English requirement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LB4Life

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What constitutes an "english" course? General "english" is a bit vague...

Writing?
Linguistics?
Reading?

Members don't see this ad.

I used English Composition 1 & 2 for my requirements.

I used english comp 1 and literature.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't your undergrad institution require a certain amount of English? Mine requires Engl I & II (which are composition) and an Engl Lit course. I'm sure any combination of them work, as long as it is listed as Engl (or similar) in the course description. Any doubts, ask the specific school. They just want to make sure you can communicate as an adult.

Agree with all. Usually the requirements are: English Comp I and II, and a literature requirement depending on your school and degree.

But those mentioned should be okay.

My university only had one semester of writing composition followed by two semesters of "intellectual heritage" which is kind of like literature with a prettier name. When applying I wrote all three courses just in case.

we dont have any type of english requirement. i dont know how other liberal arts colleges roll though.

Does an English course have to be under the English department? I took a course under the honors college at my university where we read, discussed, and wrote papers on fiction and nonfiction work. It is listed as writing course, but not under the English department. Would it count or not?

Also, I'm assuming AP credit for English Comp. and English lit. wouldn't count, right?

Thanks.

Does an English course have to be under the English department? I took a course under the honors college at my university where we read, discussed, and wrote papers on fiction and nonfiction work. It is listed as writing course, but not under the English department. Would it count or not?

Also, I'm assuming AP credit for English Comp. and English lit. wouldn't count, right?

Thanks.

My class (Grimms Fairy Tales haha) is under English, and 2 other names too. But it counts as a comp II requirement, so it should work. AP credit is credit. You only need hours/credit, so I would think it would work, but I would call the school(s) to be sure.

Thanks.

i had a similar class and it counted