DIY Post-bacc help! UCLA Extension vs. concurrent enrollment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blvckbvnny

Reaction score
I'm a pre-med student who just recently graduated from UC Irvine. I am looking to do a DIY post-bacc in the fall/winter to raise my gpa and was thinking of UCLA extension. However, I have heard that extension courses are known to be "easier" than actual UCLA courses designated for their admitted undergraduates. Would I be better off trying to get into the undergraduate courses by concurrent enrollment (non-UCLA students taking UCLA day time courses)? Or should I just go with the UCLA extension route? My main concern is with how admissions officers will view the rigor/reputation of UCLA extension courses. I know that regardless of which option I aimed for, my transcripts would be processed through UCLA extension anyways since I am not a student there. But would admissions officers be able to tell whether I chose extension or took the actual courses with other undergraduates? Is one viewed as more impressive than the other? Any advice would be appreciated because I've been stressing about how to proceed and I need to enroll soon before spaces begin to fill up. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I personally know many classmates who had no problem getting into med school using UCLA extension courses. One got into UC Irvine med. If you do concurrent enrollment they will show up on your ucla extension transcript so no theres no way they will know it was on the main campus vs not unless they specifically ask you about the program during your interview or you get one of the main campus profs to write you a LOR.

Most adcoms dont know many of the postbac programs available out there (or would be pretty impossible to keep up with or vet all of them for quality) but many at least know UCLA is reputable and extend some of that consideration to extension. It's still an accredited institution after all lol they're not gonna suddenly think they're not valid credits.

So in short, probably if they wanna know more they'll ask you. But historically many students have gotten into med school just fine with ucla extension, so you'll be ok.

I personally know many classmates who had no problem getting into med school using UCLA extension courses. One got into UC Irvine med. If you do concurrent enrollment they will show up on your ucla extension transcript so no theres no way they will know it was on the main campus vs not unless they specifically ask you about the program during your interview or you get one of the main campus profs to write you a LOR.

Most adcoms dont know many of the postbac programs available out there (or would be pretty impossible to keep up with or vet all of them for quality) but many at least know UCLA is reputable and extend some of that consideration to extension. It's still an accredited institution after all lol they're not gonna suddenly think they're not valid credits.

So in short, probably if they wanna know more they'll ask you. But historically many students have gotten into med school just fine with ucla extension, so you'll be ok.

thank you, that makes me feel a lot better! :woot: do you know if any of those classmates took the online classes? a lot of days/times for the in-person classes conflict with one another so i am limited, but there is an online endocrinology class that I'm pretty interested in taking. i have heard that online classes are looked down upon? do you know anyone who has taken this route?

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you, that makes me feel a lot better! :woot: do you know if any of those classmates took the online classes? a lot of days/times for the in-person classes conflict with one another so i am limited, but there is an online endocrinology class that I'm pretty interested in taking. i have heard that online classes are looked down upon? do you know anyone who has taken this route?

I knew someone who took that class but lost touch with him so idk if it worked out for him. It doesn't show up as an online class on your transcript, and maybe it wont be a concern unless you are asked about it. I think the problem with online classes is they dont want you to be doing your prereqs/more than 1-2 classes that way. Honestly if you're not sure you should contact the schools you're interested in and check with them.

Now the one thing I will warn you about is course number designation. Correct me if I'm wrong I think endocrinology is like x 400 or something right? IF your purposes are to raise your undergraduate GPA and to take prereqs, this will not help you. Those are considered post bachelors "professional" level classes whatever that means.

Only X/XL/XLC 1-99 (lower div) 100-199 (upper div) are undergrad level and specifically XL counts towards the premed certificate. Also I want to correct something I said earlier: apparently it DOES show now which classes were taken through concurrent enrollment on your transcript, those will be XLC. X and XL are the ucla extension offerings. However, bear in mind I still knew personally many classmates who didnt do concurrent enrollment and got into good med schools just fine. I hope this helps! I know it's a lot to figure out but dont feel bad I felt the exact same way starting out :)

Reactions: 1 user
I knew someone who took that class but lost touch with him so idk if it worked out for him. It doesn't show up as an online class on your transcript, and maybe it wont be a concern unless you are asked about it. I think the problem with online classes is they dont want you to be doing your prereqs/more than 1-2 classes that way. Honestly if you're not sure you should contact the schools you're interested in and check with them.

