English=second language. Does it make a big difference on the PCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MuscleCrunch

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone of you took the PCAT, and english is your second language. How did you do on your english, reading, and writing part of the exam? How did you study for those?
I personally am not worried about the science part of the exam, but the english part is what I'm concerned about. I tried to go over some analogies, and I honestly have to say that more than a half of the words they used I did not know. Do you have any tips that would help me study for it? A good vocabulary book perhaps?

Members don't see this ad.

English is my second language, and my reading, verbal and writing scores were soo much lower than my chem, bio and quantative scores. I got 62th percentile in verbal, 77th in reading and 2 in writing. Compare that with 97th in chem, 95 in bio and 89 in verbal. I am really worried that my verbal, reading and writing scores will hurt me in the admission process.

I did worse than you, writing 1 (which I don't get it, I had no idea why it's this low, maybe my handwritting just through them off). I am thinking to take it again in Jan or June.

My is worst, my verbal 22% , reading 56%

overall 85% and I am not planning taking it again.

Members don't see this ad :)
i guess it did....

look at my scores (just got it)

verbal: 403 56%
biol: 443 95%
reading: 413 70%
math: 468 99%
chem: 522 99%
composite: 450 99%

writing: 2

my bad english (second language) definitely explains the difference...

Hi, I was wondering if anyone of you took the PCAT, and english is your second language. How did you do on your english, reading, and writing part of the exam? How did you study for those?
I personally am not worried about the science part of the exam, but the english part is what I'm concerned about. I tried to go over some analogies, and I honestly have to say that more than a half of the words they used I did not know. Do you have any tips that would help me study for it? A good vocabulary book perhaps?

Got 36 on verbal and now I'm P-2. As long as you do fine on chem. and stuff you'll be fine.

Hi,
I took the Oct.11 PCAT, and didn't do well in verbal and reading too.
Verbal 406 62%
Biology 437 92%
Reading 418 77%
Math 468 99%
Chem 459 98%
Composite 438 96%

I reviewed GRE words and reading but there were still some words I didn't know.

BTW, KonKan, I just get an interview offer from Wayne State U. :) Do you have any information to share? Thanks a lot!

i guess it did....

look at my scores (just got it)

verbal: 403 56%
biol: 443 95%
reading: 413 70%
math: 468 99%
chem: 522 99%
composite: 450 99%

writing: 2

my bad english (second language) definitely explains the difference...

You did really well. I'm glad that with a 56 in verbal and 70 in reading you can still get 99% composite!!! Congratulations.

Hi,
I took the Oct.11 PCAT, and didn't do well in verbal and reading too.
Verbal 406 62%
Biology 437 92%
Reading 418 77%
Math 468 99%
Chem 459 98%
Composite 438 96%

I reviewed GRE words and reading but there were still some words I didn't know.

BTW, KonKan, I just get an interview offer from Wayne State U. :) Do you have any information to share? Thanks a lot!

What information do you need? When I was applying, they were not doing interviews. Probably that's the reason why I got accepted:D Although I remember one professor mentioned the other day, that during interviews they were trying to find out do they (read staff) and the applicants have the same vision about the practice of pharmacy now and where it is going. In other words, BS like "I want to help people" doesn't work for them.

What information do you need? When I was applying, they were not doing interviews. Probably that's the reason why I got accepted:D Although I remember one professor mentioned the other day, that during interviews they were trying to find out do they (read staff) and the applicants have the same vision about the practice of pharmacy now and where it is going. In other words, BS like "I want to help people" doesn't work for them.

Hi, Thanks for your quick response. I would like to know the type of questions they may ask and the format of the interview. Also, do you think there is anything important I should know about the Pharmacy college or Pharm.D. program at the Wayne State U? Thanks a lot! :thumbup:

I can say that with personal experience that if English is your second language, you will do worst on the reading comprehension and verbal section of the PCAT...My worst was verbal but surprisingly my reading comp was the best...I think its prolly because the topics were kinda interesting when I took the test in october...

for me analogies are always so much difficult b/c of the vocab...........I have no clue what to do :-(

For reading, try reading Times or Science magazine.
It helped me alot.

They usually have interesting articles and are similar to the pcat practice readings I've been doing.

I haven't taken the real test yet.

I see some similar trends in this thread. English is also a second language to me.

Verbal: 72
Bio:95
Reading:49
Quant:99
Chem:97
Composite:98

Writing:2

I didn't study reading at all, and it really showed. I studied on verbal the most, but 72 was all I got. I studied with the GRE word books.

Although I want to take it again for the reading score, I am not sure if I'd be able to get a similar composite score if I do.

If English is not your native language, and you have been living in the U.S. for less than 10 years, Pcat English sections need to be taken seriously. I should have known better myself.

Hey Madagascar!!!

Your composite score is FANTASTIC and now it mostly depends on your gpa and other activities. How did u prepared for other sections?? When did you actually started your preparation for PCAT? Also, my problem will be in english too. I want to do as well as you did. Again, the composite score is excellent. Good JOB!!!!!!

Hey Madagascar!!!

Your composite score is FANTASTIC and now it mostly depends on your gpa and other activities. How did u prepared for other sections?? When did you actually started your preparation for PCAT? Also, my problem will be in english too. I want to do as well as you did. Again, the composite score is excellent. Good JOB!!!!!!

Hey, 2bpharmD.

Thanks for the words. I prepared for the test with pretty much every prep books I could find. :p I took a 2 year break from school before I started studying for the PCAT. I realized that I forgot so much that I had to start all over again.

I used

Barron
Peterson
Kaplan
Cliffnotes
High school AP books(These are helpful!)
and some more

I studied for 2 months. I studied Bio and English the most. I didn't study much of Math except going over Calculus to see if I am ok.

Good luck!