English prerequisite for Dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dut99002

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, most dental schools require English credits (6 or so). I realize that every adcom at the various schools may have different takes on this, but what kind of rules do they have generally about what counts as an English class/credit? I ask because I took 3 credits of advanced English in my undergrad, but also got 6 credits of with a 'passing' grade awarded because of AP English. I also took 3 credits of Journalism (a writing intensive course). Any ideas on whether or not they'll accept my AP credit or journalism class? My guess is no. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

As I understand it, most dental schools require English credits (6 or so). I realize that every adcom at the various schools may have different takes on this, but what kind of rules do they have generally about what counts as an English class/credit? I ask because I took 3 credits of advanced English in my undergrad, but also got 6 credits of with a 'passing' grade awarded because of AP English. I also took 3 credits of Journalism (a writing intensive course). Any ideas on whether or not they'll accept my AP credit or journalism class? My guess is no. Thanks!

Ap credit generally counts. Some schools (about half of the schools i interviewed at) will take writing intensive courses as well. Otherwise, it needs to be through the english department (like it's gotta say ENG or something on your transcript)

Most schools I contacted...said Lit or Composition under English department...
Or else they will not negotiate... I think this is pretty strict...

Beaware...take some english classes...

Members don't see this ad :)
I wrote 117 page thesis on the repatriation of art and artifacts (boring, I know) as an undergrad but because that class was under the art department I made sure to take 2 random english classes just in case.

I think school were strict about the english requirement..
I also took one literature class that was intensive, but was not under english department so I had to take another literature under English department...

If you have an AP English credit, it will most likely count. At least Penn said that as long as it shows up as credit on your college transcript, it will count for credit.

Writing intensive classes will count in most schools but I've had a problem with Columbia on this issue. But they at least took my English AP instead, so I'm set. But most schools are pretty good about looking into your class as long as you can provide a school URL link describing your school's writing requirement.

for Columbia requirement..?
I might take english composition next semester...

I took a English writing class for 3 credits, and had the AP English count for the other 3. Would've used my writing intensive history class (which fulfills the writing for all other schools, but apparently it doesn't count).

The only school that gave me a problem was UMD. I tested out of Eng101 because of my SAT and enter. exam score. They put me in advanced writing Eng201. UMD said that I HAD TO HAVE 6 credits... I suppose they want me to take Eng101... I'm not about to do that. Maybe if I did, I would stop using the dreaded "..."

I know this is an older thread... but I have a lingering question...

My pre-health advisor said that our (liberal art) school's Freshman/Sophomore Seminars count as English credits. We have to take a 2-course sequence of the FS classes (8 credits.. ugh) our freshman year, and the second one I took was not only with an English professor, but it was labeled Writing Intensive. Advisor says this always counts with med schools, but I'm worried that since pre-dents are a little more rare at my school... she might not know what she's talking about.

Any advice?

I know this is an older thread... but I have a lingering question...

My pre-health advisor said that our (liberal art) school's Freshman/Sophomore Seminars count as English credits. We have to take a 2-course sequence of the FS classes (8 credits.. ugh) our freshman year, and the second one I took was not only with an English professor, but it was labeled Writing Intensive. Advisor says this always counts with med schools, but I'm worried that since pre-dents are a little more rare at my school... she might not know what she's talking about.

Any advice?

P.S. I have already taken one English class... the FS sequence would count as the 2nd English class.... help!