Enrolling??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iain

Semental Blanco
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am looking at my options to enroll starting Fall 2005. The way I see it I have 2 options:

My first one is a small State School in Oregon. It seems like my cup of tea - small country community, reasonably cheap ($1000 per semester tuition, $300 for a room, etc). My only concern was looking at their courses, most of the courses I will be enrolling in look like they are required for general education - I attended University abroad, and worry that these classes fill up very quickly, and cause me problems getting into classes, and sticking to my tight 2 year (including summer school) schedule. Do these general Ed classes fill up quickly, and do most of them reach their cap?

My second option is Harvard Extension. I am not overly thrilled about this option, however it is certainly worth looking into. Will I have any problems getting a seat in classes there?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Iain said:
So I am looking at my options to enroll starting Fall 2005. The way I see it I have 2 options:

My first one is a small State School in Oregon. It seems like my cup of tea - small country community, reasonably cheap ($1000 per semester tuition, $300 for a room, etc). My only concern was looking at their courses, most of the courses I will be enrolling in look like they are required for general education - I attended University abroad, and worry that these classes fill up very quickly, and cause me problems getting into classes, and sticking to my tight 2 year (including summer school) schedule. Do these general Ed classes fill up quickly, and do most of them reach their cap?

My second option is Harvard Extension. I am not overly thrilled about this option, however it is certainly worth looking into. Will I have any problems getting a seat in classes there?

Thanks,

Do Gen Ed classes fill up quickly? It depends on your school. Yep, Gen Chem I & II, Physics I & II and Bio I & II are often filled with freshmen and sophomores with pre-med dreams!

I attended a uni in Nebraska and these classes often closed out pretty early. Fortunately as a junior or senior I was always able to get the prof (and the head of said department) to overload the class and let me in. The trick was I was always the first person to ask, so they only had to overload by one.

As long as there is room in the Lab they will usually let you in. Beside, I was cute and charming!

If you register early you won't have a problem getting the classes you want. Most schools have early registration, take advantage of it. Call and find out. I was a procrastinator and that was why I often had to wheedle my way in!

There are a lot of folks on this board that have taken the Harvard Extension route and love it. The classes are not that expensive, (but I think living in Boston would eat out the rest of the cash)!

Which school should you attend? Go where you will be happiest. If you think you can get a quality education at your 4-year school in Oregon for a reasonable price then go for it! It sounds like you feel you will be happier in Oregon, less stressed about money. That may translate into A's.

If you think Harvard Extension will help you out and improve you chances, then go for it! Like I said the folks who post here swear by it. Post on that thread. Those fellows will help you out.

Whatever you choice, good fortune....

Agape

I don't understand why a random school in Oregon and HES are your only two options. Actually, if you need to take summer classes, I would discourage you from going to HES, simply because those classes are so expensive.

At HES, gen chem, orgo, bio, and physics are all open-enrollment, so no problems there. You don't pick a lab section until lecture starts, though, so the exact lab section you get is a bit of a crapshoot. As for other classes, if you search for courses on the HES website, they list the current enrollment and what the enrollment limit is if they have one. That should serve as a pretty good guide.

sidewalkman said:
I don't understand why a random school in Oregon and HES are your only two options. .

I apologize if that was implied. I have looked at a variety of school, but so far Southern Oregon University is my preferred, followed closely by Southern Utah University. HES seems a very popular option, and something I have placed more as a back up, only reason being it is so far away, and the cost of living in Boston is so high.

I do appreciate your input - I spoke to the head of the science school today, whom I discussed my concern getting a seat in the classes I need. She mentioned only one might cause problems (historically based), but I am sure if I work hard, show enthusiasm, etc I can wangle my way in.