wedding and status more than the person. By the time we get married, B and I will be together 5 years officially, off and on before that 1.5 years, known each other before that 1 year= 7.5 years! LOL.

thewebthsp said:
blah -- i dont care about your specific case. being 26 is also a little different from 22, i wrongly assumed 22, sorry about that.

In general i want discover why many females decide the early 20s is time to settle down and find their husband. It seems many women care about being married more than the person they're with.

Well, I can't speak for all women in my situation, and in my experience most women DON'T see the early 20's as the time to settle down and get married (maybe it's regional, but here in NYC very few of my friends/classmates are married or engaged). Speaking for myself, though...I met and fell in love with my husband when we were both freshmen in college. We knew right away that we were right for each other and wanted to be together. The chemistry was strong and we fell quickly. Over the next three years, we dated and fell more deeply in love. We spent a ton of time together, got to know each other inside and out, and became best friends. During our senior year, we got engaged (and no, I didn't twist his arm...he surprised me by proposing). We started med school together the next year, and this summer, between MS1 and MS2, we got married. My husband is my true love and I knew him VERY WELL (having dated for nearly five years and lived together for one) before we got married. I didn't get married for the sake of getting married...I got married because I love my husband and he's the one for me, and I've known that for a long time. Maybe some women are more interested in marriage in general than they are in the man in particular...but I think most people who marry young do it because they're in love and they've found the person they want to spend their life with. That was certainly the case for us, and if my husband had wanted to wait a few more years to get married that would've been okay with me.

I think 5-10 years is better to get married than 2-3 years... mainly because if you're still together that long it's likely you are deep friends already and marriage won't be a big deal. Thus less of a chance of being used by a marriage than being a partner in it.

Well...aside from the comment about being used, which strikes me as overly suspicious...I kind of agree, at least if you're young at the time you meet the person. My husband and I had been together for almost five years when we tied the knot, and I think that was good for us, as we were 18 and 19 when we met. When you're that young, there's no reason to rush things. If you're older (say, in your twenties) when you meet, then I think there's nothing wrong with a shorter timeframe. Still, I wonder about people who get married after being together for less than 2-3 years...I think it takes at least two years for the infatuation to wear off and for you to get to really know the other person. I can see how it may be different if you're already in your thirties, have a lot of experience with different relationships, and are sure of what you want...and some marriages following brief courtships do work out...but in general, I think it's best to date for at least two years before marriage. On the other hand, unless you are both very young when you get together or there are other extenuating circumstances such as long-distance, dating for more than 5-6 years strikes me as excessive and indicating a fear of commitment. If you meet someone in your mid-twenties, why would you need to date them for more than five or six years before marrying them? Unless you're afraid of marriage in general or not sure this is the person you want to marry. At a certain point, you either want to be with this person or you don't, and I don't think it usually takes ten years to figure that out.

By the way...I hope I haven't offended anyone who either got married quickly or took a long time...every situation is unique and I'm sure there are circumstances when that makes sense and is the right decision.

jennie 21 said:
On the other hand, unless you are both very young when you get together or there are other extenuating circumstances such as long-distance, dating for more than 5-6 years strikes me as excessive and indicating a fear of commitment. If you meet someone in your mid-twenties, why would you need to date them for more than five or six years before marrying them? Unless you're afraid of marriage in general or not sure this is the person you want to marry. At a certain point, you either want to be with this person or you don't, and I don't think it usually takes ten years to figure that out.

Thank you. That is what passed through my mind.

jennie 21 said:
Well...aside from the comment about being used, which strikes me as overly suspicious...

Why is it overly suspicious? Many marriages turn out like that. There should be a track record that it is truly a partnership. That takes more than a couple years, in my view.

jennie 21 said:
I kind of agree, at least if you're young at the time you meet the person. My husband and I had been together for almost five years when we tied the knot, and I think that was good for us, as we were 18 and 19 when we met. When you're that young, there's no reason to rush things. If you're older (say, in your twenties) when you meet, then I think there's nothing wrong with a shorter timeframe. Still, I wonder about people who get married after being together for less than 2-3 years...I think it takes at least two years for the infatuation to wear off and for you to get to really know the other person. I can see how it may be different if you're already in your thirties, have a lot of experience with different relationships, and are sure of what you want...and some marriages following brief courtships do work out...but in general, I think it's best to date for at least two years before marriage....

I think that you're free to do what you do, but 2-4 years in my teens/early twenties is insufficient for me to know that I would want to spend 30-50+ years with someone else. Unless you're looking for open marriage. Women in their late 20s (26+) and men in their mid 30s are a better judge of when to marry because they've at least had some time to live as adults.

jennie 21 said:
On the other hand, unless you are both very young when you get together or there are other extenuating circumstances such as long-distance, dating for more than 5-6 years strikes me as excessive and indicating a fear of commitment.

Aha. This is exactly the reason I _wouldn't_ marry for a while. You effectively say "IF more than five to six years THEN you have a pathology (a fear of commitment)" This is equivalent to saying "If you are "normal" (not abnormal, not having a pathology), you must get married within 5 to 6 years of dating someone"

THIS IS EXACTLY MY POINT. Rather than basing the decision to marry or not on the person, or the typical situation, you've created a framework, a formula of how a man should interact with any general woman. If I had stuck it out with a woman over seven years (and remember the infatuation lasts 4 years usually), to the point where we were deep friends, and almost business partners in a sense, then marriage would be more of a legal formality, meaning little other than a more "legitimate" way of raising children. On the other hand marrying someone who was "just right for me" after 3 years of a relationship in college is insanity. I'd have no problem having a committed (heterosexual) domestic partner for a long while, but I would not get married for quite a while also. If you want to call this situation "common law marriage" that's fine, but there's a much higher grade of difficulty unless it is truly a partnership.

jennie 21 said:
If you meet someone in your mid-twenties, why would you need to date them for more than five or six years before marrying them? Unless you're afraid of marriage in general or not sure this is the person you want to marry. At a certain point, you either want to be with this person or you don't, and I don't think it usually takes ten years to figure that out.

Right-- again, marry or breakup! I want to make sure the woman I end up with does NOT espouse this view. I see nothing wrong with having a childless domestic partnership for a while. I may want to be with this person -- I just don;t want to be married to her in such a short period of time!! In your formula, the woman should break up with me for believing in such an idea. I also think a dom. partnership should be seen as an interim step towards marriage, and thus also I believe in giving homosexual couples the same track as heterosexual couples in the secular system.

Here's an important exception, and one for me might be valid. In the case of very religious people, marriage means something different from the generic american definition. Very religious people tend to live their life on a more duty-filled model than an individual one. Because our society emphasizes individual happiness as being the most important, the idea of fidelity, sacrifice, delayed gratification, and a more communal sense of growth is overshadowed by more immediate desires.

In other words, if I were marrying someone very religious (or at least more duty oriented than selfish oriented) of my own faith, I'd be more inclined to marry earlier. Sacrifice btw goes both ways, man and woman, so be clear I don't mean to say the wife should sacrifice for the man.