Engineer changing to Med School track... is it worthwhile?..HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
you are nice,,, why dont you private message me? are you single?

and i promise not to be negative

JOhan

There goes her happiness.

Members don't see this ad.

I see a medical school funding strategy developing above (which would remove one or perhaps more of the gripes that people have with going into medicine such as $$ for school and isolation / lack of certain kinds of personal fulfillment):

Choose how you would like to pay for your medical education:

(a) Out of pocket cash or cash from parents
(b) Loans and scholarships
(c) Marry a beautiful / handsome physician or other gainfully employed person and have them pay for it (also requires talking, intimacy, and love)
(d) Both (a) and (b)
(e) All (a), (b), and (c)

Members don't see this ad :)
I see a medical school funding strategy developing:

Choose how you would like to pay for your medical education:

(a) Out of pocket cash or cash from parents
(b) Loans and scholarships
(c) Marry a beautiful / handsome physician or other gainfully employed person and have them pay for it (also requires talking, intimacy, and love)(d) Both (a) and (b)
(e) All (a), (b), and (c)

:laugh:
That was in one of my original strategies, only 'beautiful' was not a requirement.

:laugh:
That was in one of my original strategies, only 'beautiful' was not a requirement.

If medical school cost keeps going up, financial aid offices are going have to start another kind of "match" to enable their students to pay their bills.

Let's see Tommy. Now that we have you loaded up on loans and a few scholarships, why don't you take a look at our catalogue here, starting with "A" for accountants. Samatha is a lovely young women that I strongly encourage you not to pass over. She's 35, had some bad luck in previous relationships, but swears that the third time will be a charm....

Damn, does that line work for you? I'm gonna use this at the bar all the time now!!!

she has not messaged me yet.. Im betting that she has not logged on yet.. I hope she does message me..

I'm new to the forums (I've got some questions I'll post in another thread), but I'm another engineer who is contemplating medical school.

A year ago I was gung-ho on going to law school, anybody else here consider that as well? I eventually gave up on it because I realized the only reason I was interested was for the money. I'm a little surprised, because the general attitude about being a lawyer, from the forums I was reading, was similar to what people are talking about here. In law you start out, at least for big-law type firms, in a similar fashion to a resident (not as bad, but still). You work 70-100 hours a week, the people above you are fairly vicious, but on the upside - at least you're making $150k/year and can expect to get $10k/year raises for at least 5-7 years.

So if all you guys want to do is make a lot of money, become a lawyer! Sure it means you sell your soul, kinda, and the depression rates are similar to the stuff posted on here for doctors, but if all you care about is money, 3 years of law school is a lot easier path.

Not to mention, you get *scholarships* to law schools - even the top 10 schools give out a fair amount of full ride scholarships, so you don't even have any debt!! And it's way less competitive to get into law school, the only time it's at all difficult is for the top 3 schools (Harvard/Yale/Stanford), after that it's all about a 3.8+ GPA and a 170+ LSAT.

That being said, I couldn't be happier that I am not going to law school - it'd be worse job satisfaction than engineering (which I'm not enjoying), the only benefit is money.

Great thread, I know a ER resident right now, and it certainly sounds brutal. I think as long as you're prepared for what's ahead and know what to expect, you can survive. All the ideal jobs that a upper-middle class parent wants for his kid (investment bankers, lawyers, doctors) seem to have different "weed-out" sessions, doctors seem to be the worst though (and the worst paid).