Getting married 2 days before residency?

Squeakattack

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there. So I am finishing my 4th year of med school and am planning on getting married in mid-June. We already booked the place and photographer, but now I'm realizing that residency programs start the day after the wedding, if not the week before. In addition to graduating, moving, and starting a residency program it seems like getting married will be more stress-provoking than anything else.

Do programs ever let you miss the first day or two of orientation? I'm considering rescheduling it all but I don't really want to...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there. So I am finishing my 4th year of med school and am planning on getting married in mid-June. We already booked the place and photographer, but now I'm realizing that residency programs start the day after the wedding, if not the week before. In addition to graduating, moving, and starting a residency program it seems like getting married will be more stress-provoking than anything else.

Do programs ever let you miss the first day or two of orientation? I'm considering rescheduling it all but I don't really want to...

Thanks!

I wouldn't count on your program letting you miss the first few days of orientation....

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would absolutely reschedule

Reactions: 1 users
Orientation isn't the kind of thing you miss. Confirm the program's dates and then reschedule the wedding

Reactions: 2 users
You really should try to avoid overlapping your wedding with orientation. He cannot "miss" orientation days -- if he is not there, he can't start. We (and most programs, I expect) run an orientation in July for new fellows, and we have interns that miss orientation do that instead. But then you miss the specific intern orientation events, and he ends up being off cycle which can be a problem when applying for fellowships.

It can be done. My wedding was on the 23rd (a sat) in canada. They (us residency) started day 1 for the interns on sunday the 24th (which seemed weird to me but anyway).

I attended all of orientation including computer stuff/acls/shadowing but missed the last 2 days of shadowing stuff so i could fly back home and well, get married. I emailed my program as soon as i matched to explain the situation as there was no way i could move the wedding date since it had been booked a year in advance and had international relatives flying (big indian wedding). I had picked the date because i had assumed the official start date would be july first (as it was in all canadian programs ) not in June.

My chief resident and PD were cool about it. They even let me take an electivr for block 1 (it was a short 3 week block) so i used my first week as vacation and even went on a honemoon to the bahamas (we are only allowed to take vacation during elective blocks)

To be fair, even though im a canadian grad, i was grouped with the rest of the IMGs, and all of the IMGs in my residency got easy blocks for block1 to give time to get stuff in order (drivers license, car, bank account etc)

If its possible to move your date earlier, then do so it will be less stress especially when starting out. If not, be upfront with the program and see. Im sure they can reschedule ONE day of orientatiom for you even if you came in earlier to do so.

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user