Now the one thing I will warn you about is course number designation. Correct me if I'm wrong I think endocrinology is like x 400 or something right? IF your purposes are to raise your undergraduate GPA and to take prereqs, this will not help you. Those are considered post bachelors "professional" level classes whatever that means.

Only X/XL/XLC 1-99 (lower div) 100-199 (upper div) are undergrad level and specifically XL counts towards the premed certificate. Also I want to correct something I said earlier: apparently it DOES show now which classes were taken through concurrent enrollment on your transcript, those will be XLC. X and XL are the ucla extension offerings. However, bear in mind I still knew personally many classmates who didnt do concurrent enrollment and got into good med schools just fine. I hope this helps! I know it's a lot to figure out but dont feel bad I felt the exact same way starting out :)

Yes endocrinology is x 400 something. I wasn't planning on getting the actual certificate though since it requires way too many classes. My main goal is to take courses that mimic a med school curriculum/ upper division sciences, since I have already finished my pre-reqs. So i was just planning to pick and choose certain extension courses for ~12 units per quarter. Did your classmates do the entire certificate? As long as I get like 30 credits of coursework in I feel like I would be solid right?

Also, regardless of whether they are XL/X courses at the undergrad level or not, wouldnt they still go into a post-bacc gpa that is separate from undergrad cGPA?

Also, regardless of whether they are XL/X courses at the undergrad level or not, wouldnt they still go into a post-bacc gpa that is separate from undergrad cGPA?

No, that's not how that works. Any class you take at the undergraduate level is averaged together regardless of whether you have a previous degree or not. Graduate GPA is separate but I'm not sure how x400 courses will be classified for you because they're not undergrad and they're not necessarily towards any grad program.

If youre done with prereqs and your goal is to take classes that mimic med school I actually wouldn't recommend UCLA extension then. I'd recommend a formal graduate program. UCLA extension has helped those who needed the prereqs/undergrad classes, and at least with xl 1-199 it is defined in their policy that the courses will match the main campus's expectations... so i'm not sure how non xl 1-199 will look to med schools.

I'm a pre-med student who just recently graduated from UC Irvine. I am looking to do a DIY post-bacc in the fall/winter to raise my gpa and was thinking of UCLA extension. However, I have heard that extension courses are known to be "easier" than actual UCLA courses designated for their admitted undergraduates. Would I be better off trying to get into the undergraduate courses by concurrent enrollment (non-UCLA students taking UCLA day time courses)? Or should I just go with the UCLA extension route? My main concern is with how admissions officers will view the rigor/reputation of UCLA extension courses. I know that regardless of which option I aimed for, my transcripts would be processed through UCLA extension anyways since I am not a student there. But would admissions officers be able to tell whether I chose extension or took the actual courses with other undergraduates? Is one viewed as more impressive than the other? Any advice would be appreciated because I've been stressing about how to proceed and I need to enroll soon before spaces begin to fill up. Thanks!
Hi OP,
So I’m currently entering my 4th year at UCI and also plan on doing a DIY post bacc as a gpa enhancer. I’ve seen several of your posts on here :) and wanted to ask you a couple questions since it’s been awhile.
1) did you consider doing your diy courses at uci and if not why ( if you don’t mind me asking)?
2) if you did end up doing the ucla extension courses how did they go and how much advising did you get for transferring to a different college for your diy post bacc?
3) how beneficial was the post bacc at ucla for you application to medical school?
I know it’s been a while since this post but if I could get a reply that’d be so helpful im super confused on the diy post bacc and some of the advisors I’ve talked to don’t even know what it is so some guidance would be super helpful :) thank you!

Hi OP,
So I’m currently entering my 4th year at UCI and also plan on doing a DIY post bacc as a gpa enhancer. I’ve seen several of your posts on here :) and wanted to ask you a couple questions since it’s been awhile.
1) did you consider doing your diy courses at uci and if not why ( if you don’t mind me asking)?
2) if you did end up doing the ucla extension courses how did they go and how much advising did you get for transferring to a different college for your diy post bacc?
3) how beneficial was the post bacc at ucla for you application to medical school?
I know it’s been a while since this post but if I could get a reply that’d be so helpful im super confused on the diy post bacc and some of the advisors I’ve talked to don’t even know what it is so some guidance would be super helpful :) thank you!
The OP has unfortunately not been active in over 2 years, so I will be closing this thread.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.