Engineer to doctor, worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

namllus13

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am 28 years old. Working as a mechanical engineer at a decent company in Ohio. I make 85K and get 3 weeks of vacation, etc. Im single.

I have lately become tired of the engineering world. The work I do is not too bad. However, I believe I have reached my career peak unless I move into management. I look at the senior engineers here and cant see myself doing this for the rest of my life. Accordingly, you never know when engineers can get laid off. Especially when you start making real money. Our jobs rely on the economy and the mercy of corporate decision making.

I have always been allured with the thought of medical school and becoming a doctor. Not entirely for the whole “helping others” aspect. More for the financial rewards, career flexibility. Doctors will never have to worry about being laid off and make enough money to live a great lifestyle.

I would have to take my pre reqs and take Mcat. Get into medschool at around 31. Graduated at 35. Finish residency at 39.

I know some of you will think Im being an dingus and 85K is a great salary. Attending’s of sdn….would it be worth it to make the switch at this point?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nope. Not at all. And economically it is probably a bad decision for you. Make a spreadsheet and see the difference in your lifetime earnings and what you would ahve to make as a doc to make what you would right now.

Reactions: 6 users
No way Jose.

The time, cost of attendance, the 80 hour workweek in residency, and the paperwork you have to slog through is just not worth it if your heart is not into it. Plus, it might take you multiple cycles to get in.

If I was you, I would try to find alternative ways to use my engineering degree, like as a consultant or freelancer, to spice things up.

Now, dentistry tho. That program is only 4 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I am 28 years old. Working as a mechanical engineer at a decent company in Ohio. I make 85K and get 3 weeks of vacation, etc. Im single.

I have lately become tired of the engineering world. The work I do is not too bad. However, I believe I have reached my career peak unless I move into management. I look at the senior engineers here and cant see myself doing this for the rest of my life. Accordingly, you never know when engineers can get laid off. Especially when you start making real money. Our jobs rely on the economy and the mercy of corporate decision making.

I have always been allured with the thought of medical school and becoming a doctor. Not entirely for the whole “helping others” aspect. More for the financial rewards, career flexibility. Doctors will never have to worry about being laid off and make enough money to live a great lifestyle.

I would have to take my pre reqs and take Mcat. Get into medschool at around 31. Graduated at 35. Finish residency at 39.

I know some of you will think Im being an dingus and 85K is a great salary. Attending’s of reddit….would it be worth it to make the switch at this point?

I am in a similar situation as you are. Although I am younger than you, I got into engineering and software development professionally at a young age, have about 8 years of experience, and currently work in a great field.

I have been accepted and will be attending medical school in the fall. The reason I choose medicine wasn't for money, lifestyle, or career options. I love working with people and helping them. I also am fascinated by the human body and enjoy learning about it.

My advice for you is that medicine isn't for everyone but if it’s for you, you will know it. I would suggest volunteering at a hospital to see how you like the environment. The idea of medicine is alluring but there is a lot of crap that goes along with medicine (literally and figuratively). Although volunteering can be menial and boring, I loved the experience and think it would be a good way to see if medicine is something you would want to pursue in the future. So in short go volunteer at your local free clinic or hospital and then in a couple months hopefully you will have a clearer picture.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello,

I know some of you will think Im being an dingus and 85K is a great salary. Attending’s of sdn….would it be worth it to make the switch at this point?

Absolutely not. First of all, I think you're underpaid making only 85k as an engineer with what I assume is ~5 years of experience in the field. Maybe look for better paying jobs. Even bumping your paycheck up to 100k a year is a lot of extra money and I think a lot of engineers can get up to 125k, but that probably depends on the area and job.

You'll have to work longer and harder in medicine for a larger pay check and still have to pay off all the debt associated with school. Then factor in higher taxes and all the years of lost income. Yes after 10-15 years of practicing you may break even and then pull ahead, but by then you're 50 and stuck in a job that really sucks, unless you really like patients or the science, which it seems like you don't.

