english

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdub

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey,

i just graduated from univ. of washington and it had a very mininal english requirement, ie 1 quarter of english (udub is on a quarter system), i have the minimum, and it was hs ap credit.

anyhow,as many of you know, there are quite a few schools that want a year of english as a prerequisite, or some writing courses. so . . .

1) why do you think that some schools want a year of english? (is it that they want more of a liberal arts/humanities background to equal-out all of that science stuff?)

2) i was in ecuador, so i speak some spanish, and i am a pscyh/zoo major, so with that in my background how big of deal is it that i am "deficient" in english? on those particular apps i am writing in that i plan to take an english course this winter at the local university.

i am not too worried about it, but i just wanted to know what some of you guys think . . . :D

Members don't see this ad.

I only have 1 semester of an english comp. However, I do have courses that involved writing and I have my Master's thesis. I'm hoping that will suffice. My advisor said not to worry - the only school she knows of that has rejected a student solely on the basis of missing a req is NJSOM.

i glad that is not one of the schools that i am applying to. it would be lame to hear that i did not get in because i did not have enough english, i guess i am hoping that it does not effect app much.

my last year app the mcp interviewer did not even notice it, until i brought it up, doh! they did not say that was one of the reasons i did not get in though . . . :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I only have one quarter of actual English comp, plus one quarter of AP credit, plus a quarter of "reading & writing poetry." My advisor says not to worry, esp. as my school has a writing requirement, i.e. you have to take a certain number of courses that are considered writing intensive, and she says the med schools know about it.

Many medical schools will now accept a broad range of courses in other departments as satisfying the "English" requirements. Some schools stick to the year of English meaning writing courses given in the English Department. I truly doubt that Spanish will subsitute. On the other hand, Spanish is the second language in the US and a working knowledge is very useful for physicians and others.

You should always check what a "year of English" means to each and every medical school you apply to. What counts is not what an applicant thinks should, but what a medical school says counts.