As for the suggestion of dental school, don't do it. That would probably be even worse financially. Higher debt and far lower salaries. I've heard starting dental is 120-150 and you'd be coming out with 2-3 times that in debt.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a slightly older non traditional in your position. I am going to do it not necessarily because it is the best financial decision, rather because I want to. Regret minimization is important to me. But it seems like you just want the paycheck and security. It's a though road just for that , plus what if you hate medicine at the end of the road ?

Reactions: 3 users
For the same amount of work you would put into going to medical school and getting a good residency so you could get the big bucks, you could diversify your income stream and work on career growth/changes. You could retire at 39 instead of just starting another 80hr/wk job. And then you could do whatever else you wanted...

For the same amount of work you would put into going to medical school and getting a good residency so you could get the big bucks, you could diversify your income stream and work on career growth/changes. You could retire at 39 instead of just starting another 80hr/wk job. And then you could do whatever else you wanted...
None of that is a sure thing. OP could also get laid off and have difficult time finding another job.

None of that is a sure thing. OP could also get laid off and have difficult time finding another job.
And getting into med school and doing well enough for the type of salary he is looking for isn't a sure thing either.

And getting into med school and doing well enough for the type of salary he is looking for isn't a sure thing either.
Sure but the uncertainty post acceptance is not as high. Making 200+k consistently is no easy task in any field. There are examples outside of medicine but those suffer from attrition bias since of the number of people hustling a few end up making it.

Not at all.

Law school seems like a better choice. They would love you in patent law with an engineering background.

For money and lifestyle by time your choice of entering medicine would pay off you'll be nearing 50. That's if everything works out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't tell anyone, let alone someone who won't get in until they're 30, to go into medicine solely for the financial aspect. The time and financial commitments required to get to the 6 figure salary (minimum 7 years after med school acceptance and likely $250+ in expenses) along with the workload once you're an attending isn't worth it for purely financial reasons.

If you can get your prereqs done while making that 85k/year, I think it's worth it...

I made the decision to go to med school as RN while I was making ~45k/year working 24 hrs/week and I have not regretted it so far (MS3). I also hated my job duties as a RN, so it was an easy decision for me.

Reactions: 2 users
No. That's an awful decision. You'd absolutely regret it.

I am older, an engineer, make more money and I still decided to transition. Everyone has their reasons for doing something and contrary to the commonly extreme altruistic motivations some people have in the world and on SDN, your reasons are not at all an incorrect motivation to pursue medicine. Though, it may be better to keep those reasons to yourself and describe other reasons that motivate you. Keep in mind that if you aren't doing something you can enjoy, you may just be signing up for more time running on the hamster wheel.

Reactions: 5 users
Well -- I don't think you're a dingus -- to reach that exalted position, you have to pull a Tiger Woods and be married to a model-beautiful wife making millions of dollars a year playing a freakin' game and then decide to blow it with a skank in a motel room AND record the event on your cell phone -- that's a real dingus --
No, I think you're a reasonable, forward thinking young man who recognizes the end-game of his current profession. I was 39 when I was laid off after 17 years of electrical engineering -- my career consisted of writing a ton of code for defense and telecomm -- I wound up training the 3 guys that took my job to India at NORTEL, went to INET doing software configuration management and got laid off after 2 years. 6 months later, my job was posted at half of my salary wanting people with the same level of experience. Being an engineer, you are at the mercy of whatever corporate bean counter decides who to keep and who to let go -- trust me on this, there's always a rank list of your group and when the corporation decides to lay off 10%, the bottom 10% go --- you're always watched and it's a political game also. Now, unless you're willing to open up your own shop, it'll get worse as you get older.
Now, I went to med school at 42 and was done with residency by the time I turned 50 (late birthday). I didn't come from a name university but got my undergrad from DeVry and did my prereqs at community colleges. Got a 25P on the MCAT. It was a God thing and I got into my first choice of medical schools. The reason I struggled was I had it in my head that 1) medicine was hard 2) I had to know EVERYTHING 3) I didn't belong in this career due to my family background 4) Other people in class were smarter than I was 5) there was some "magic" study method that other people had and I needed to use that method and I would be successful --- So, to start with, resolve those types of issues now -- I can say with some authority now that if you can walk and chew gum on a level surface with a mild headwind, you can do medical school quite easily. The material is NOT hard, there's just a lot of it and a lot of important details. Also recognize most of the "professors" are researchers or practicing clinicians who have no idea how to really teach anyone. You will teach yourself and the key is figuring out what's important to retain and what you'll be tested over -- there's ways to do that.
As far as a nice career -- yes, you will be making a decent amount of money, no matter what specialty you wind up in --- don't let the neurotic 22 year olds who want to believe they know what's up fool you --- as a physican, you'll be fine financially. The real difference is the ability to decide your own financial fate once you're out of residency. Never again will your family's ability to eat be determined by some faceless beancounter. If you have to, you can see patients in your garage for cash on the barrelhead.
At 28, single, and burned out on engineering, I'd be jumping at the idea of going to med school -- go back and get your prereqs from a 4 year university, do well, take out the loans you need (screw that working while taking night classes garbage, you need to do well in prereqs) and then get after the MCAT. Use the health professions advising to get your letters, volunteer hours and help keep you on track.
Let me know if I can help. I WISH I had done this in your position -- heck, I'd be an ortho surgeon (or trauma surgeon) right now with 15 years of practice behind me --

Reactions: 6 users
I'm older than you ~40 and in the same situation. In fact, my last day as an engineer is Friday then I'll be working toward my undergrad full-time. However, my motivations for going becoming a doctor are the complete opposite - I don't care about the money and I plan to work until I die.

As others have said, law is a better career field if you're just interested in an early retirement - especially corporate law.

52682644.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
As a former engineer, I'd suggest shadowing first before pulling the trigger but yea there's been some good advice given so far in this thread.

I'm older than you ~40 and in the same situation. In fact, my last day as an engineer is Friday then I'll be working toward my undergrad full-time. However, my motivations for going becoming a doctor are the complete opposite - I don't care about the money and I plan to work until I die.

As others have said, law is a better career field if you're just interested in an early retirement - especially corporate law.

As a few of my medical school colleagues who are former attorneys have mentioned -- there is a plethora of lawyers available and more than a few who are working for $50K/year, not using their law degree and glad to have the work.

Reactions: 2 users
Sure but the uncertainty post acceptance is not as high. Making 200+k consistently is no easy task in any field. There are examples outside of medicine but those suffer from attrition bias since of the number of people hustling a few end up making it.

Yes, but that 200k comes after a significant cost that would likely not be overcome until the OP were at least traditional retirement age or older. It would also likely come at a significant health, emotional and time cost as well. There are better ways for a current engineer with acceptable salary to have a better return on investment.

I WISH I had done this in your position -- heck, I'd be an ortho surgeon (or trauma surgeon) right now with 15 years of practice behind me --

Hey Bill! I freaking love your story! Good luck with the ortho route! If I may ask, what's the age of retirement for orthos? You started Medical School in your 40's, and I wonder if age could prevent you from practicing further -- because don't ortho surgeons need very steady hands which could be affected by age? I don't have much understanding about orthos.

do it, especially if you're in there for the money you can do a lot as a physician WITH your engineering background + experience. That's a powerful combination. Im sure you have some savings, go for it.

If you were to go into medicine the way you are talking now by the time you get done with residency you'd be right back where you are now. You'd be burned out and grasping at other options.

Read books by Atul Gawande for an "insider" perspective as a surgeon. Also books by Danielle Ofri, a wonderful writer and general internal medicine doc.

No matter what you do, you do it until you retire.

Hey Bill! I freaking love your story! Good luck with the ortho route! If I may ask, what's the age of retirement for orthos? You started Medical School in your 40's, and I wonder if age could prevent you from practicing further -- because don't ortho surgeons need very steady hands which could be affected by age? I don't have much understanding about orthos.
Umm, no offense, but read the sentence very closely.....key phrase, I wish I had.....

Hi, I am turning 29 this year, a mechanical engineer and works as a design engineer. Glad to read that there are same situations as mine. I also have plans to study medicine. Though sometimes the desire flickers, I decided to take NMAT (maybe similar with MCAT) this year. If I can make it( I hope and pray)then most likely I will follow my dream. Hopefully, after I completed my contract with my company next year, I can start med school. I already informed my family about this so that they can support me morally, emotionally, spiritually and financially. I am still curious what transition I will go through once I step in and start med school having an engineering as my undergrad and work almost 8 years. But I am holding to some positive thoughts to boost my confidence that my father is a nurse and my mother is a dentist so I am relying in my genes, medicine needs hardwork so I need tons of hardwork in studying and undertanding and trust to the Almighty.

Last edited:
Hi, I am turning 29 this year, a mechanical engineer and works as a design engineer.

So I'm assuming that your're doing reasonably well. At this point from a financial point of view going to medical school may be a wash, especially if you are going to a higher cost of attendance school.

Though sometimes the desire flickers

This is normal, although keep an eye on that feeling. If/when it starts to feel like a total slog you may be tempted to bounce back to engineering and there's nothing wrong with doing so early on.

I already informed my family about this so that they can support me morally, emotionally, spiritually and financially.

This bodes well that you have a support system. The process is draining both emotionally and financially.

I am still curious what transition I will go through once I step in and start med school having an engineering as my undergrad and work almost 8 years.

Be prepared for a huge reduction in lifestyle, and free time. This will be the hardest part for you, especially if you feel reasonably comfortable where you are at.

Before you decide to quit your job, I'd at least take some time to shadow a few physicians and maybe volunteer a bit to see if it's something you are really interested in or if you just like the idea of being a doctor. If you really want to be a doctor because you (1) hate your job AND (2) are genuinely interested in it then I'd say go for it. But keep in mind engineering is a great job; if you are just interested in medicine for the increase in pay/security/prestige/whatever I'd just stay where you were at if it were me.

Hello,

Become a medical scribe, and then you get a real inside view of medicine. From the way you post things, sounds like you just want a cash cow with an easy flexible schedule. Not in medicine.

So I'm assuming that your're doing reasonably well. At this point from a financial point of view going to medical school may be a wash, especially if you are going to a higher cost of attendance school.

This is normal, although keep an eye on that feeling. If/when it starts to feel like a total slog you may be tempted to bounce back to engineering and there's nothing wrong with doing so early on.

This bodes well that you have a support system. The process is draining both emotionally and financially.

Be prepared for a huge reduction in lifestyle, and free time. This will be the hardest part for you, especially if you feel reasonably comfortable where you are at.

Before you decide to quit your job, I'd at least take some time to shadow a few physicians and maybe volunteer a bit to see if it's something you are really interested in or if you just like the idea of being a doctor. If you really want to be a doctor because you (1) hate your job AND (2) are genuinely interested in it then I'd say go for it. But keep in mind engineering is a great job; if you are just interested in medicine for the increase in pay/security/prestige/whatever I'd just stay where you were at if it were me.
Thank u for your comments. I am still working as a design engineer. Hopefully, next year I can start in med school.

As a former engineer, I'd suggest shadowing first before pulling the trigger but yea there's been some good advice given so far in this thread.
Hello, I work for more than 7 yrs as an Engineer and currently a 1st yr med student. Can you give me pieces of advice or tips on how did you do a smooth transition.
Do you have classmates in med school who has an engineering background. How are they in the class?
I would be glad if you can reply.